Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Losing weight on transplant meds

Hello all! I'm a 47 y/o heart transplant recipient that needs to lose 30 lbs. I tried The Ab Diet, which is similar to Atkins, and did lose 8 lbs in two months before my doctors put me on a low protein diet due to bad kidney bloodwork. So, I switched to Weight Watchers using points for two months and lost absolutely nothing. All the while I was walking 20 to 30 minutes on the treadmill 3-5 times a week and using some hand weights. So, I quit that one since it wasn't working. Recently my doctor tells me that between the transplant meds, and menopause (which I seem to be going through)...its doubtful I'll lose any weight. Isn't this just great coming from a doc? His only advice was to eat healthy and keep exercising, which only maintains what I currently weigh. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks. Jeanie
jazzy75149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #2  

With your situation, it is probably great advice. You are only a few pounds overweight. 130 is probably not a realistic goal for someone over 40 anyway. Be very careful with the kidney disease. My husband has end stage renal failure. Follow the diet to the letter - low protein, low sodium, low phosphorous, and low potassium to preserve your kidney function as long as you can.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5'2"

5-7 and 130? sounds pretty fit to me. You can still do toning. when i want to change my shape, i do weight lifting (low weights, lots of reps so i don't bulk up too much). then ti's less about the number and more about the shape/ tone/ strength.
carlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #4  

I'm on long term prednisone and I think it helps to watch the sweets, bread, potatoes, etc. I don't think it's impossible to lose weight but it takes quite awhile.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #5  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

Coming from a pharmacy perspective and from having a sibling with a kidney transplant, it's very hard to lose weight with the medications you have to take.

I don't want to sound negative or redundant, because anyone who can manage to maintain weight is doing amazing.

What can also happen from that drug combo is bloating and water just hanging around. Watch sodium, drink water.

And while it's disheartening to hear that sort of thing from your doctor, he knows what's going on with you and your body. Dieting and exercise can have both good and bad effects with transplant patients, make sure he knows what's going on diet wise. Or maybe get a referral to a nutritionist.

Sorry if that came off preachy, I had to deal with a teenage sister who (for several years) was not a responsible transplant patient.
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy75149 View Post
before my doctors put me on a low protein diet due to bad kidney bloodwork.
Ask the doctor if this means low ANIMAL protein, or if he would like you to restrict plant based proteins (beans, quinoa, soy) as well. Plant based proteins can fill you up for fewer calories & fat than an animal protein will.

You should be watching your sodium as well. 1500mg or less. I can give you some tips/tricks for this:

boneless/skinless chicken breasts frozen in a big bag, are soaked in brine, too salty, just buy fresh breasts when they are on sale & freeze your own with salt free seasonings.

canned foods, make sure they are no salt added. they have more of these varieties now.

canned soups, I would not do. Pacific brand makes a low sodium chicken broth that I use quite a bit to make my own soups. That way, I can control the amt of sodium I am getting. Even the Swanson's reduced sodium broth has over 500mg per serving, which is only a cup. If you have to, I would have the Healthy Request soups, but I always add more water than called for if I do that.

anything from a box, ie hamburger, chicken or tuna helper, potato, noodle, rice mixes, etc are pretty much out of the question unless you have less than a serving.

instant oatmeal has sodium, too. better to make your own & portion it out & freeze it for a quick meal or snack.

You mentioned your kidney bloodwork was bad? What was your creatinine? Your blood urea nitrogen? (BUN) Your GFR? (glomerular filtration rate, measure kidney function) It's important to watch these if you are having kidney trouble.

Good luck!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote