Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default What's on your grocery list?

Today the only non-produce items I bought were non-stick foil to cook my fish on, milk, bacon ends(to make bacon bits for DH), and yogurt.

Produce included, but not limited to, apples, pears, mandarin oranges, spinach, chard, watercress, basil, cauliflower, zuchinni, celery, cucumber, mini-peppers, tomatoes. And the most wonderful ripe strawberries. So good they don't need sweetener. I brought them in to work and have them half eaten already.

I always look at what other folks have in their basket. Mine was definitely the healthiest one I saw today. Never thought I'd see it....

How about the rest of you? What are you buying these days?
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Right now I'm really into oatmeal, asparagus, sweet potatoes, falafel, soup, boca burgers, and oranges. Oh and cottage cheese. For some reason I love the cottage cheese these days...

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 04-16-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:44 PM   #3  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Ooh, I'm actually really needing to go grocery shopping today. Here's what's on my list:
Produce - Strawberries (I hope!), tangerines, bananas, plums, nectarines, apples, eggplant, salad greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, green beans, asparagus, carrots, mint, parsley

Bread/Grains - Bread for toast (the nutty, hearty kind... they've been out of my favorite for a while, so I have to find a new one), oat bran, bulgur

Dairy - 1% cottage cheese, 0% Fage, reduced fat feta cheese

Meat - Ground turkey

Other - BBQ sauce, ground coriander
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Tyler, did you ever think that you would be "into" oatmeal? I sure didn't think I would be eating oatmeal for breakfast 95% of the time.

And Lindsey, you mentioned a couple of my favorites: bulgur and mint. I feel so lucky to have a mint plant in my yard. I use it all the time. I use bulgur in place of rice. I really, really, like it - sometimes with mint sprinkled on it!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Typical grocery list for when my mother and I go shopping:
sliced turkey breast, boneless skinless chicken breasts, laughing cow cheese wedges, whole wheat bread, strawberries, blackberries, frozen berries, bananas, other fruits, canola oil cooking spray, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oat meal, baby carrots, celery, yogurt, mini whole wheat flatout wraps, crystal light, diet citrus iced green tea, sweet potatoes, marinade, all the junk the rest of my family wants, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #6  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Oooooh, so many good ideas! Lately have been buying:

eggbeaters, laughing cow cheese wedges, skim milk, strawberries, blueberries, sparkling water, chicken breasts, turkey cutletts, salmon steaks (I freeze them all in 4oz portions), some kind of lettuce, light ranch, and frozen veggies. I've been buying the Steamfresh 4 packs of single serving bags in peas and brussle sprouts. Never thought I would like brussle sprouts! I've also been buying the ingredients for the Impossible Veggie Pie recipe on this site - YUMMY!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #7  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

OH, and Kashi Go Lean Bars, GNU bars, fiber-one bars, and whole wheat bread!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #8  
Bikini Season :)

produce - salad mix, spray on salad dressing, oranges, apples, bananas, grapes, peaches, pineapples

dairy - skim milk (trying to transition to soy), yogurt, brick cheese, cottage cheese, fat free cream cheese

grains - bread, mini bagels, oatmeal, cereal, power bar, whole grain rice, whole grain noodles, whole wheat tortillas

meats - chicken breasts, ground turkey, shrimp, fish fillets (whatever is on sale), thinly sliced turkey deli meats, 45/dog extra lean hot dogs

sauces - spaghetti sauce, ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, various stir fry sauces
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 306/288/145

Height: 5'7"

Default I just went yesterday

And I bought:
salad mix, kashi go bars, shredded wheat, red peppers, sugar free instant breakfast, turkey, light whole wheat english muffins, WW frozen dinners, whole wheat bread, cucumbers, light progresso soups, herbal tea, oatmeal....

And I cannot believe how healthy my cart looked!!! I've been reading posts here for the last few weeks and I am so inspired now about good nutrition. A month ago my car would have had:
chocolate milk, bagels and cream cheese, captain crunch, bacon, pudding, frozen pizza....all junk, no real redeeming nutritional value. Now I can't barely buy anything that doesn't have fiber in it or isn't low fat/cal. I wish we had a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in my area. Just good old Walmart.
karen hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #10  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Well, I just made up the Costco list for tomorrow. On it is:

egg whites, shampoo, smoked ham, smoked back bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, snow peas, grapes, protein powder (the other day it included grapefruit, apples and eggs, but we're not through them yet)

The other list that likely won't be done until the next time we're in a grocery store only has two items on it:

red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar (made salad dressings today and are getting low)
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Just this minute got back from the grocery store.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
lean ground beef
cage free brown eggs
Fage yogurt
mushrooms
baby carrots
celery
garlic
ginger
apples
oranges
snap peas
frozen blueberries
edamame
shredded cheese
powdered milk (for making yogurt)

Yeah. Quite a change from a year ago. And I wasnt' even tempted by the chips on sale or the candy bars at the checkout.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I bought taco salad stuff

2 lbs ground beef
2 packs taco seasoning
1 can refried beans
1 bag shredded cheese
3 bags shredded lettuce
1 jar salsa
1 container sour cream.

That's enough food to last me about 3 days. I usually just make one big batch of something and eat just that until it's gone.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Heh .. most of mine is going to make a big batch of stir fry for the same purpose!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Veggies/Fruit~Artichokes, avocados, asparagus, carrots, celery, potatoes, spinach, onions, scallions, mangos, bananas, oranges, raisins

Grains~Steel cut oats, ww flour to make bread, brown rice, masa harina for making corn tortillas (something new I'm trying.)

Dairy~Mozzerella, milk to make yogurt

Other~Local eggs, dried beans, peanut butter

I can't wait until May 3rd when our farmer's market opens! Between that and the health food store I may not have to step foot in a regular grocery store for awhile. YAY!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I had THREE stops this week - the local produce stand (cheap AND organic???!?! Yes please!), Costco, and the grocery store.

Produce Market:
Giant bag of zucchini
Giant bag of broccoli
Giant bag of red pepper
Apples
Pineapple
Red/Yellow Onion
Bok Choy
Snowpeas
Cauliflower
Strawberries
Asparagus