Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Ideas?

Sigh well today I started my exercise and wow I didn't realize I was actually that out of shape....

I started with a pilates video and it was insane. I couldn't do any of it. Not that it was just too much. I just couldn't sit, stand, move like that lol. How embarrassing sigh

I do not have any equipment and joining a gym is not possible at this time. So videos and doing my own thing has gotta be it.

Maybe I just need to start out slower? I would love any ideas or advice. Should I stick with the video and do what I can?

Also I think I want to start walking. Maybe 1 hour for 5 days in a row. Or maybe I should start with 30 mins and work my way up?
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #2  

Have you tried the new Rosemary Conley Brand New You DVD? (I so sound like I'm promoting it!) I get tired easily and I'm not used to a lot of exercise but this DVD has 8 sections and you can do them one after the other or mix them up and find a routine that suits you. Each one Is about 10 minutes long and I picked it up really easy and can feel it working on my legs already!

Also, she has women behind her doing the same routine but some girls do it more intense and others do it lighter and you can follow whichever woman you can keep up with.
Beckyx98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Walk Away the Pounds is my favorite series of videos. You can do them (I was able to use them from the very beginning). You will love Leslie and gang - they are inspiring!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I second Walk Away the Pounds...it is my all time favorite.

But if pilates is what you want, Winsor Pilates Endless Fitness is an easier one that i have done. (and i have a belly and cant do a lot of pilates, but that one i can)

If walking is your things though, definately Walk away the pounds. Really gets your heart going with a little aerobics, that you dont even realize is aerobics.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I go to a gym now, but at first I was on my own. I walked about 3 miles a day - took time to work up to that, I was too out of shape to do much at first, so I would say, start with 30 minutes and see where that leaves you? If you feel great, add more. I would say take time to figure out where your level is rather than picking a number and then maybe feeling bad that you could not do it at first (I speak from experience!)

I also bought (at Target) a couple of sets of hand weights (2 lb, 5 lb, 8 lb) and got some books from the library on strength training (I found several books for the 50ish person, that would be me!) and ended up buying a couple that I really liked. (My favorite was by Joan Pagano) The exercises were simple, most requiring nothing, some just these weights (and you can substitute cans of food, bottles of water, etc. for the weights.) What I liked about my favorite books was that they organized the workouts into sections - upper, core, lower body - and you could mix and match as you needed. I started with low weights, the easier versions of the exercises, etc., and repetitions, and added as I got stronger.

You might try your library for videos, gives you a chance to try out various programs and/or instructors, before you purchase.

I also did some dance videos, lots of fun and different from the usual exercise. Our library had a good selection, different types of dance.

You will be surprised how quickly you will improve if you stay with it. I would bet the pilates video will be doable faster than you think! My advice is, whatever you try, try to do it with the best form you can, and if you can't do it in pretty good form, do the things that you can and wait until you are stronger. It will happen!
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote