Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #1  
Fighting to Lose

S/C/G: 175/175/150

Height: 5'9"

Question How do I break a plateau

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to break the dreaded plateau. I dread getting on the scale because it doesn't move. I avoid it. I don't know if I should increase my exercise or decrease my calories. I already work out about 45 minutes 5 days a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dawn
fightingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #2  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

Hey fighting, I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I don't know how many calories you are getting in? Maybe you should actually increase your calories. Maybe you are not getting enough calories so your body is holding on. Just a thought.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #3  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I have found if I have a 2 day calorie spike that I can sometimes shake a plateau. I will just relax my diet and for 2 days raise my calories by a few hundred. I think it gets my body excited because it thinks it's going to start getting more on a daily basis and it raises my metabolism. However, you could also just be eating too many calories and you need to take a step down a little bit or start exercising a little more. Like Lois asked: how many calories are you eating now?
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Would you be willing to give us an example of an average day of food & calories along with exercise? Maybe we'll be able to see something that's going on. Sometimes we need to decrease, sometimes increase... unfortunately it's all individual.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #5  
Fighting to Lose

S/C/G: 175/175/150

Height: 5'9"

No problem

I usually work out around 45 minutes and burn 400 calories. I eat a cup of cheerios with 11 almonds and a banana and a cup of milk for breakfast. Luch is usually a sandwhich with lean lunchmeat, rye breat, musturd, and fat free cheese, and a cup of baby carrots. Dinner is usually around 3 ozs. of meat, a cup of vegtables and 1/2 cup to 1 cup of starch depending on if I have snacked a lot or think I will later. I also usually have a couple low calorie snacks like fruit, yogurt, or a 90 calorie granola bar during the day. I also try to drink my water and I drink mayber 1 cup of coffee.

Thanks
Dawn
fightingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Dawn - What I might suggest is trying to raise your calories slightly for a few days to see where it takes you. I've read a lot around here recently that raising calories (even for a few) often boosts our metabolism to work harder to get rid of the extra fuel. This is going to be trial & error, but ya gotta start somewhere.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Try the Fat smash detox..I was stalled and am now on Day 6 of the detox and I lost 6 lbs so far.
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 177/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Hey, I was just wondering, what is the Fat Smash Detox? How does that work? Just curious, I haven't heard of this before.
Thanks! Steph
sheywood4 is offline   Reply With Quote