Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Question My biggest thing right now is about drinking water post-op.....

I have been doing things these past several weeks to get myself ready...

-chewing my food.
-eating smaller portions for the most part...my capacity to eat large amounts is waning, makes me sick when I choose to "say goodbye" to a food or place to eat...I am doing less of that now.
-not gained weight in fact I have lost the 6 lbs I put on in November.
-exercising...some kind of movement daily.
-taking vitamins, iron and zinc to speed healing and get my vitamin levels up before surgery. I understand that is a good idea...harder to get your levels up then to keep them up.

ANYWAY...

The one thing that is tripping me up is water! I'm used to drinking about 3 gallons a day! I know that just won't fly after surgery. I will need to get myself to drink 1-2 liters a day...I will need to drink, drink, drink afterwards...speeds healing, keeps the body "flowing"...it's necessary for every funtion...but I can down 32 oz in one sitting if I am really thirsty!

Strange as it my sound...I took 8 oz of water, which I am told it what you are supposed to drink in an hour, and timed my sips! To get myself to drink it in an hour, I had to take a sip every 6 minutes! Should I get a watch that goes off every 6 minutes?

I know, I'm a nut but I fear I'm going to be thirsty. It'll be hard to hold myself back, especially when exercising!

Any suggestions on how to not shirval up and dehydrate?

Thanks,

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-07-2008 at 11:54 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #2  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

You will be lucky to get all your water or anything else in right at first. Concentrate on fluids, not so much on food. Don't stress out about it.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

WHOA!!!!! hold on there, angela!!!!! while i think that 3 gallons a day is WAY overboard for anyone, we gotta change your thinking here!!!

most of us DO NOT get enough water in. annie's right - after the surgery, it's HARD to get in the MINIMUM of 64 oz. that's right - the MINIMUM. i usuall drink 100 oz per day, much more in the summer. if i don't, i get dehydrated.

soooo, my suggestion to you is this: practice not drinking with your meals. practice not drinking for at least 30 minutes before, and 30 minutes afterwards.

that should be enough for now!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I was told a few years ago that I drank too much...it could effect the electrolytes and I have actually cut it down!!!!!!!

I have a problem with IBS and needed to raise my fiber intake and take 2 meds that dry my mouth out. I got in the habit of drinking a full 16-32 oz glass of water when I was thirsty and now have to practice taking only a sip...thus the problem I am facing.

I will try...30 minutes before and 30 after a meal and go from there. maybe I will get it down to 2 gallons before Feb. or dare I hope for 1?

thanks,

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-07-2008 at 02:00 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

hmmmm. how about taking that 16 oz of water, and drinking it a bit at a time - neither gulping nor sipping, but just drinking comfortably? and pay CLOSE ATTENTION to how you feel. it's really essential that we figure out the cues that our bodies are telling us - when we're thirsty or hungry, or not thirsty, or not hungry.

baby steps, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote