Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default 20 Somethings Daily Chat: Monday, Jan. 28

Ready, set, go!

Just wanted to start the thread, I'll come back and say something interesting in a few minutes.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #2  

I noticed the 30-somethings do a daily chat thread too, we're not alone!

Hm, feels weird being the first person to post, I don't have anybody to respond to.

So how was everybody's weekends? Everybody stay OP? Go have fun? Do anything exciting?

I did some exercise DVDs in my living room, made a couple of pots of soup to freeze and take for lunches, watched Stardust, played Jenga with DH... It was fun Not exciting though. That's par for the course for my weekends though.

So... I've decided to not write my MA thesis. It's due in two and a half months, and I literally haven't even finished the texts that I'm supposed to be writing on, not to mention any kind of secondary criticism. I have no argument in mind. I'd be totally screwed. So I finally decided to abandon it while I still could and switch to a 1-hour oral exam... Which freaks the crap out of me but it's WAY less stressful than writing a thesis. I get to choose 12 texts from this big master list and study them, then talk for an hour to a couple of profs. Not too bad. I think I can do it. I'm just so ready to get out of school... And now that I work full-time (writing and researching, no less), it was becoming impossible for me to get up the strength to write and research at home every day. I made this decision on Friday, and this weekend was SO nice not having my thesis hanging over my head... I didn't realize how much it was stressing me out til I allowed myself to believe I don't have to write it!! *giant sigh of relief*

Hmm... Only other news is my friend and I just planned a weekend trip to Lexington in a month. Her cousin is in school there and so is my oldest childhood friend who I pretty much never see... I saw her once last term and that was the first time in like 8 years. I'd like to be noticeably smaller by then, as I felt pretty damn frumpy around her (who's overweight too but she really takes care with her dress and appearance, so I felt like a frump regardless). I know it's only a month but I figure since I only lost about 2lbs in the first month I'm due for big losses in Feb, right??

Well, enough about me, how's everyone else?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #3  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Good morning!

My TOM came this weekend. Boooooooooooooo. My weigh in was Sunday and I was down 1 whole lb. Bummer. I'm hoping it's because of TOM and I see a bigger loss next week. Either way, it's a loss. Yay for that.

I had a pretty decent weekend. The weather was gorgeous here in San Antonio. And today the weather is just ****ty.

I've been thinking about my ex-boyfriend a lot recently and it's totally bumming me out. I'm positive it's because he had a birthday recently and I forgot to call and wish him a happy birthday. But we haven't talked in like a month anyway, so I'm not a total *** for forgetting. Oh well.

Happy Monday everyone!

suitejudyblueeyes Helllooo there! Sounds like you had a good weekend. What workout DVDs do you do at home? I want to buy a couple just in case I can't make it to the gym for some reason or another. Ohh, I heard Lexington is such an awesome city. Have you been there before?
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #4  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

Hello chicas! I am sitting around eating my Kashi cereal. Super yum!

My trip to Houston this weekend was an amazingly good time. I really miss all of my friends out there. I've figured out that I should definately get my act together and get out there more often. Once a year isn't cutting it!

I stepped on my scale this morning and literally got right off before it settled. It was up around 3-4 pounds from Thursday! I didn't go off plan THAT much AND I only had a total of 4 beers all weekend. There has to be something else going on. Normally flying blows me up and I retain water. I'll weigh tomorrow and hopefully not be terrified at the results.

There is some big news as well. I broke up with my boyfriend last night. It's official now, I am single. It is bitter sweet. He was very good to me though when I was doing it, very understanding and everything. I had already bought a ticket up there for this weekend and he still wants me to come but only as friends. I don't know what to do!!!!!

suitejudyblueeyes - Your weekend sounds wonderful! Not writing the thesis sounds like the best idea. The oral exam would be terrifying though! I'm sure that you'll rock it.

Katy05 - One pound down is great! It's hard not to get discouraged with smaller losses but at the least the scale is moving in the right direction!
SlimmingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #5  

katy05: I have a couple different ones but right now I'm REALLY into TurboJam. It is absolutely fantastic and feels great. The woman who does it, Chalene Johnson, is VERY motivating and upbeat and wonderful, plus they do a great job picking fantastic upbeat music and matching the tempo of what you're doing and everything. It kicks my butt every time, but I love it. I can't say enough about it!

I also have a couple of yoga ones, a Walk Away the Pounds, and a Tae Bo -- the yoga ones are good for when I'm in the mood for it, the Walk Away the Pounds is nice but I don't feel I get a total body workout from it, and the Tae Bo is a little intense for me right now (too much kicking, makes my hips hurt). Totally check out TurboJam though And CONGRATS on the 1lb, that's still great progress even if it's lower than you hoped. At least it's a loss!

Jill: 3-4lbs in a weekend isn't gonna be fat gain. I'm sure you're just holding some water, travel will do that easily. Sorry to hear you broke up with your bf... though it sounds like something you were prepared for. How long were you guys together? If I were in your position I don't know I'd go fly to see him, but I don't know the details of your situation so I can't really give you advice. I know you'll make the best decision for you, though.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #6  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

hi guys, well my weekend sucked ***. lol Let me tell you y, my best friend stabbed me in the back and betrayed my trust, so were not talking and then my dad had a stroke (he is home now and didnt do any damage) but the only thing good that happened is that i had lost some poundage lol
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:55 AM   #7  

suitejudyblueeyes - I should try a workout tape! That would be a fun way to mix it up on the weekend rather than go to the gym AGAIN. Any ones in particular you would recommend that I could get at say like a Blockbuster?

slimmingdown - Spending the weekend as friends huh? Let me know how that goes. Every seen When Harry Met Sally? If not I highly recommend seeing it before you go ("guys and girls cannot be friends").

CurvaceousCutie - That sucks about your friend! And what happened to your dad sucks even more. Glad there was no permanent damage. Did your friend do something in particular that you would like to discuss? Not everything on this forum has to be about losing weight.

Sooo it's a Monday, I feel like I've been moving like a snail this morning. On my way to work I went to Borders and got the 2008 Calorie Counter book. Lately I've been staying in and eating lean cuisines, but we have a whole bunch of work lunches/dinners coming up and I'd like to be able to continue writing everything I eat in my food journal so I need to have some idea of the calories.

Question: When you guys go on your weightloss kicks (I started writing in my food journal 3 weeks ago and have been super good about it since) do you ever get your TOM early? This has happened to me before when I change my eating habits. Just curious, if this happens to anyone else.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Real quick before I have to go to class:

I had another weekend of bad food choices, but I did work out! Why is that when I work out I don't eat right, but when I eat right I don't work out! Ugh! I really want to get back into the swing of things this week.. I've been saying that for a month now! I've been so stressed out. It is the final semester of my college career! I know I can do this, I really want to be at goal by the time I graduate and start my career.

On the up side, even though I didn't eat right this weekend, the scale didn't go up. At least I'm not going backwards. It's nothing but downhill (on the scale anyway) from here ladies!

I'll come back later and read everyones posts!

Have a Happy HEALTHY Monday!
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Hey all. I wrote a wicked post yesterday and just before I hit submit - My comp decided to take me back to the main page! Not impressed. I'm also not impressed coz it -32C here close to -45C with the windchill! My car was not happy this morning. I spent the night at my bf's so I had to park on the street and I didn't plug it in. I've never heard a car make the kind of noise mine did this morning. But it started and I made it to the gym.

My weekend was pretty fun. Watched a ton of movies yesterday. I totally recommed the ARTIC TALE. The cinematography is unbelievable. Some of those shots are just WOW!

Had the best workout ever on Saturday. I couldn't believe how great it was. Food wise my weekend was a mess. I binged on friday, ate out both lunch and dinner on sat and ate take-out and chips and dip on sunday. I felt soooo bloated....this morning but my trainer worked that out of me. Hopefully if I'm super good this week I won't see a gain on friday when I do my WI.

CurvaceousCutie - so sorry about your weekend. If you need to chat or get anything off your cheast let us know we'd all be happy to "listen"

I'll be back later. Enjoy your monday!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Ah long weekend, I went to go see my parents which means a 10 hour car ride each way. Needless to say I am exhausted and sore today. And of course a full day of classes that start with a lecture about the fact that my prof. doesn’t think we are working hard enough. But I will say I ate really well when I was at my parents but we had Arby’s and BK in the car on the ride home (lunch and dinner). I had fries at both and boy did they make me sick. I love potatoes way to much. I tried not snack which is my downfall when I’m there. I didn’t gain any weight which is good but I didn’t lose either. I have very little food in my apartment until this weekend so I am trying to strategies what to eat. I pulled out some chili that was frozen in my freezer for dinner later in the week, I think I’m going to add some veggie meat to it to stretch it and reduce the calories, maybe thin it out with another can of tomatoes to make it more like a soup so I think I’m getting more when it is really just more veggies.

Jamie – That is exciting that you get to go and see your friend. Sometimes it’s surprising how little weight you have to lose for people to notice. I’ve only lost a few pounds since Christmas but when I went to see my parents and grandparents they all commented on how much smaller I look.

Katy – I was reading that you wanted to buy some work out DVDs. I was about to do the same when I learned that my cable has exercise videos on demand so I can watch them for free, they change them up every few months. Also I have blockbuster online and they have a bunch of fitness DVDs that you can rent. Just some suggestions before you go buy them, at least you could try them out first.

Jill – You probable didn’t gain all that weight it’s probable just water weight as you said. Flying is hard plus if you food out it’s loaded with sodium. Hmmm that is a potential problem going to see your ex. He says he just wants you to come up as friends but there might be more to it depending on the type of relationship you had. But then if I had already bought the ticket I would probable go and find something to do even if it wasn’t hang out with him.

CurvaceousCutie – I’m sorry you had such a rough weekend. Your in our thoughts!

Cookie - I love lean cuisine, I live on them.

Casey – Just stick with it! You will make it. Even if you don’t make it to your goal by graduation think about how much better you look now then if you didn’t change your life. I look at my graduation photos and am ashamed of how big I was. That is what made me change my life. I can’t wait until I graduate again next year and look healthy!

Shantroy – I hate cold! It makes me want to stay inside all weekend. What is Artic Tail about?

Last edited by RememberHowToSmile; 01-28-2008 at 12:14 PM.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #11  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Height: 4'11"

Suitejudyblueeyes: Good luck with everything going on in your life. Lexington sounds fun! Let us know how it goes!!

Katy05: Don't be bummed about only losing 1 lb. Look on the bright side- at least you lost instead of gained! Keep at it!

Slimmingdown: Glad you had fun in Houston! Sorry to hear about your breakup. Personally, i don't know if I would go see him...just my opinion.

Curvaceouscutie: Sorry to hear about your dad. Keep your chin up and if you ever just need a shoulder to cry on.. you know how to get ahold of me! *hugs*

CookieMonster: I hear ya on that whole "snail" thing... Monday's are always slow for me. Try working out... it usually brings me some extra energy.

Caseygail: Do you have a gym membership? I found out that as soon as I joined with YMCA I tend to get more into it. If you already have a membership, maybe get a workout buddy to help you stay on task? Good luck!

Shantroy: Stupid computers anyways. LOL! What kind of workout did you do on Saturday? I'm looking for good workouts to do!

Rememberhowtosmile: I'm in the same boat as you are with the whole food shortage thing. When I get low on food I like to go and buy some chicken breasts and canned veggies. I can spread the chicken out for the better half of the week. You can make sandwhiches, eat it plain, if you get lettuce you can put some chicken in a salad, or you can get chicken helper. So it can be used in different ways so you don't get sick of eating it every day!

About my weekend:

I went completely off task. Didn't exercise Sat or Sun... ate VERY un-healthy. It was stupid, I know.. but it was my friend's birthday... Going to the gym tonight... going to keep at this! I gained a few pounds over the weekend...eek!!!

Last edited by Shorty1985; 01-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/221/136

Height: 5'7

Cookie monster: I hadn't had my TOM in 18 months since I was pregnant and nursing and a week after I started my diet it came!!
2beautiful2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Shorty I did an interval training program that my trainer designed for me. (I can't run due to a messy horseback riding accident involving a dislocated knee and torn patella tendon. I now suffer from patella fermola syndrom.) Becuase of that I have a modified interval training programming.

The program: Start of an incline of 2 speed 3.7 for 2 mins (speed will always stay at 3.7) then up the incline to 5 for 2 mins. After that you increase the incline to 8 then every min you up the incline by 1 until you hit an incline of 12. Then back down to 8, up to 12 and so on. Due that interval cycle 3 times on the last interval you add a 1min incline to 13. It's killer.

But what made the workout so amazing was that I did the interval sequence 5 times! Then I brought it down to an incline 5 for a bit coz I didn't feel like getting off the treadmill. After about 10 mins of walking I decided to try running (rember I NOT a runner). I figured I'd run for about 2 mins...2 mins turned into 3 which turned into 5 which turned in 9. I still had it at an incline of 5 and a speed of 4.6! I couldn't believe it. I probably could have gone longer but the treadmil stops at 1hr and I needed to get a cool down in. But I couldn't believe it I'm not a runner, it usually kills my knee I felt amazing when I got off. Then I went and did some weights. It was killer! Even my best friend who is Miss fitness fanatic (she trained to be a personal trainer, but didn't enjoy it and she has a full home gym in her basement - all gym quality stuff too) was like D@mn girl that's awesome! She was so proud of me which meant the world to me.

As a side note, I have to stay that since I started working out my knees are the only part of me that don't hurt anymore. Every other part of me hurts, my abs, arms, upperback, butt, legs, but not my knees! Which is awesome. b/cmy knees used to hurt all the time. Tylenol 3 barely killed the pain (T4 worked but I was so stoned all the time that I couldn't get anything done. But it sure was fun )

Remember Artic Tale is sort of like March of the Penguinns, but with polar bears and walrusses. It follows a polar bear cub and a walruss pup for 4 years. Queen latifia is the narrator. I felt right at home watching the movie b/c the temp here is on par with the artic - YUCK! Such a good movie, but I definately cried...

Last edited by shantroy; 01-28-2008 at 12:54 PM.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/156/130

hey girls!
i'm new, but i'm just going to jump right in
i had a pretty good weekend after i totally binged on friday (we get donuts in the office, and you would think by now i could figure out how to control that)
my proudest moment was going out to breakfast on sunday - i could have ordered pancakes or a home made sticky bun (YUM), but instead i got scrambled eggs, fruit and hashbrowns (most of which i didn't eat) i didn't feel totally stuffed, and i felt great later when i went to the gym! i weighed in this morning and i was down a pound from last week it kills me though..it's so easy to gain weight and SO HARD to lose it!!! i just need to remember that it's the little things that count, and one pound at a time will get me to goal!

remember - great job on eating well while on a trip..that is always the hardest for me. i'm going to orlando for a work conference, and it is going to take everything in me to eat well while i'm there!

shorty - i always try to remember that it's a new week..you can accomplish anything! so don't worry about the bad weekend

casey - i totally feel you on the working out thing...honestly, i think i eat worse when i work out because i know that i have burned extra calories, so allow myself a little leeway..but i shouldn't, since the point of working out is to lose weight! not allow yourself to eat crap! great job on not gaining, and think about what you can lose this week

curvaceous - i'm really sorry about your dad..i hope everything is ok!
sfrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #15  
clean eating chick

Height: 5'8

Good Morning everyone!

Shantroy- I hear ya with the cold weather. We are having one day of -7 here and then it goes back down to -45 with windchill AND a blizzard warning tonight/tomorrow. I went to the gym today so I don't have to go out tomorrow night!

Today the scale said 144! Yay! I'm very excited to be under 145. Not too much farther to my goal

Does anyone else here live in an apartment? I HATE sharing washing machines and dryers! I hate people who leave their clothes in them. I finally took the clothes out today because I had to do laundry before work, but I hate touching other people's clothes/underwear! I always set a timer for myself so that I remember to go get my laundry, and the one time I left it in for literally 1 minute longer my clothes got taken out, which really pissed me off LOL.
yesitsmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote