Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/262/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Hi, I am new here.

I introduced myself on the intro board so if you wanna know about me check it out. I went to my doctor (a new one) last month and talked to him about my weight. You see, I am bi-polar and as I am sure you know, the meds I take do not help my efforts to lose weight. Anyway, he told me that he hadn't seen many bipolar patients, who were taking their meds, skinny. Now that is not to say I can't lose weight...just that I will probably never be skinny. We discussed surgery which he said was not an option for me because if I came out of the surgery in a manic phase I could mess things up. Diet pills are also out...again, they could make me manic or depressed or cycle between the two. So basically I have to do it the old fashion way...diet and exercise...yuck, LOL. I am here looking for some much needed support and motivation. I hope I get to know some of you.
whisperinghope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Ok - first of all - WELCOME ! I think you will find lots of intelligent women who can help you here. I have BiPolar II and have lost almost of all of the weight I have lost to date while being treated for and on meds for it. I don't believe that a blanket statement such as " I have never seen a Bipolar person who is skinny" is a responsible thing for a doctor to say. Skinny itself is irritating - but if you put in the work I'm sure you will be able to do a wonderful job with your weight loss and hopefully keep the BiPolar monkey at bey.

Good luck on your journey !!!
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 272/262/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks...I needed that encouragement!
whisperinghope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Hope and

I'm so glad you found us here at 3FC's

Please, surf the boards........ find a comfy spot, sit, grab a cup of coffee and hold on to your britches b/c your gonna get oodles of support from these lovely ladies.

Again
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

Welcome welcome. Yup a lot of meds for bi-polar and such (I have an assortment of mental diagnosis's) don't help weight loss efforts. I've found focusing on being healthy over the weight loss definitely helps my perspective. Concentrate on eating right and exercising regularly and see how much better you feel and stronger and go from there.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 AM   #6  

Hi! Welcome sweetie!!! I just want to put my arm around you and say "You CAN lose the weight!!!!!!!!!!!" I would love to walk into your Dr.'s office and have a talk with him, because I lost ALL of my weight while being treated for bipolar illness, have maintained the loss for 2 1/2 years now, and within the last year became a Certified Personal Trainer through The National Academy of Sports Medicine. There is SO MUCH HOPE!!!!!! Personally, I do Weight Watchers, and also found a lot of help in a book on emotional eating called "The Solution" by Laurel Mellin. I then did her program, all of the while practicing Weight Watchers principles.

Whatever your individual path, I believe with all of my heart thaqt YOU CAN LOSE YOUR WEIGHT!!!! I still can't believe your Dr.'s blanket statement. Again, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!! You go girl!!!!!!!!

I wish you the very best with loving friendship,

Diana
MomTo5Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #7  

P.S. I neglected to mention that I have taken my meds faithfully for years now.
MomTo5Diana is offline   Reply With Quote