Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 03:32 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds #90

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, or are in the process of losing them, please join us as we support one another along the way! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome, so jump on in and join!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:11 PM   #2  

Default Hi...

Hi everyone. I hope y'all are having a great weekend. Our weather is crazy here...it was in the high 70's and now we are expected to have a record low tonight...somewhere in the teens. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I don't have much time right now, but I wanted to check in...and I also wanted to ask for your prayers for my oldest nephew. He was in a terrible car accident Friday night and is in ICU. Once again, I've been reminded of how quickly life can change. He was coming home from his girlfriend's house and it was raining. They think his truck hit a pool of water and he lost control and his truck flipped. It was on the news, but I never got to see it because I was at the hospital. People who saw it said that you couldn't even tell it was a truck. They told us that Matthew wasn't out of the woods yesterday, but he is much better today. He has been in ICU with severe head trauma and lung trauma...but he didn't have one broken bone. We don't think he was wearing his seat belt, and he is going to get "an Aunt Janet" lecture when he is better. I don't know if I have talked much about Matthew, but he is the one who plays college football. He hates to wear his seatbelt because it's uncomfortable because he is so big. A lot of his football buddies were there and everybody who walked in was like "whoa!!" I got tickled at his best friend. He plays for Ole Miss (those of you not from the south won't know what I'm talking about), and he has been at spring training. He cried like a baby when he found out, and was at the hospital within just a couple of hours (that's not good because he was about 3 1/2 hours away). I lauged at him because he was telling me that he was only up to 290 but was really going to work out and he hoped to be at 305 by play time (and here we all are trying so hard to lose). He bent down to hug me when he left, and I couldn't reach his neck even on tippy toes...and I'm not short...I'm almost 5'9". It was just heart-warming to see these huge guys crying like little boys. The story that Matthew is really going to love hearing about is how his ex-girlfriend and his new girlfriend were both in the ICU waiting room at the same time...now that was interesting.

I didn't mean to bore anyone, but we could sure use your prayers. They started a prayer chain immediately at my brother's church, and I truly believe that is why Matthew has already made a miraculous turn. They were worried about brain damage and about his lung, but he is already off the respirator and although he is semi-conscious now he was able to say that he wanted to watch the Ole Miss/Alabama basketball game (which is on right now)...so I know he is on the road to recovery. I think he is sleeping through most of the game though. I'm on my way back up there now. He will be upset to know that I got to touch him yesterday. He is so funny because my family is very demonstrative...we like to hug...and I'm always trying to hug Matt and touch his face. He hates it! He tries to act so tough, but he has a heart of gold. Anyway, he is going to be horrified to know that yesterday while he was strapped down and completely knocked out, I was able to rub his face and arms, and even hold his hand. He will be horrifed!!

Before I forget, WELCOME to Angie. I think you will find a lot of support here. Hopefully, my next post will be much more cheerful!!

Y'all have a great week, and I'll check in again when I can. Thanks for listening.

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 03-03-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:42 PM   #3  
Inchworm

Janet, I am so sorry to read about Matthew! It does sound like a miracle is in the works. God is Good! I pray that Matthew continues to improve!
God Bless!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:46 PM   #4  
Inchworm

Default An Irish Friendship Blessing

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you

Old 03-03-2002, 06:57 PM   #5  

JANET, I said a prayer for Matthew as soon as I read about his terrible accident. Please keep us informed as to his progress. Your brother and sil must be beside themselves. Thank you for sharing your prayer request with us, and take care.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:13 PM   #6  

Default Thank You...

JOYce and Linda, thank you for your kind words and good thoughts!! DD is on her way home so that we can get back to the hospital. I was online printing out some things she needs for a report that she has to do for school. JOYce, I loved the Irish prayer. We are Irish, so it was especially meaningful!

Linda, you were right about my brother and sil being beside themselves...but they have done surprisingly well. They both have a great deal of faith, and that has helped. This has been especially hard for me because this is my worst nightmare. I worry about this constantly...almost to the point that I have thought I needed to get counseling. Whenever my daughter is on the road, especially if she is traveling any great distance, I am on pins and needles until she arrives safely. She gets so irritated with me because I make her keep her cell phone on and I know I drive her crazy making her always call when she leaves or arrives somewhere. I need to learn to let go, but I'm afraid that this is not going to help the situation...although Matthew was excited today because now he can get the new truck he has been wanting...not the way to do it, but I'm glad that he will be able to do that.

Thanks again for your prayers!

