Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/207/140

Height: 5'5

Default Trying to stay in control at work

I work at the Olive Garden...do I really need to say more? Sometimes it's really hard to stay in control at work. From the pop (I love coke and cherry coke) to the breadsticks, it's really hard not to eat at work. Somedays if I'm running late and miss breakfast, I will eat a breadstick or 2. It depends on who makes them. If they are really buttery and garlicky, they are so hard to resist. Of course that's when they are the worst. Other times, the cooks will mess up on something and we can all eat it. Even if I have just a little bite of something, I know it adds up. I also work a lot of split shifts, so instead of driving 20 mins back home, I will have something there for lunch. I try not to do it often, or if I do, split with someone. Of course there are other days when everyone wants to go to lunch and a lot of times it ends up being a chinese buffet (which is the only kind of buffet I like, but do I ever like it.) Since I'm a server, I do a lot of walking everyday, but it's so hard not to eat all the time with so much food around. Does anyone else have a job that makes it hard to stay in control?
ohmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #2  
Taking Care of Me

S/C/G: 252/221/140

Height: 5'5"

Yikes! That's got to be tough. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you never arrive at work hungry. For those split shift days you will need to pack your lunch. Let your co-workers know what you're trying to acheive and ask them if they can choose something other than a buffet. If worse comes to worse you may need to just take a book and skip going out to eat all together. Who knows, you may inspire someone to join you on your journey.
chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #3  
On my way back to goal!

S/C/G: 218/201.5/140

Height: 5' 2"

I agree with Chay - the best thing to do is plan ahead for meals and snacks and take them along.

That way, when you get hungry, you can go grab an apple or salad, sandwich or whatever you like.

I do this for myself, and I work in an office setting, but it still helps for portion control and knowing exactly what I can have.

I'm home on medical leave right now, and I've begun planning the menu for the whole day in advance so I don't have to guess for what to have for lunch OR dinner! It's a small piece of mind - and if needed, I can adjust for something else and I know exactly what calorie count I have to work with at any given meal or snack.

Just what works for me...

MariSue
MariSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Hmmm, I remember my waitress days..Living all day on Dr. pepper.
I agree with the others, maybe pack a lunch. None of the places I worked for minded me sticking my lunch in the walk-in cooler!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #5  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Ohmanda, you say you love your coke and cherry coke, outta curiosity do you drink sugar free? If you don't it might not seem like much but it will make a huge difference. And maybe you could ask your colleagues to help you by not encouraging you to eat the 'spares'
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

ohmanda -

At some point in my healthy lifestyle change, I've worked at a McDonald's, a few offices, and an icecream parlor. I understand how you feel! There was free junk at all of them. I brought in my own lunches, invented healthier versions of things that I could throw together at work when I didn't bring a lunch, and learned how to say no. I know that it's not easy. But it's so worth it! Just remember - it's not really free at all, when you think about it in terms of calories. You only have so many calories in a day, so what are you willing to spend them on?

Best wishes!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
Ohmanda, you say you love your coke and cherry coke, outta curiosity do you drink sugar free?
No it's regular pop. Outside of work I only drink sugar free but at work there is just diet coke, which I don't really like. I try to drink water there, but I have to add lemon because there's just something not right about the taste.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda View Post
No it's regular pop. Outside of work I only drink sugar free but at work there is just diet coke, which I don't really like. I try to drink water there, but I have to add lemon because there's just something not right about the taste.
Why don't you take your own diet soda or water (even better!). I've pretty much given up soda except for about one a week and my skin is so much clearer from all the water!!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #9  

I've thought about bringing in my own stuff. Sometimes when I know I will be working a long day, like on a weekend, I generally work 3-10pm and there is no break, I will bring a kashi bar or something. These are the days I have the most problems. When I work short shifts, it's no big deal, but on weekends when I'm there for 7+ hours with no break, I get to the point where I'm really hungry and don't care what i eat anymore. The biggest problem with brining in things that need to be refrigerated is lack of space, but I know that shouldn't be an excuse. Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanda View Post
I've thought about bringing in my own stuff. Sometimes when I know I will be working a long day, like on a weekend, I generally work 3-10pm and there is no break, I will bring a kashi bar or something. These are the days I have the most problems. When I work short shifts, it's no big deal, but on weekends when I'm there for 7+ hours with no break, I get to the point where I'm really hungry and don't care what i eat anymore. The biggest problem with brining in things that need to be refrigerated is lack of space, but I know that shouldn't be an excuse. Thank you all for your suggestions.
I waited tables and bartended in college and know first hand how hard it is in a restaurant!! It's just too easy to grab a bite here and there or have someone else cook for you. I used to take my own lunch bag with the refreeze-able ice things and just store it with my purse/other personal items. This way I didn't have to worry about throwing it in the walk-ins.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM   #11  
On my way back to goal!

S/C/G: 218/201.5/140

Height: 5' 2"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Chick B Gone View Post
I used to take my own lunch bag with the refreeze-able ice things and just store it with my purse/other personal items. This way I didn't have to worry about throwing it in the walk-ins.
Great Idea! And think how great you will feel about yourself when you do bring in your own food, you don't eat what's at the restaurant, and you stayed OP!

Something to defiintely be proud of!

MariSue
MariSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 314/292/150

Height: 5'6"

Olive Garden would be tuff! But, even at my work a law office we have tons of food everyday and I have to just learn how to ignore it and just fill my bottle of water up and leave. I told them about the no sugar for me anymore and they understand, but that doesn't stop them from bring it in. Just something I'll have to live with and control myself. Keep in touch with my sponsor and be brutally honest with her, boy that hurts sometimes, especially when I eat to much bread at a meal. Will probably add that one to my trigger food list.
MiddleSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #13  
Gonna be hot hot hot!

S/C/G: 141/TBA/105

Height: 4'11"

Oh my goodess! Oliver Garden is one of my all time favorite (evil) food places! I work at a desk all day and have a hard time controlling my cravings, I couldn't imagine looking it in the face all day! I like what everyone said about YOU being in charge of what YOU eat. Eating before work, bringing a lunch, etc, is all good advice for anyone struggling with not partaking of the sweet sin that is free fatty and sugary foods!
BellyUp is offline   Reply With Quote