Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #1  

Default Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

I am looking to have this done in Feb. Any one on this board have this done?
quilting lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I don't know anyone personally that has had it done but this is the place to find them! Here is the website where I read about it.

"Arm yourself with Knowledge and make a Informed Decision." that's my motto!

http://www.lapsf.com/vertical-gastre...ss-surgery.php

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-06-2008 at 12:21 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #3  
Old Cackler

someone around here had it, and as soon as i remember her name, i'll let you know. drat. mom's alzheimer's is rubbing off on me!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #4  

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!! Finally someone will do the same surgery as me.. What would you like to know?
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

where have you been, DELLA???????? come on,darlin - SPILL!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #6  

Hi Della,
I have researched the procedure but I would like to know how you are doing with it. Well, I just looked at your stats and you are doing great! When do you have your VSG. Any problems? Any tips for post op?

I hope to have the surg. in February. I have to be scoped next week and then see the nutritionist but that is about it. I am running the gambit of emotions from very excited to extremely anxious. I just wish this was over.

Any post op tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Carole
Old 02-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #7  

Carole I am so sorry for not getting back to you sooner.. I wonder if you've had the surgery already?!

Here's the thing, my stats look great, but I haven't been doing too great recently. I have gained so much weight over the past couple of months.. I have been so stressed out and I went back to my old comfort/emotional eating habit, and guess what, I realized that I could stretch my stomach now so I did, and hence the weight gain! Of course this is something to expect with every WLS surgery because you actually have to work it for it to work for you, and I had close to 2 years to teach myself to release stress through other means and I didn't!!!

As far as the surgery is concerned, it is similar to the RNY because they actually do the restrictive part of it, but not the malabsorptive part (when they change your intestines). So you end up with shorter time in the operating room and less malnutrition, although it is still a challenge to maintain good nutrition and my hair did fall out, but recovered after my eating had improved (and I must admit I wasn't very good with protein intake). Even though they say you don't get it, I still had dumping but it wasn't too bad..

Honestly over all, I don't regret my choice of surgery, the only thing it lacks is the ability to retighten like the band, but then again, you'll have to work the surgery and you'll always have to find a way to keep loosing and keep the weight off, but honestly, the loosing part was way easier than this.

Good luck to you!! And I will try to check in more frequently, I can't believe it's more than a month since my last post! But I have been feeling so down lately
Old 02-25-2008, 11:08 PM   #8  

Hi Della-I have my surgery on March 25th. I am very excited and am getting all my ducks in a row. Buying my protein etc. I am sorry to hear that you hare having a hard time.

I copied this from a post at the ObesityHelp.com site because I thought I may need it at some time;
http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

It has helped some of the people reclaim their tiny tummy and get off the carbs.

I hope things trun around for you.
Carole
Old 03-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #9  

Thank you sweety.. Keep me updated on your progress and good luck, hope all goes well with you!