Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Default How long, on average...

does it take to get a surgery date after your first info meeting? Is it reasonable to hope for a surgery date in early summer if I start the process in - say - the next month?

I'm a teacher and would like to have surgery when we break for summer. I only have 7 weeks off and would like to be well into the post surgical routine by the time school starts in early August.

Thanks
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:16 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I have come to realize that putting time goals on how fast an insurance company can move is just frustrating. You just don't give up on something you really want. Be the little engine that could.

Now, I'm not sure if my experience is average, but I think that once I found out that my insurance company changed their policy and might cover the surgery, I pushed hard for it and it took about 8 months. They required a lot of paperwork back and forth and a 6 month doctor supervised diet before they would even consider me. I had been fighting to get them to change their policy for 2 years before that...not that I succeeded, I think that was just good luck for me!

Keep at it merryterry, I just know you are worth your time and effort!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-10-2008 at 02:23 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

angela's right. for some insurance companies, once that 'information meeting' requirement is met, require 6 months [sometimes more!] of supervised dieting, no matter WHAT your documented diet history is. others review all the suffering and yo-yo-ing you've done over your lifetime and count it as the supervised diet requirement.

and then a lot depends on your surgeon's workload and scheduling.

as for once the actual papers are filed, it can take two weeks, or a month. i think insurance companies are required to make a decision within 30 days of receiving the request, but sometimes the answer is NO, and you move to an appeal process.

not trying to discourage you, but some insurance companies have many many many hoops and games.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #4  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree on the insurance thing. I've never had it, but know two people who did. One used insurance, and it took over a year.

The other paid out of pocket, and it took 2 months.

Insurance companies are required to make a decision once they have all "paperwork". And they, sometimes, just keep loading it on.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #5  

Wink Thanks for the reality check.

Yeah, I thought it might be like you said. I can't afford to pay out of pocket.
Well, I'll hope for this summer, but plan to wait until next summer.

So, I guess it will be harder than working almost fulltime, going to school evenings, raising 2 kids and a husband, cooking and taking care of a house, volunteering at church and then taking and paying for tests to become a teacher. Gotcha. I can do this.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:26 AM   #6  

You can do it! I believe in you!

Hey there's always Christmas break! Just add a few days or weeks to that time off, eh?

All joking aside, you are looking at making a positive change...change is good in all it's forms! Just remember that it's one foot in front of the other!

Angela
Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #7  
Buffalo Girl

S/C/G: 220/209/128

Height: 5'1"

I'm a retired teacher and have teacher retirement insurance, but it depends on what your particular policy says, I guess. I started in October getting information - then November was my first nutrition class. My last nutrition class is next week, and I've had my psych eval and got my "letter" from my PCP. They told me they'd schedule me after my last nutrition class. Soooo, maybe the wait won't be very long for you either. GOOD LUCK!!! I've still got my fingers crossed - I'm afraid they'll find something I didn't do or something (yikes!). Just keep plugging - it may happen sooner than you think.
GrammyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

I agree with the others.....it really all lies in the hands of your insurance company. Once you secure your approval, things tend to move pretty quickly!

I got my approval the very beginning of May, and had my surgery in July. I am also a teacher, so this was perfect

Although, for me personally, I would have taken off work with no problem because it was a HUGE priority for me to have the surgery, and at the time, I was living with my parents! Big financial help there!

I'm sure it'll all work out!
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #9  

Default Talked to my insurance co.

I called them during my prep period yesterday, expecting to be on hold for awhile, but I wasn't. It may be covered if I meet all the criteria, which I can. I asked for a copy of it which came in the mail today. Ha! If every step would proceed so quickly!

So, I guess I'll start researching in-network doctors and facilities and attend a few info meetings so I can decide who to go with so they can submit to the insurance so I can find out exactly what kind of tricks and flips I need to do while I jump through their hoops!

I was thinking of contacting the my doctors of 20 years that I had before we moved. I know they will have lots of documentation, as well as the nutritionist I saw for awhile. I guess I'll wait till I know exactly what I need before I bother them.

The way my mind works, once I put something on project status, I just obsess about it until it's accomplished. I hate my mind being filled with one thing, especially when I have to wait for the slow machineries of insurance and medical hooha.

Thanks for all your kind responses and well wishes. I really appreciate the support!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #10  

Exactly like me! I get so focused on things...You know I think I waited on hold for 35 minutes once, i would just not give up!

I am glad that you found out that your insurance might cover it, THAT was half my battle!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-12-2008 at 05:07 PM.