Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #1  
Determined to lose!

Default Curves??????

I joined curves on 11/30/2007 and some of the machines I know do NOTHING and just read an article where some of them can actually cause more damage!

As a person who holds a desk job I wanted something to hold me accountable and to get me to do some strength building. I thought curves a good alternative as the machines are mostly self explanatory. I'd tried gyms before and was always self conscience and thought the guys were laughing at me!

So, that said, is curves a good starting point for a sedentary worker like myself? If not, what would you suggest? I mean, I have the vhs tapes here but they honestly rarely get used! I have to say I'm inclined to go to curves to obtain my money's worth!

Suggestions welcome!
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #2  

Smile curves

Hi,
I joined curves a few years back and in a few months time I lost two dress sizes and 21 or so pounds. I did the workout 3-4 times a week and only for the half hour. I think it was good for me since I didn't think I could lose anything. Of course I didn't rejoin after my first year due to finances so I became sedentary and put the weight back on.
Go for it. Stay safe and don't hurt yourself by overdoing it.
best of luck.
sheilann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I personally think Curves is an excellent choice. I joined while pregnant since I couldn't jog after a certain point and wanted something to keep me motivated to continue exercise through pregnancy. The good thing with Curves is you can tailor it. IE: While pregnant, there were 3 machines I skipped. And others may have problems with one shoulder or knee, whatever. And they can tailor their workouts around certain machines.

As with ANY exercise, you can get hurt, IF you do it improperly. You need to make sure your Curves location actually works with you to start and monitors you along the way to make sure you're doing it properly. I've been to some that say nothing, and others that are constantly watching the room and stepping in to instruct as needed. You want the latter.

Also as with any exercise, you get out of it what you put into it. The harder you workout, the more rewards you'll see for your efforts.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

When I first started exercising I was terribly out of shape. Curves was a good choice for me because of my physical condition and my mental condition. I was very nervous about exercising in front of people. The first few months were good for me but then the machines became too easy. I also read that not all the machines really helped at all. I stopped using that ab rocker entirely. I upped my time at Curves to an hour and concentrated on my intensity. Fortunately for me the Curves I went to went out of business. I am now going to a wellness center that I adore. I get a much better workout on the elliptical, treadmill, and all the weight machines. But, I do thank Curves for what it did for me. I gained the confidence and commitment to exercise that I lacked for most of my life.

Good luck and stick with it!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #5  
Determined to lose!

Blond, pita, thanks! I will keep going, I want to get my money's worth, but I think I'm already bored, after only five workouts! Friday i was offended, though I shouldn't of been. The lady who was hosting the place was talking, face to face, to everyone while they worked out, but bypassed me! I mean, when I walked in she was talking to the only lady that was there working out. Her time ended and she left, the lady hosting didn't even say hi to me, and when the next work out person came in she said hi, and struck up a conversation! What's up with that? I mean, after all, this lady is the very one that signed me up for this!

Oh well, I guess in six months time I might move up to another place, I do know my town has a local Y, which then I could work out BEFORE work! Curves doesn't have a shower, I refuse to go into work after a workout without one! hahaha.
Loriann7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I think it can depend on what a person wants from a workout. I do walking/aerobic videos and upper body workout with very light weights. That is good for me. Is going to tone and sculpt a little at a time. Some places, like curves, I have been told are for beginners. For people that aren't use to working out. They gain knowledge of the machines and get use to exercising in front of people. Some people would get bored with videos, some people get bored with basic machines and basic exercises. It all depends on what a person wants out of a work out and how much money they have to spend for that workout.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #7  
300+ Chick

I will be joining Curves on my birthday in Janaury. Have heard great feedbacks about this fitness center! Good luck and enjoy!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote