Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #1  
All things are possible!!

Default UGH!!!! So upset. . . need to vent

My dh and I are part of a Biggest Loser team, sponsored by our town. Three other ladies are members of our team.

One of the rules to the competition is that you must come to the hospital to weigh in every-other Tuesday. That doesn't sound too hard, does it?? Well, if you miss two weigh-ins in a row, then your ENTIRE TEAM is disqualified.

Yep, you guessed it. One of the other ladies didn't show up the last 2 times, so we're disqualified.

I am so ticked off, I can't even put it into words. My dh and I pinched every penny to set aside the $40 fee to be part of this. We are saving for adoption fees, and that money could have been used for something - - and now, we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

On a selfish note, we are also disqualified from any individual prizes. Until this happened, I was in fifth place for individuals. I was actually pretty excited to learn about that, since it included men AND women. And we all know how quickly men drop weight.

So now I'm just mad. I can't believe that person screwed up our chances. Four other people spent a total of $80, and that money is just gone. UGH!! WHY would someone do that to other people?

On a positive note, I will NOT let this deter me from my weight loss goals. In fact, I'll probably burn more calories walking the track this afternoon, since I'm so mad!

Thanks for listening!
Havingfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am sorry that woman flaked. It sucks when you rely on others and they do not follow through!

To be part of a team takes work. Many people lack accountability, teamwork and grace.

You, you are a winner! Keep up the good work!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

That sux...but ya know what? You are doing this regardless.

Look at you!! 30 pounds gone!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #4  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

So sorry that happened and that y'all are out your $40, that totally blows. I'm glad you aren't going to let it affect your efforts though! WTG!

On a side note, maybe something happened to her and that's why she missed? OR she could just be unreliable too.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #5  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Aww I'm sorry. Poor thing... I did want to say you're doing a great job nonetheless! Also you are an inspiration

jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

That sucks - BIG TIME. I would be upset too. Is this someone you knew? or you just got assigned to be with them?

Don't let it deter you - you are doing great so far. Maybe you and your hubby can make up your own little competitive thing just between the two of you?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #7  
the one on the left

S/C/G: 215/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

You totally ARE doing it on your own, regardless - but I know how you feel, and I'd be steaming too!!

Why don't you and the other team members complain to the Hospital, or whoever is sponsoring it? It sounds like they are just out to make money, rather than encourage and support a healthy lifestyle! Why else would they disqualify EVERYONE on the team because of ONE person? I would get everyone together, and at the very least, protest and complain (in a mature and reasonable but firm manner LOL!!) It can't HURT!

Good luck as YOU continue your success!
alisluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisluv View Post
You totally ARE doing it on your own, regardless - but I know how you feel, and I'd be steaming too!!

Why don't you and the other team members complain to the Hospital, or whoever is sponsoring it? It sounds like they are just out to make money, rather than encourage and support a healthy lifestyle! Why else would they disqualify EVERYONE on the team because of ONE person? I would get everyone together, and at the very least, protest and complain (in a mature and reasonable but firm manner LOL!!) It can't HURT!

Good luck as YOU continue your success!

I actually am not upset at the hospital or the "Community Betterment Committee" that is running the competition. We all went to a meeting before the competition started, where copies of the rules were given out. We were all informed that if there was any rule we didn't agree with, that it was probably a good idea not to participate. I'm not sure about their official reason for this particular rule, but it does make sense to me. It holds everybody accountable, and probably promotes encouraging each other to "get off our butts" and eat right and exercise. I mean, if you know that other people are depending on you, it just might keep you motivated.

To answer the question about whether this was someone I knew. . . not really. When my dh and I first heard about the competition, we knew we needed a team of 5. We weren't sure how we'd get our team. It is kind of awkward to ask a friend, "Hey, you wanna join our team?" without making it sound like, "I am asking YOU, because you NEED to lose weight!" KWIM? This particular person is new to our community and goes to our church. We don't really know her.

This person actually approached my dh, telling him that she wanted to join, but didn't have a team. At the time, we were thrilled!

I've had some time to cool down. I'm still mad, but there's nothing I can do about it, ya know? I did walk on the track today, in the cold and the wind. I'm not going to let this get me down. I actually tried to get in touch with my pastor, to see if there were situations that occured in this person's life that should make me be a little more compassionate toward her. My pastor wasn't home, so I don't have any answers at this point.

Oh well. . . onward and upward, right? (Or is it "onward and DOWNward, since that's the direction I want the numbers on the scale to go?!)
Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Bah, she should pay you back! So sorry that happened to you! Can you just KEEP going with the understanding that you aren't eligible for cash prize? Just you and your husband as a small team of dedicated people - just say "hey, they flaked NOT US!"

Too bad you know this lady from church, will make it hard to give her icy glares at every opportunity With my luck, she'd be sitting behind me on Sunday and I'd have to shake her hand during the "Turn to your neighbor" bit.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Bah, she should pay you back! .
Oh, I agree with that 100%!! If I had caused 4 other people to be disqualified, I would hope that I would have paid back their fees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Can you just KEEP going with the understanding that you aren't eligible for cash prize? .
Yes, the other 4 of us CAN keep going. I know that my dh and I will keep going. The friend that I talked with today (who told me that we were disqualified) is also going to continue to weigh in. I just don't know about the other member. She has had to drive 25 minutes from a neighboring town to weigh in. I honestly don't know if she'll continue. I won't blame her if she chooses not to.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Personally I think that if the hospital is going to disqualify everyone on a team for someone dropping out, they should also refund all of the money of each member who did not leave voluntarily. There are many legitimate reasons that a person could have to drop out (if a team member dies, then the other team members are just out of luck, that seems a little harsh).

Not everyone confides in their pastor when they are facing troubles, so if there are special circumstances, your pastor may not know them. In any event, it is not likely that your pastor will let you know any personal details regarding this woman. In fact, it would be quite unethical for him to do so (or to even give you a "hint" in that regard).

I guess I would give her a call directly, and ask her if she was "ok," because when you heard she'd dropped out, you feared something terrible must have happened. If it has, you can be compassionate, and if it hasn't, it opens the opportunity to express your appropriate disappointment.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-15-2008 at 09:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Pretty much what everyone else has said: That sucks! It doesn't negate the fact that you're doing so well! (You know this ) I'm happy to see that you're going to continue to go for the weigh-ins.

You may never see that money again, but regardless, that woman owes you all an explanation/apology.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote