General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 10:19 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down PMD #80 - Prevention Millennium Diet

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that.
In interpreting the
guidelines.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:28 AM   #2  
Chick

Default Good morning

I am having a hard time coming back to reality this a.m. My weekend was much too short!

But back I am. I just could not force myself to crawl out of bed when the alarm went off at 5, I pressed the snooze button until 6. Therefore no exercise today. But tomorrow is another day and I plan to have my act together. I packed good PMD food for myself today. I am ready to start the spring diet momentum. Some lbs. gone before the warm weather fashions are pulled out of the closet.

Hey, Alice it sounds like you are doing good with the instructions the Dr. gave you. Just making yourself aware of what is in the food you eat is a major step and a powerful tool.

judi, I hope you are having fun with your company and enjoying the SNOW. Sometimes your "moment of truth" comes at the most unexpected or inconvenient of times, but it is good that it comes. You can be an exerciser, just remember to start where you are and GRADUALLY increase as your endurance increases. No matter how little it seems you are able to do at first, the fact that you are doing it means you are on the road!
Old 01-28-2002, 12:05 PM   #3  

Default Good morning

Thanks for the encouragement Ledom. I know that if I could be consistent, say get a week or two of consistent exercise in, then I would be all right until something MAJOR threw me off. Because the food part is actually fun now and I feel sooo much better not feeling stuffed and queasy...it is a real case of less is more.

Wow, your weekend sounded so heavenly (well, all except for the 10 mile part). I am glad you had such a nice time.

Hi Alice and Shebacat! How are you girls this morning? Did you decide on a kitty, Shebacat?

We are snowed in. DH couldn't go to work this morning. It is really beautiful out here and since we don't have to be anywhere it is quite cozy.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:41 AM   #4  

Default Tuesday morning

Hi! I am procrastinating weighing today, food was good but I had a few days where Chardonnay points put me over...don't feel like facing the music just this moment..later in the day.

Alice, I love antiquing. I just got some (reproduction) chintz plates that I am going to put on the beams in my kitchen today. My decorating scheme if I could say I have one leans towards an English country cottage look. I always get "Victoria" magazine. Do you have that there? I love that look.

Mr. Bentley got dropped in the snow when my D's BF wiped out on the walk to the dog drop in (literally in poor Bentley's case). It took several cookies to calm the pup down but as soon as he saw the other dogs he was fine again. Poor guy. We still have our snow. My car is totally buried at the bottom of the hill.

Alice, 4 lbs. in 3 days...WOW That is impressive! But I think you are right it is fast...not that I would complain about that!

Ledom, are you back from your weekend? Tell us all about it!

Talk to you girls later and will tell you what the scales say.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:53 PM   #5  

Default reporting in

I only lost 1/2 lb this week but considering my wine points it wasn't surprising. I don't think they are worth it fo this week...I have celebrated our friend being here so I won't use that as an excuse. Maybe I will make wine spritzers for myself.

I walked 2 miles on the treadmill this morning, I do feel good about that.

Have a good day one and all!
Old 01-29-2002, 03:32 PM   #6  
Chick

Default judi,

It can't be a big # every week. That is fantastic, you have lost at least 10 lbs. in Jan. I'd be worried if you lost more!!! And two miles on the tread?!? High-five gf!!!!

I am getting back with the program. Exercised this a.m. and I have had two good food days. I need to screw up the courage to get on MY scale. Ready to shed some lbs.

Take care everyone.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:18 PM   #7  

Angry Good evening.....

judi, that's great you lost 1/2 lb. In the past when I dieted some weeks I would have a 3 lb. loss, then the following week, nothing. Keep it up. Keep up the good work on the treadmill. I would have loved to see Bentley covered with snow, the poor little guy. I bet he's getting big though. Actually, I think the 4 lb. loss is an excellent jump start to really stick with something. I am just afraid where it was a significant loss in the first few days that the lbs. will come creeping back when I add more calories.

ledom, glad you are back exercising. I know that once I get really into exercising I don't feel right if I miss a day. Which I did today.

Time to make supper. Take care.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:12 AM   #8  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

How is everyone? I'm just kind of rocking along. Classes are starting to settle into a routine where I am not feeling quite so harried, but still tired at night. I was in bed by 8:30 last night. I am also recovering from my vacation a little bit I guess. Got up and did my workout this a.m. I have been looking at myself in the mirror a lot. Looking for signs of shrinkage. It can be so frustrating. I am much more toned, the drawback, my toned muscles are still covered with layers of flab. Sigh! I think I might be uncovering new layers on the way down the scale. Pudges of fat not noticed before are making an appearance. To have a hard body, that is my dream.

So, yes. I love the English Country Cottage look. I strive for that in my landscaping. My interior is much closer to "Shabby Chic", with a smattering of soutwestern look. Very eclectic like my taste in music, books, food and men.

Have a good one.
Old 01-30-2002, 11:22 AM   #9  

Angry Hello,

I have found a delicious alternative to mashed potatoes. A friend of mine boiled and mashed some celery root and sent some down to me to try. It looks like mashed potatoes, and has the same consistency, but it has a celery-like taste to it. We had it last night with supper. I've gone out and bought some celery root and will try it on my own.

I love the English Garden look with all the flowers. That is what I'm striving for in my garden.

ledom, I'm glad that your classes are starting to settle down. I hope your not discouraged by what you are seeing. You have come a long way.

judi, How is the snow? Is it unusual for you to get a lot? This winter weather is crazy. I heard on the news that Sacaremento CA saw snow, the first in 60-some-odd years.

Hello Shebacat.

Take care and enjoy your day.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:12 PM   #10  

Default smiling

It looks like we all are birds of a feather...I had to smile especially about "being eclectic in books, music, food and (used to be) men". Too true. Hey, it is what makes life interesting, oui ou non?

It is very unusual for us to have this much snow Alice. We usually have days and days of rain instead. My car is a covered up by a snow bank at the bottom of the hill still. My DH went to work yesterday because he has a big truck and driving experience in snow (he grew up in one of the prairie provinces) but he has to park down the bottom of our yard.

I think I have gotten out of the evening eating habit...which for me is a biggy. I kind of got a handle on it by sleeping for awhile in the early evening. Drastic I know. But for the last week I haven't felt like eating at all. Plus, I try to have a complex carb supper.

Alice, I have seen celery root but have been too cowardly to try it, I will though now. Yesterday I was flipping through some garden magazines and they made me long for the spring and summer flowers. My cherry tree (it was about 7 years old) was snapped in half by the snow that fell one night. Back to the drawing board on that one. It was just getting big enough to put on a nice display of blossoms in spring.

Ledom, you will have the hard toned body if any one will. You are so dedicated to your exercise program and a real inspiration to me.

Have a great day!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:37 AM   #11  

Default Good morning!

I did 2 1/2 miles on the teadmill yesterday in the same time I did 2 miles the day before.

I am still snowed in. I made Cheese Danishes from scratch yesterday. Good, but fiddlely.

How is everyone today?
Old 01-31-2002, 11:21 AM   #12  

Angry Good morning,

We are gearing up for a big storm that is supposed to hit later today and most of the day tomorrow. We're supposed to get up to 9" of snow before it turns to freezing rain. If the powerlines get heavy with ice we may lose our power. We just got back from the grocery store to stock up just in case.

My eating has gone very well so far this week. I did have wine last night, but also M & M's. I will just make that my binge food for the week. I haven't gotten on the scales yet this week, I think I am a little afraid to. I did try on a blouse that was snug on me, and I had popped a button. I am able to button where it had popped, and it is loose on me again.

judi, 2 1/2 miles, that's fantastic. What do you do with yourself while walking on the treadmill? When I had my treadmill, I would watch TV. The celery root is very good. The recipe I have is to steam it 20 min. until fork tender, and either in a food processor or hand mixer you whip them as you would potatoes, using whatever ingredients you normally put in potatoes to mash. For a healthier version, add 1/4 cup olive oil. Personally, I like the taste of the mashed celery root better than the mashed potatoes. DH even liked it, and he is very picky about veg. I am so sorry about your Cherry Tree. Snow can do a lot of damage.

ledom & shebacat, I hope both are having a good day.

Take care
Old 01-31-2002, 11:43 AM   #13  
Chick

Smile Alice and Judi,

You guys are such an inspiration. Aren't you glad the holidays are over?!? I have been having a good week as well. I am home today and even though it almost 11 I am about to do my workout. Early morning works best for me, I think I have mentioned.

Yes the weather is crazy. It has been warm and muggy here for the last couple days, temps. 25 degrees above normal. But this afternoon they are supposed to fall sharply. I saw the map Alice and it does look like you are in for it. Moisture is supposed to move out of our area before it gets cold enough to snow or sleet.

Well, onward to that video. I plan to spend the afternoon in my darkroom.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:27 AM   #14  

Angry Good morning,

We got about 6" of snow overnight. Now we are getting freezing rain. I only hope our power stays on.

I hopped on the scale this morning, and I gained 2 lb. I am not upset because this is where I should be if I started out counting calories. Plus those 4 lb. came off too quickly. If I gain more weight next week, I will definitely be upset

ledom, did you get a lot accomplished in your darkroom? I am like you when it comes to working out early in the morning. When time doesn't permit me to work out early, I have to force myself later in the morning, and in the end I am glad I did.

judi, I hope you are having a good day and not still snowbound.

Take care
Old 02-01-2002, 12:30 PM   #15  
Chick

Default I'm pouting,

I want snow too! But not ice - good luck on that one Alice. We had a horrible icestorm last year and it was the pits.

Great attitude about that scale Alice. The scale can get me all bothered so easily and that is why I avoid it so much. But you sound strong and in control.

I did my ab tape this a.m. I just had to push myself through it. Today it was no fun. The ab tape has some great leg stuff to, it is all floor work, I can tell my inner thighs are getting stronger. Just little increments of increased strength is sometimes all the feedback I feel I am getting, but hey I'll take it.

No big plans for the weekend though I am sure it will pass all too quickly. I need to cook some veggies for lunches next week. I didn't get a lot done in the darkroom yesterday, but I did get down there and hope to get some momentum going before the weekend is over.

Take care.
Closed Thread