Janet
Old 03-03-2002, 08:36 PM   #7  

Dear JANET, I am thanking God that your brother and sil have such faith. It will surely see them through this very dark time, and I pray that whatever the outcome, the Lord will be glorified. I am sorry that you are so afraid about people (especially your dd) driving, and about what could happen on the road. I can empathize with your fear, it must be almost paralyzing. I'm glad that your dd has a cell phone, that is a godsend, isn't it. Please tell your brother and sil that your friends on this board are holding them, and Matthew, up in prayer. Take care.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:41 AM   #8  

Oh Janet, I am so sorry to hear about your nephew Matthew! He and his parents, and you, will be in our prayers. Please let us know how he is progressing, and remember, through all this, to take care of yourself too. It sounds like you are getting very little time to rest, yourself, with all the hospital trips. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers ...
Luv,
Jan
Old 03-05-2002, 05:39 AM   #9  

Janet, dear friend, you and your nephew and his family are in my thoughts and prayers! It's good news that he was so well oriented when he awakened- God is watching out for him!
Carol
Old 03-05-2002, 07:21 PM   #10  
Inchworm

Wink The doomed garden goddess

I finally put her on my home page, shown on the ceramics page.
I haven't replaced her yet, can't get motivated.
but I did a raku baby doll last night that is pretty wierd! I'll photograph him when he is complete.

Janet, my prayers are still with you and yours! how about an update?

dgd phoned last night to tell me about her wedding gown that she purchased yesterday, sounds lovely, wish I was closer to be part of some of these things. Que sera`, easier this way, I guess.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:00 PM   #11  

OK - I know I have been gone a few days - but this place wouldn't let me in because it didn't recognize me!! What's up with that? Guess they have changed the passwords or something.....

Janet - I am so sorry to hear of your nephew's accident - that would the son of your twin brother, right? I hope he is doing better now and that you can give us an update soon. Matthew is my new sil's name, too, you know. My prayers are with you and your family.

Carol - How's baby watch coming along? I know your dd will be glad when it's all over. That last month is always a l-o-n-g one! Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I laughed at the e-mail you sent me about the old WW program from back in the 70's. I will have you know I was ON that program and actually reached goal - oh I guess it was about 1977. The biggest thing I remember is the LIVER & FISH requirements - Yuck! But it did work - but it was nowhere near the user friendly program it has become! And everything was weighed, weighed, weighed on those little bittie food scales!

Jan - I have been to Benihana's several times - including once in Hawaii ! I always got the shrimp. I haven't been in years, though. Our weather has been weird, too. I think I saved my gardenia & maybe the hibiscus but the cover blew off my daisy bush and I think it froze - I don't know if it will recover. Also, I had Easter lillies about 12" high and the freeze got them, too. Bummer! Course, we are back in the 80's again now too. I hope it stays that way.

Linda - California is certainly the place to garden! Everyone who tried to get a head start on their gardens here paid dearly last week-end. Our weatherman did say this morning we were in for a nice week-end and he planned to be working in his garden! I guess if anyone should know if the cold is over, it would be him, right? Interesting about the elephant garlic - don't think I have ever seen it in the stores, even.

Kendra - We haven't heard from you? How's the gym training going? You just hang in there and don't give up, now!

Joyce - I know you wish you were closer to be able to be more involved in the wedding plans. Gosh, for all the work (and $$$) it took, I just loved planning dd's wedding! She laughs at me because I will still put the video in and watch it from time to time. It was just all so beautiful. I still have this uncontrollable urge to visit the bridal section everytime we go to a craft store!

Well, I am feeling fine. I finished the round of drugs today and I am supposed to go back to see dr. in a couple of weeks. I don't see much difference but perhaps....... Will keep you posted.

Everyone have a great evening. Need to go watch Survivor - it doesn't take too much to entertain me!!
Old 03-09-2002, 09:44 PM   #12  

Hi all! Sure has been quiet in here! I see that JOYce is online, maybe we're both posting right now.

JOYce, your garden goddess is lovely! Where are you going to put her? And I didn't know you did raku too! Is there anything you can't do? I don't think so!!

Texaslady, sorry your daisies and lilies got blasted; we lost a few plants too, such weird weather! And today was so windy, it was hard keeping the van on the road when we went to S.A. Some of the plowed fields around here are just blowing away. It looks like the dust bowl! Sure hope we get rain soon; we're down to our last 12 round bales.
Glad to hear you are feeling ok; I hope the medication did its work, and that you won't need the surgery after all!

Carol, any news yet on the baby? What an exciting time for y'all!

Janet, I hope your nephew is continuing to improve. Have been sending little prayers his way, and for you too. <<hugs>>

DH and I went to WW in S.A. this morning, and he got his little star for the bookmark; he's lost almost 11 pounds so far! A loss every week. I'm so proud of him. He especially likes this leader (a fourth grade teacher) who is my favorite as well; she's very motivating, and also brings out lots of participation from the members. Dh is still contributing to the discussions and taking this very seriously.

I haven't lost since the last wi, but at least am maintaining at goal. I'll have to get more focused on this, if I'm ever going to lose down to my personal goal.

Guess I'd better post this and sign off; weird things are happening to the msg. Hi to Linda and Kendra!
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-09-2002, 11:17 PM   #13  
Inchworm

Thumbs up What I can't do!

