Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #1  

Default Hello [: New here...

Hello ^^

I'm new to the this site, and believe I need to be here. For two years now I've been trying to lose weight, without result, because of my binging. I can do the exercise (I jog 20 minutes five mornings each week) but when it comes to the food... it's not about what I put in my mouth even, I just feel the urge to eat anything, and a lot of it. Which makes my exercising and food plan all other days useless, because I gain everything back when I slip back into the binging.

So, now, after two years, I've finally realised that maybe I have to talk about it? Talk to people with the same issues? I'm starting new today (: I mean, I did binge and overdo my food plan by 1000 calories (I know), but instead of going: "Oh, it doesn't matter what I do anyway" and overdo it by 5000 calories, I'm going to the gym for an hour of boxing. Then I'll only have overdone it by... maybe 600-700 calories (or how many calories do you burn by an hour of boxing?). And yes, it still makes it a bad day, but atleast it's a step in a different direction.

xxx
woopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Woopa!

Well, as they say in OA (Overeaters Anonymous), admitting you have a problem is the first step!

I think what you're saying at the end of your post is so key. If we beat ourselves up for what we have done, it can make us feel so bad that we do more of that. If, instead, we praise ourselves for what we didn't do, perhaps we'll be motivated to do even better tomorrow. Right?

Lots of people binge and don't exercise at all...so I think you need to give yourself a lot of credit for exercising instead of saying that your bingeing makes the exercise useless. I think you're awesome for jogging at all, ever, let alone regularly!

I totally think it's about baby steps (remember that movie "What About Bob?"). Set tiny goals and work your way through them. In an article I recently read, Geneen Roth points out that:
Quote:
...binge eating is not defined by the amount of food you eat but by the way you eat it. Two cookies can be a binge if you eat them with urgency, desperation, and the pressing need for an altered state.
So, maybe the thing is to focus on eating differently first. Then focus on eating less, or on eating healthier choices. Since it doesn't sound like you're craving anything in particular, maybe you can at least binge on things that are healthier for you. Baby steps and lots and lots of praise.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I speak for myself, but probably most of the other frequenters of this section, that we totally know where you are coming from. Talking to others with similar issues can be very helpful! I recommend joining us on the "Binge Free Challenge" thread, where we all check in and hold each other accountable. It's so helpful!

I know the defeatist attitude like the back of my hand. "I screwed up.. so why not go all out?" That's a really tough habit to break, isn't it?

Oh, and good for you for keeping up with the exercise! You sound a lot like me- the exercise isn't so much the challenge; it's the fridge at night!

Last edited by djs06; 02-15-2008 at 01:47 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #4  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

Me too!!! I can't lose anymore weight either because I can't stop binging either! I exercise 5 days a week too. I run for 30 min an I just incorporated another 20 minutes of cardio. I haven't been able to notice any results because, like you, it doesn't matter WHAT I'm eating...just that I am. I need an accountablility partner, I swear! But during those times I often forget everything around me and am 100% focused on whatever food I am obsessing on at the moment!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/181/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker Chick View Post
Me too!!! I can't lose anymore weight either because I can't stop binging either! I exercise 5 days a week too. I run for 30 min an I just incorporated another 20 minutes of cardio. I haven't been able to notice any results because, like you, it doesn't matter WHAT I'm eating...just that I am. I need an accountablility partner, I swear! But during those times I often forget everything around me and am 100% focused on whatever food I am obsessing on at the moment!
I'll be your accountability partner, no joke. Seriously. I had a lady tell me at my gym "Food is not your friend." I did not even take her seriously because all this time I have been concentrating on not purging after I binge. Without realizing that HELLO! Binging is the start of the problem. So if you are up to it, I know it is not like having someone that can like go over to you house and hold you accountable, but we could be internet accountability partners if you want?!
ashisback is offline   Reply With Quote