Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Height: 5'6

Default Birth Control Pills and Dieting?

I just started dieting and exercising seriously in the past month. I am on birth control pills (Alesse), and I have been on them for almost a year and a half.

I started bleeding tonight (more like heavy spotting or a light period), but it is a whole week before my period was supposed to start. I am usually very careful about taking my pills on time; this month I only missed one during the first week of my cycle, and I took it then next morning. I am having sex, but me and my boyfriend use condoms every time.

So, my question is, does dieting mess with your cycle while on birth control pills?

Also, is it likely at all that I am pregnant? Or is my body just being weird?
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Probably just your body being weird. but you know, now that you mention it, i always tend to spot/start early when i start a new eating program. So hmm...maybe you are on to something. I HIGHLY doubt you could be pregnant, especially with the condom being used. I wouldnt even worry about that one. Probably the new eating/exercise regimen is the culprit.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/240/160

Height: 5'7''

Wow, this is my first post here and I am new but

I started eating better and working out last tuesday and I am on depo and I noticed today I had some spotting too. I am guessing it is because of this change in my life bc i have not had a cycle in over a year.
mimosa08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Estrogen is stored in fat. I asked my doctor what happens to the estrogen when you lose weight and he didn't have an absolute answer. He thought it was just metabolized away. I wonder what happens before that though, what does your body do if your estrogen levels are higher even for a small time? I don't know for sure, but it makes sense that it could be from the change in lifestyle. Your body will even out eventually. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by zenor77; 04-21-2008 at 09:51 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #5  
Just For Today

S/C/G: 287/170/155

Height: 5' 10"

I take my birth control pills continuously and only stop for a period every six months. When I first started my diet, I had spotting for a couple weeks straight. Now that I've started a new exercise program the same thing has happened. My OBGyn said this is natural, just your body's way of adjusting to something new. Inconvenient yes, problem no.
loserjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Ive never experienced it....
im on microgynon....
as others have sed....
i wouldnt worry about pregnancy....
2 control methods make doubly sure....
must admit im always the same....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Is Alesse a POP (progesterone-only pill)? I used to be on a POP because the regular estrogen pills gave me migraines, and I was fine for about 2 years. And then all of a sudden out of the blue I started spotting. I'm not sure why it started happening, except that it's semi-common with POP's. It could be brought on by exercise and dieting, or it could be brought on just by not taking the pill at the same exact time every day, or something else. I've since switched to Nuvaring, which I love.

If it persists you may want to call your doctor. It's not dangerous, from what I remember, but it was a definite annoyance to be spotting all the time.

Last edited by jellydisney; 04-22-2008 at 07:09 AM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I have a progesterone implant and didn't have any periods at all for months and when I started losing weight I started spotting. My GP replaced my implant and it stopped for a while but has started again more recently. My GP did think it might be related to weightloss.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/159/125

Thanks for the advice everyone! The spotting is continuing and becoming heavier, almost like a full-blown period. I even had to put a tampon in.

I called my doctor just to make sure that my body wasn't becoming "immune" to the birth control pill. I remember when I first went on it, she told me that since it is a very low dose pill, I might have to bump up the dosage in a few years. I'm waiting on a call back though, I'll post back when I hear from her.

jellydisney - Nope, Alesse isn't a POP. Its just really low dose estrogen and progesterone combination.
ShadesofGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/213/150

If it makes you feel any better, i didn't get my period at all for four whole months while i've been dieting. Then, a few weeks ago, it just showed up-- and not when it was supposed to, but a week and a half early. It's been wierd every month i've gotten cramps and bloated but no bleeding, then all of a sudden out of the blue it came like a light period for 3 days. I know diet can seriously affect your period but this is crazy i've been on birth control for ten years!
nutrition junkie is offline   Reply With Quote