LOSE WEIGHT!!!

(fat cow?) I'm being so stubborn and rebelious!! i do not understand!

Jan, I'm glad you like my goddess...she is the one that 'bit the dust', so she will never make it to her intended home in my garden The teacher knocked it off the shelf before it was fired, the first time and then after the "saved part" was fired and glazed, I put it in a potted plant on our front porch and then the wind came and she is history.
Raku, I have done only 3 times in class, I don't enjoy it a lot...time consuming, although the piece is finished faster in the long run,(doesn't make sense, but is true), and a raku kiln is not something that one has in the back yard like my electric one.

Congrats to dh and his star!!!! Dang he's good!!!

Carol, anxious to hear about the baby! how is dd doing? Does your little sweetie realize what is about to happen?

texaslady, I hope you feel better and better! Is surgery still in the near future?

til next time...
Old 03-10-2002, 12:36 AM   #14  

Default I'm eating and I can't stop!!!

YIKES!!! I am going to tell you guys something that I have tried so hard to ignore--I am gaining weight like gangbusters. It started at Christmastime and I think I just kept putting it on. I am feeling like a pig (JOYce, I loved your cow) and like I have totally lost control. There is something wrong with me, and I need to stop this upward trend (poundwise) before I gain all the weight back that I lost. I just seem so hungry all of the time. I try eating veggies and/or fruit, but they just seem to make me hungrier. Am I still allowed here if I am in the process of totally blowing it!!!???

Janet, thinking about you and Matthew and the rest of your family. How is he doing?

Jan -- your dh is doing so wonderfully, as are YOU! I think I need to redo my thinking (or have my stomach stapled...as if!)....

Thanks for listening and not shooting me down!
Old 03-10-2002, 06:05 PM   #15  

Default Hi...

Hi everyone. I hope that y'all are having a wonderful weekend. This weekend is certainly turning out better than my last one. I want to thank you all again for your continued prayers for my nephew, and for all your kind words. Matthew is home now, and continuing to recover. His closed head trauma will take time to heal, but some of that teenage feistiness is starting to return. The last time I checked on him, my sister-in-law told me that he was lying on the couch ordering everyone around. The only thing we are worried about now is that he is not eating...and that is not like Matthew at all.

Carol, I enjoyed chatting with you yesterday. I hope your back is feeling better today.

Jan, tell your DH that I am so proud of him. He is doing great...but I knew he would. It seems that we always have the same weather as you and Texaslady. It has been really windy here too...and Friday it was close to 80 and last night it was in the 30's. No wonder so many people here are sick!

Texaslady, I hope the medication does the trick and you can avoid surgery. I'm glad you were able to save your gardenias...I love them! I have always said that when I get to Heaven, there will be a place where I can lie in a bed of gardenias smelling that heavenly aroma...while someone tickles my feet!

JOYce, you WILL begin to lose weight again (I loved your cow). If you have time, would you send me your website address again...either through PM or email. I have it bookmarked at my office, but I lost it here at home when we got my daughter's new laptop. Since she is staying at home this semester, it's what I've been using. I want to see your garden goddess.

Linda, I was tickled reading your question...Am I still allowed here if I am in the process of totally blowing it!!!??? You bet you are!! If gaining weight or falling off the wagon was a condition for being a part of this group...well, I would have been long gone. I have gained a good part of the 40 that I had lost...and the really scary part is that I don't really care right now. I feel good, but not nearly as good as I did when I had lost the weight. I don't know why I can't seem to get motivated again...but the important thing is that I haven't given up...and coming here is one of the things that gives me hope. Coming here reminds me that it's normal to get a little side-tracked sometimes, but I think about all the success stories...and I know that will be me one day. You are one of those that inspire me...you've done it once and you will do it again!

Speaking of losing weight, I attended a Jr. Miss pageant last night. One of my best friends had a daughter in the pageant. Her daughter won the scholastic and talent parts, and got second alternate. My friend's daughter does not fit the category I'm about to discuss, but I noticed that several of the girls were almost anorexic looking...as were some of the mothers. I'm not just talking about thin...I'm talking about having bones sticking through their skin. I saw one of my friend's neighbors who I hadn't seen in awhile, and I didn't recognize her. My friend said that this woman has been on a losing weight kick and can't seem to stop. Her daughter was the one that won the pageant. It's great to be a healthy weight, and that is my main reason for wanting to lose. I want to look good, but it is mostly for my health. It is just sad to me how so many young people still put so much emphasis on their outward appearance, and are so obsessed with weight.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now. My sweet dalmation who eats everything from metal gutters to cardboard chose now...after being outside all day...to throw up all over my couch. YUK!! As much as I hate it, and although I am now thoroughly grossed out, I guess I had better go take care of her...and the couch. There is no telling what she has eaten to make her sick.

Everyone have a wonderful week!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 03-11-2002 at 01:15 AM.
Closed Thread