Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:50 PM   #1  

Default Feel like giving up :(

I had surgery back in February to remove Fibroids, but beforehand, I had lost 35 lbs. My initial weight was 237 and I went down to 202, then after th surgery I went up to 208. I stagnated at that weight for a while and just couldnt seem to lose the way I did before my myomectomy. However things personally got worse for me, as my mother got very ill and was hospitalized for two months and I gained 19 lbs because I ate to comfort myself. I was so depressed because my mother had a cardiovascular disorder that almost took her life and I just couldn't cope without food and sleeping pills.

Now I am up to 221. My mom is home and better, but I'm still having the same problems as post-opt.

I don't know what to do anymore.

I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, and though I am more active than I have been in years, I still can't shake these pounds.

What in the world did that surgery do to me? I thought having fibroids removed would help me lose.
Sparklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Hi!

What you're describing sounds absolutely frustrating but in one sense I can relate. Once I lose momentum it's hard to ramp back up to the same enthusiasm. You're describing a lot of emotional stressors that had to be distracting from your eating plan & the workouts.

Here's my thoughts. Have you lost motivation or are you doing everything absolutely right & nothing is happening? Either way, no reason to beat yourself up. There's never a good reason to make the lady in the mirror your enemy.

To get the motivation back, try to remember all of the reasons you wanted to get the weight off in the first place, review, forgive yourself & get back on track. To figure out the food situation, consider keeping a precise food journal. To expect results, plan your workouts & work those plans like you mean it.

You're never alone & believe me this time you're still with friends. Take care & let us know how youre doing.

Marylynn
Dulaneycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Good advice from Marylynn.Remember with dieting you can start over again, anytime. What is past is past. Pick yoursaelf up and get going. You can do this.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:16 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulaneycat View Post
Hi!

What you're describing sounds absolutely frustrating but in one sense I can relate. Once I lose momentum it's hard to ramp back up to the same enthusiasm. You're describing a lot of emotional stressors that had to be distracting from your eating plan & the workouts.

Here's my thoughts. Have you lost motivation or are you doing everything absolutely right & nothing is happening? Either way, no reason to beat yourself up. There's never a good reason to make the lady in the mirror your enemy.

To get the motivation back, try to remember all of the reasons you wanted to get the weight off in the first place, review, forgive yourself & get back on track. To figure out the food situation, consider keeping a precise food journal. To expect results, plan your workouts & work those plans like you mean it.

You're never alone & believe me this time you're still with friends. Take care & let us know how youre doing.

Marylynn
I think I've lost my motivation, especially now because I know the weight doesn't come off as easy as it did before. When my mother got sick I ate a lot and a lot of the wrong things i.e. McDonalds, Ice Cream (Ben and Jerry's). I knew I would gain the weight and I didn't care because I was so depressed, but the thing that worry's me about that is, life is always going to have things that depresses us but I shouldn't have eaten like that.

I wasn't even in my right mind, then on top of that I was betrayed by a long time friend, so I guess I was in a really deep depression that I'm not quite awake from yet.

I know someone mentioned it takes about a year for your body to adjust, but I'm also still suffering with a little anxiety and I snack a little too much, but I snack on the right things.

I'm thinking over my frame of mind and how to get back on track, and now I have good reason to get back on track because I'm having serious health problems that if I don't lose the weight I'm going to be in the hospital soon myself.

When I first started WW, seeing the results of my cousin inspired me and I just dived into it. I lost the first eight pounds just learning how WW worked, and then I joined and lose the rest.

I need that motivation again, that incentive, and a good place to start is my health, but the anxiety over takes the inner health issues and I end up snacking again.

I just have to do it, just make up my mind again.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Sparklez, I know JUST how you feel! - sometimes I feel like just giving up, too, esp. when I TRY SO HARD & see nothing on the scale that rewards me for my efforts! It's frustrating, it's aggravating, & somehow... it just lights another fire under me! - So if I go 3 or 4 weeks without losing at least 1 or 2 pounds, then I'm ready to say "HEY! what I'm doing apparently ain't gett'n it... so I'll try something else!"

I don't know if that's really "good" or "bad" or if that's considered "giving up" (in a way!) but the one thing it does is helps me keep SEARCHING for what's right for me! While I have several co-workers who have lost weight in the past year while I've done nothing but gain it, I keep telling myself IF THEY CAN DO IT, SO CAN I.

Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #6  

If you give up, you will gain even more and those health problems will be compounded - should be motivation to keep us going. Keep posting - we'll try to help. Are you on any medication for depression? I was getting really depressed and the doctor put me on Celexa and I'm like a new woman.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

# 1~ I agree with QUILTER; get some help for the depression first, then you will feel well enuff to get back on the wagon, and start anew.

# 2 ~ Be flexible; I am changing things us a bit to help myself as well. You do have a great motivator: your health; you already know that you NEED to do it; you MUST do it; you CAN do it; and you WILL do it! Just keep pluggin' away ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
If you give up, you will gain even more and those health problems will be compounded - should be motivation to keep us going. Keep posting - we'll try to help. Are you on any medication for depression? I was getting really depressed and the doctor put me on Celexa and I'm like a new woman.

**** Quilter in VA. What part of VA are you located?

Yes I am on an antidepressant that helps both the fibromyalgia and is suppose to help the depression, but the depression seems to piggy back off of the pain. I get depressed more when I'm in pain and during PMS. Two weeks out of every month I feel a lot better, then the two weeks from ovulation to the end of my period I feel like crap.

I saw a hematologist last week and they found some abnomalities with the shape of my red blood cells so he has me holding off of any new drugs until I get the final results.

Congratulations on the weight loss! Eight more pounds to go!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

I am recovering from surgery, too, and I am here to evangelize a little... I started eating low fat, no salt, low/no sugar (due to my meds) and working exercise into my day in little ways- a flight of stairs and then the elevator the rest of the way, etc.- and, my God, why didn't I do this sooner? I am really starting to feel better both physically and about myself. Go easy on yourself and reward yourself for baby steps.

I want to share, a good friend pointed out, "It may be just a drop in the bucket, but how else would the bucket get filled?" I've kinda adopted that positive approach as my motto... I'm up to two flights of stairs before I head for the elevators. It's taken a while but I'll get there... and so will you!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #10  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Please don't give you. You are worth it. Being a healthy, thin person is what everyone should be and we are all worth it. Ok, life has thrown some curves at you, that doesn't mean giving up is the answer. Just get back on track. Eating right and a little exercise will get your right back to where you were. Then you can continue on with the journey and lose even more. What happened yesterday is just that, what happened yesterday. Don't let it mess with tomorrow. Today is a brand new day and a brand new start. You were losing weight which shows you do know how to do it. Take a deep breath and let yourself become the healthy thin person you want to be. Yes, it does take time and yes it is work. It is well worth the effort. You start today, in a month you will look back and say I am so glad I did this for myself.

When you think you are on this journey to a more healthy and thinner person all alone. When there isn't a person in sight to give you the encouragement you need. Remember, God is right there beside you. Usually yelling, put down that candy bar. All we have to do is listen.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote