Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Good energy bar recipe?

(Excuse the cross posting)

Does anyone have a recipe they like for an energy bar? I would like something to nibble on between meals that isn't full of sugar and doesn't involve a wrapper-- I am trying to lessen my trash, I know that is a bit odd. I like flaxseed and wheatgerm, etc. so the more chocked full of healthy stuff the better. Thanks so much!
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:12 PM   #2  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

Default No Bake Protein Bar

I have made this recipe in the past.. I love it..... It's very easy to make too

No Bake Nutrition Bar Recipe by Stella Juarez

If you don't like the additives in store-bought nutrition bars or hate paying $3 for a meal replacement bar or protein bar snack, you'll appreciate this recipe. My friend Sara passed a recipe on to me from a Body-For-Life message board and I've modified based on some kitchen testing. These are quick to make and make for a nice little snack, too. Best of all, they contain healthy dietary fat, are no-sugar added and do not contain glycerine or other unnatural ingredients. Be sure to keep them refrigerated and don't eat the whole batch at once!

Ingredients:

5 tbsp natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth)

1/2 cup dry oats or whole grain hot cereal (uncooked)

1/2 cup oat flour * (double the oats if you do not have oat flour)

6 scoops chocolate whey protein (~132 grams protein)

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons flax seeds (optional)

1 cup non-fat dry milk

1/2 cup water (depending on what type of protein you use, you may need to add more)

Directions:

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well. Add peanut butter and mix - the mixture will be crumbly and dry. Add water & vanilla. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, everything until a dough forms. The dough will be sticky. Spread dough into pan using a clean wooden spoon or spatula that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Refrigerate a few hours (or freeze for an hour) and cut into 9 squares. Wrap bars individually (use sandwich bags or plastic wrap) or store in covered container between sheets of wax paper. Keep refrigerated.

Modifications: Use vanilla protein and replace ~1/4 cup of the oatflour with a variety of nuts, seeds, or dried berries. Chopped almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries would all work well.

* Making Oatmeal/Oat Flour: To make your own oat flour, all you need to do is put a cup or two of oatmeal in a regular household blender and blend it on high...it will turn into a flour. Store in a covered bowl in the pantry. It takes 1 minute and is VERY easy and cheap alternative to buying in the store.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:

197 calories, 21 g protein, 7.2 g fat (8% saturated), 13.7 g carbohydrate, 1.6 g fiber
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:41 PM   #3  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

These are also very good...

No bake and very nutritious.
INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1-1/2 cups peanut butter (I like chunky)
5 cups whole grain cereal flakes
6 ounces mixed dried fruit bits

PREPARATION:
In a saucepan, stir together brown sugar and honey. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add peanut butter, stir until smooth. Next, stir in whole grain cereal flakes; then add the dried fruit bits to the mixture.

Spread into greased 12" x 7-1/2" x 2" baking pan. Spread 1/3 cup fruit bits on top and press into mixture. Let cool. Cut into 24 bars and wrap each bar in saran wrap. If desired, refrigerate before the trip.
Servings: 24 bars
Preparation time: 20 minutes + cooling
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote