Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #1  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Default where can i get a food scale?

so i just relized that i count calories and should poke my head in this form as well as the other ones i use. with that said, i ususally use cups and spoons to mesure all my food. but whenever food discribes its caloric increments in oz's im a little lost. where does one get a food scale? i dont think ive ever seen one at the grocery store...for sale that is....

thanx!
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Places like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.

You can also use a postal scale!

I prefer the digital ones so there's no guessing. Mine has both ounces and grams - which can be nice when a nutrition label uses one, but not the other.
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #3  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I just bought one at amazon. Don't have it yet, should be delivered in the next few days. They have a bunch of them on that site with reviews. I ordered the Newline Elegant Digital Glass Kitchen Food Scale. I can let you know how I like it once I get it.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #4  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

I bought mine from Walgreens for about $10. I love it
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Suggestion

We have a Salter Digital Glass Kitchen Scale I purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond. We have had it for about a year and it has worked out really well. It has a feature that allows you to put a plate/bowl on the scale and hit the zero button and the scale will go back to zero so you can then add your food without having to do any math. I am all about not doing math!

Here is the description:
This high-capacity digital kitchen scale has an 11 pound capacity and measures in 1/8th ounce increments. The large, easy-to-clean glass platform allows for weighing of large items. Multiple items can even be weighed consecutively with the tare feature. A simple touch of the button easily converts measurements between grams and ounces. Also features auto zero scale to automatically adjust scale to zero, and auto shut off to conserve battery life. Uses one 9-volt battery which is not included. Ten-year warranty. Model # 6300SVDR.
KidsLibrarylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #6  
Incredible Shrinking Sue

S/C/G: 284/146/150

Height: 5'6"

That sounds like the scale I bought from BB&B...I just LOVE it. That zero feature (forget what it's called...TARE or something) is so great! It is so accurate & I found I was UNDERestimating my proteins & veggies. Sounds like that would be a good thing but I was gypping myself on important nutrients.

The digital scales are more expensive than the regular diet scales but so worth the investment.
suesully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I have a Salter that I love and bought it many years ago at Linen N Things. I have to change the battery about once every 2 years.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #8  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We are considering getting another one. The one we have is about 10 yrs old. When I brought it home, boobalah kinda laughed. After he saw me dividing certain packaged items in half he became a convert. We make our own meat mix to substitute for ground beef. Whenever ground turkey and ground pork is on sale, we buy pounds of it, combine it and break it into 1 lb sections. We put a bowl on the scale, tare it and put the meat in, then to freezer bags and we're done!

We want another one that has a bigger surface. I think I'd like to go the extra money and get one at BB&B or LnT. (Don't forget your 20% off coupon). We'd also like to get one that has the numbers on the side so you don't have to lean down and try and look under the edge of a bowl.

I think they are invaluable.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I have a Salter too and I love it. I've had it for years, have treated it badly and it still works like a champ. I couldn't get by as a calorie counter without it.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 AM   #10  
gonna win the thin!

S/C/G: 270/see ticker/160

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

thanx guys! all your infor was really helpful!
math puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #11  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

I have a non-digital scale that is probably about 25 years old. It gets the job done, but I assume it's not the most precise. I really want to get a digital one, but I need to find a cheap one! Now I'll be on the lookout for one.
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

MissChris, save up for a Salter. It's worth it.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #13  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Its been a couple years but I got my wonderful digital scale at Walmart. Its their Good Cooks brand, and is 2 pcs - a scale and a tray. This one, too, can be set at zero once a plate or bowl is on it which is, IMHO, the best feature of a scale ever created. It also can convert from oz to grams which is great since grams are used on so many nutrition labels. Can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote