Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #1  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Default Hi Ladies - Why Core and not Flex?

I'm starting my third week of WW and thinking of switching from Flex to Core. The counting down of Points makes me anxious throughout the day, and if I've got minimal points left at dinner I tend to blow it. I do like the freedom of being able to eat anything at all, as long as I count it. The weight loss has been very slow, though; two WIs and a loss of only 2.8 lbs.

Core looks very much like low carb to me. I've tried that a few times before and it's always worked great in terms of weight loss but - yikes - my hair falls out like crazy, so I'm a bit leary on that account. I'm also not wild about using artificial sweetners, and FF cheese (except for the plastic slices and cottage) isn't available in Canada. I DO like the idea of being able to eat without counting.

So, in a nutshell, my question is, Why have you chosen Core over Flex?

TIA!

Last edited by Fressca; 01-27-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM   #2  

Default core

I have found that when I'm on Flex, i am never fully satisfied and I crave tihngs with sugar/starch etc. I have found that after a few days on Core, I do not crave anything, except healthy foods. I absolutely love Core. I have slept better on it, reduced cravings and have felt healthier because I'm eating healthy foods!! The weight has come off way faster for me (never came off on Flex)...I don't like to think of Core as low carb, but rather, as a more 'whole foods' approach to eating--fruits, veggies, healthy grains...I'd definitely say to give it a try for a few weeks.
sbrooke723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

I agree, completely! Core takes the pressure off. As long as you can learn to master your satisfaction level you should do great. I wouldn't journal, i was stressed counting points and constantly thinking about my next meal and how many points I had left. I ate junk (my fault....not the program's) and wouldn't spend points on my healthy guidelines. Now I eat fruit and veggies and get in all my milk servings. I don't have to spend points for my healthy oils. Core is NOT a low carb plan at all. You can have carbs at every meal, there are just a few restrictions to be followed. It's really just the bread that's not permitted but you still have your 35 points every week to spend on whatever you want. Water consumption also seems to be more critical on Core than Flex; probably because of the high fiber foods. So, you'll need to drink at least 8 glasses of pure water in addition to your other non-caffeine beverages and exercise. JMHO!

I've lost 25 pounds and have another 120 pounds to go.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #4  
I can do it! ^_^

S/C/G: 194/185.2/135

I agree with the not craving sweets/carbs as much! I'm a carb and sweet freak (usually) and on CORE I find myself not craving them nearly as much! CORE is much more natural foods and not as many processed which is of course healthier for you and CHEAPER! I know people say that healthy food is expensive, but trust me when I say CORE is cheaper than Flex if done right! Good luck to you whatever you decide I hope you reach your weight goals
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #5  

I totally agree with everything the other posters have said. On Core, I feel much healthier. I have fewer food cravings, and I have more energy. That said, you really need to give it at least a month to gain the benefits. Eating Core for a few days will really not net you much but maybe a bit more flatulence as you get used to the increased fiber! But really give it a chance, give the program all you've got, and it will work for you.

Angela
aghiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 10"

Just to add, I chose to go on core as a way to change my eating habits, not just diet to lose weight. Core taught me to rid my house of white sugars and refined flour products. My family eats whole wheat pasta, brown rice, wheat bread ect.. I also like not having to write down and track.

The big thing to keep in mind - there are very little prepared foods that are core. Soups, but thats about it. If you can cook and prepare meals core works well. If you rely on prepackaged food you'll find points may work better. I tend to cook on Sunday's and prepare lunches for the week -- pot of soup or chili. This allows me to have all my lunches prepackaged for the week. I also tend to freeze these. Which work out well for a quick lunch.

HTH
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #7  
Changing behaviours

Well, I looked at the responses on the Flex board first, and thought "Okay, I''ll do Flex with an emphasis on Core foods." Now I look at this board, and see some things that hadn't occurred to me - like the suppression of cravings, and the positive way in which your eating habits change.

I think I may just give Core a go... I'm nervous about screwing up the choices, though; I think that may be my biggest obstacle to going Core.

Last edited by Fressca; 01-29-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #8  

YOu will be amazed at how you won't crave processed foods. I'm not much of a cook at all, and have had NO problems finding enough foods to keep me satisfied. Also, you can track your points while doing Core if you are afraid of not being able to judge your satisfaction levels. I track my points and only eat Core foods. Most days, I' don't eat as many points as I'd be allowed on Flex and am WAY more satisfied. I do think that it takes some people's bodies a bit longer to adjust to core (ie might take more than a week to start losing)--but you when you start, it will happen quickly.
sbrooke723 is offline   Reply With Quote