Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #1  

Default calories?

hi I just had a question...I always read that its dangerous to consume less than 1000 calories a day, but I'm really short and some calorie calculators say that I only need to eat about 1000 calories a day, so how can I lose weight without eating less than 1000 calories or is it ok since I only need about that many? I don't want to lose a lot of weight but I really dont want to mess up my metabolism...
youngfabbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

What is your daily activity level like? Some of those online calculators can be way off depending on whether or not you exercise, have a desk job, etc.

Also, how much would you estimate you're eating now? When I first started I journaled for a few days just to see what my average was, and then I cut that by 500 cal a day for a 1 lb a week loss. If you exercise daily then you could see bigger losses while eating more calories as well. I'd give it a week and if you don't see any loss after that then I would lower them a bit more, but personally I wouldn't go below 1200 a day for anything. I know metabolism is such an individual thing, but that is pretty low, and you don't really have any room to cut more if you start to stall later in the process.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

I would talk to your doctor or a dietician. Its really different for everyone.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #4  

Thanks!! I think I'm just going to cut junk food out of my diet and try to eat more calories for awhile and see how that goes....but even that can be hard!
youngfabbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #5  
I just need motivation.

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 7 inches

You should NEVER go below 1200 calories a day. AT that point your body goes into starvation mode. You will store all that you eat. Try to eat really balanced, slight more lean protein and exercise. You'll be surprised at your weightloss while actually eating more calories.

Like suggested above...calculate what you normally eat and cut it by 500 calories...if you don't see anything after a week or two..then cut it another 200. BUT try not to go under 1200.
illbehotoneday is offline   Reply With Quote