Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #1  

Smile Bipolar girl here....and a Zyprexa warning.

Hello 3FC'ers!

I just joined this site with my good friend yesterday and I can't tell you how much I'm already getting out of it. This place rocks!!

Okay well, I'll keep it brief but I am 41, single and have had depression most of my life. After being treated for clinical depression for years, they decided I was actually bipolar. So for the last five years I've been under treatment for that. Probably most people who have mental disorders keep it to themselves and sometimes I would really like to but I pride myself on speaking out about it. The way I see it, the only way to get rid of the stigma is to refuse to accept it and be open about mental health the same way people are open about heart disease or diabetes or any other medical problem. I've had people cut me down about my mental issue but I still talk about it because I've been lucky enough to help people by doing so. That makes it worth it for me.

I am Type 2 diabetic thanks to a year of taking Zyprexa for bipolarism. I was part of a class action lawsuit and I won a decent settlement from Eli Lilly. Nevertheless now I have a life threatening disease and I'm not happy about it. I don't mean to sound like I'm offering medical advice, as I'm not, but if you've taken Zyprexa or currently are, please talk to your doctor about diabetes. Nobody told me it could happen. If I had known I never would have taken it. I took this drug to save my life and now it may cost me my life in the long run.

I am currently being prescribed Lexapro and Abilify and I am doing very well on these medications.

I realize depression and manic-depression are not easy things to talk about for the most part but we're all here to help each other in some way. If I can be of help or if anyone just needs or wants to have a talk, is having a bad day, or whatever, I'm happy to listen.

Thanks for reading!
RedGlitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 AM   #2  

Smile

I would like to thank Sara for the very kind PM she sent me. I had my reply all ready to go but I don't have enough posts to be able to send PMs yet. I hope you will see this and know that I appreciate your taking time to write me. That means a lot to me and I thank you. It's a pleasure meeting you!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #3  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

No, thank YOU for sharing.

Soon, you'll have enough posts to reply to PMs. I think it's 20 posts? Maybe 25, something like that.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:38 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Red and

Wowee, I'm so sorry to hear about the diabeties, how horrible......I've never heard of such a thing happening because of medication (Zyprexa) thats pretty darn scary. Do they now list this as something that could happen (or was it listed when you took it?), did your doc know?

Well.... on a happier note, I'm really glad your here and I know your going to get oodles of support and encouragement from the ladies around here. Your right 3FC's ROCKS

Leenie

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #5  

[QUOTE=Leenie;1966811]Hi Red and

Wowee, I'm so sorry to hear about the diabeties, how horrible......I've never heard of such a thing happening because of medication (Zyprexa) thats pretty darn scary. Do they now list this as something that could happen (or was it listed when you took it?), did your doc know?

Well.... on a happier note, I'm really glad your here and I know your going to get oodles of support and encouragement from the ladies around here. Your right 3FC's ROCKS

Leenie

Thanks again Sara!

Hi Leenie. The company that made Zyprexa knew it could cause diabetes in some people and they supposedly made doctors aware of it but they kept it on the market anyway. My doctor either didn't know about it or she didn't think to tell me and a year later I had diabetes, type 2. I'm on insulin and oral meds for it. I sued Eli Lilly in a class action suit. There turned out to be 8,000 claimants and Lilly agreed to pay out $690 million with no admission of wrongdoing. Thanks for the welcome! I love this place! I feel like I belong here already.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #6  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

Ugh, I really hate some things about the legal system, which I'm going to school to be a part of. I hate this no-fault system where companies don't have to admit any wrongdoing; it's not fair!

But at least you got something out of it, even though it's really no compensation for the fact that you now have a serious disease. I have never taken Zyprexa, but my step-mom did for a while, and the side-effects were awful. Stiff joints, muscle spasms, really strange dreams, and she always swore it made her teeth hurt. She got off of it as soon as possible.

Just be strong and keep on posting! This really is an amazing place for support.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Geeze thats amazing Red. Well, we are glad your here and please surf the boards and chat with the chicks...you'll find ooodles of fun, support and love here.

ENJOY !!!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 AM   #8  

Thank you!
Sara that's great that you're going to be part of the legal world! In a different lifetime I would love to do something like that. Best wishes on that!!

Thank you Leenie, for your welcome and support. I was just telling my friend about 3FC last night. She said "looks like you found your home on the web!" How true!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Just remember, it can be slow here during the holidays and some months in the summer (vacations and whatnots) so if folks don't answer you right away...hang in there, they will. I've been here since 1999 (in the 3FC Chat room) but didn't register on the boards until 2001.......talk about finding my home LOL.

Come January when everyone wants to lose those holiday pounds...it'll be busy in here LOL