Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #1  

Default Handling Hypos/Low Blood Sugars

Hi all, I was just wondering what people take for hypos? I work pretty flat out a lot of the time in my pub and the hypos come on quickly when I'm busy. Low sugars make me ravenous and I will eat anything and everything I can lay my hands on to bring my sugar levels back up. I think this is a lot to do with how I've put weight on as my sugar levels obviously go really high later. My usual remedy is a 330ml bottle of lucozade, sometimes 2 bottles if I'm really bad.

I'm type 1 on four insulin injections a day. I'm cutting my insulin right back on weekends to try and avoid the hypos in the first place.

Please let me know if anythng I've said doesn't make sense, I'm in the UK and some of our diabetes talk is a bit different to over the pond!
meechster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi MEECH . . . Obviously you haven't had an oppotunity to look through all the Stickies at the top of the Diabetes Forum, yet.

Here's a link to post with a link to an article about Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia which I hope will help.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...1&postcount=24

The secret (one that is hard to conquer) is to treat a little at a time. I try to always carry glucose tablets and, when I'm away from home I do pretty well with them -- take three tablets (15 g of fast acting carbs) and then make sure you get a decent little meal (including some protein) into yourself as soon as you can. Test again and if you are still too low, repeat the treatment. Afraid I'm not familiar with lucozade. The name sounds like it would be some kind of fast-acting, glucose-based drink, though.

Unfortunately when I'm at home, alone, I tend to panic, I guess, and that's when I can find myself face down in a litre of ice cream. Does eliminate the low -- but sends the BGL soaring in the opposite direction -- not to mention the calories.

What it sounds like you need to do is to ensure that you make time for some decent snacks during your hectic schedule. It is soooooo much easier to avoid the hypos rather than have to treat them.

Good luck with what I think is just about the most horrible aspect of living with this disease; particularly for those who must use insulin.

Last edited by meowee; 11-07-2007 at 08:12 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #3  

I don't have diabetes, just hypoglycemia, but I keep a little plastic 3 oz. bottle of apple juice made for toddlers (Gerber) with me all the time. They are just the right amount of "lift" and fit in my purse.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  

Eating every 3 hours is a fact of life for me too but I am sure you know that.
katmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 AM   #5  

Sorry meowee, I must have totally missed that sticky post but will put it on my reading list for later. I haven't had those dextrose tablets in years, maybe I'll see if I can find them again, seem to recall they're rather like chewing on a piece of chalk!

The fruit juice box idea definitly sounds a good idea, will add them to my shopping list too.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:50 AM   #6  

Forgot to say, I think Lucozade is probably similar to Gatorade that I've seen in the USA? Packed full of sugar and marketing itself as a sports drink.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #7  

MEECH: I use the glucose tablets too. The ones I get taste really good...so I tend to want to just pop one after another in my mouth. The texture is not great, but gosh, I love going hypo so I can have a sour apple one! Perhaps the flavors have improved lately?? (or I am REALLY weird!!)

Last edited by Ellen; 11-08-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote