Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

Default Looking at old pictures?

Is it easier to look at old pictures of your "old" self? I used to look at them when I was that size and wince thinking"Is that me??" I would avoid looking at them at any cost. I'd let people take pictures of me as long as they promised not to show them to me. Now it's easier to look at pictures of myself back then, though I still have issues with pictures of myself now.
I can look at those old pictures and even see the "thin" me lurking beneath the double chin and think be thankful that I'm not quite as heavy anymore (though I have a long way to go still).

Anyone else feel the same?
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 314/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Just last night

I was looking at some old pictures of me in my skinnier days. I was looking at my pictures from the Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose. I was down to about 172 for that trip. I remember being so happy to be at that size and feeling really good. Then life kicked in full force and I blew up to 300! I look at my face in those pictures and think "wow, I was so skinny there. Can I do it again? What will I look like this time?"

I'm actually scared that I'm going to look old. The wrinkles won't be filled with fat anymore. My sister, who's three years younger, looks older than me. She's just a tiny thing with no body fat. Of course she's a sun goddess so that might be what caused her wrinkles. Ah well wait and see.

As for my fat pictures, there aren't many. I was usually the one taking the pictures. I tried to stay out of most shots. I do know what you mean about not recognizing yourself. I changed my hair color from blonde to dark. I'd see some pictures later and see this fat dark haired gal and not realize it was ME! I went back to blonde and am now trying to get back to thin.
Supersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #3  
It's never too late

S/C/G: 187.8/146.8/133

Height: 5'0

I think I kinda feel the same as you. I have always hated to have my picture taken and usually hide from the camera, but even more so the past year after I gained about 35 pounds. I knew I had gained weight, but I think I was denying it and didn't really see it when I looked at myself. I barely let anyone take any pictures of me over the past year, but about a month ago I did look at a couple of pics from this past January, and then May. When I first looked at the picture from January, I was SHOCKED! I couldn't believe that I had gotten that big. I am only 5 feet tall, so 187 pounds is a lot of extra weight. I have never been a skinny girl, but I was at least able to stay under 155 for most of my life. My face was huge, my arms were huge, I just couldn't believe it. I looked at another picture I took in May of this year, and I had lost 7 pounds at that point - I still looked huge, but a little bit better. I had a picture taken the beginning of August after losing about 23 pounds, and I looked a lot better. I haven't taken a picture since then, but I probably should - I have lost almost 40 pounds at this point. I still don't see the weightloss when I look in the mirror, although I hear it constantly from my fiance that I look great and a lot thinner, and my clothes show it since I went from a size 18 pant to a size 12 which is getting a little loose already. Maybe another picture now in some more tightly fitting clothes will let me see the difference.

I don't think it will ever be easier for me to look at the few pictures I have of me at my highest, but it is a good reason to keep losing the weight and to keep it off.
NoVaVTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I actually have a harder time looking at my old pictures now, then when I was actually THAT size.

The truth is, there are so few pictures of me, because naturally, I avoided the camera at all costs. But whenever I did have a pic taken and then I would see it, I was quite horrified, very much so in fact, but now I am even MORE horrified by it. Maybe because back then, as horrible as it was, it WAS me. Now, when I look at old pictures, and yes the ones I purposely took for that all important "before" shot, I am not only horrified, but saddened. I just see this sad, unhapppy, miserable person. I think what a shame it is that I got to be that way, that I LET myself get that way and then STAY that way for so very long. I can't help but see all the pain that I went through and all the things that I missed out on - and for what - some food? It really gets to me.

As much as I hate the pictures, I never want to lose them. It is a reminder to me of where I came from - and where I never want to go again.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:08 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm with Robin on this one. I know, now that I'm the size I am, what I missed out on for all of the years I was that size, so now the pictures just make me really sad. Before, I didn't know what the alternative was. Now I do, and I wish I had gotten to where I am now SO much sooner so I could have enjoyed those years!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

There are very very few pictures of me at my heaviest - about 3 years where I am just not in pictures. It's kind of heartbreaking all the family/fun events that are recorded that I am not in.

I love looking at old pictures of me, I stare at them in fascination, how far I have come, how I used to be. I sometimes feel a little sorry for the old me (especially when I consider the outfits I used to think "looked good.") but it doesn't upset me to look at them, it's more with a sense of wonder, that I did it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I have a hard time looking at my pics now. I look at old pics from like 8, 9, 10 yrs ago and think damn....I need to get to at least looking like that again! lol
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I look at pictures of myself at my HW and think, "Gee, I sure was chubby! "

Now, I see pictures of myself and think, "WHOA! Is that really ME? I'm kind of... thin! Whoa! I have a GREAT BODY! I AM SO FIT!"

I don't mind seeing old pictures of myself at all. They are a reminder of the (almost) 40 pounds that I've lost. When I was at my HW, I thought the pictures didn't look so bad (they DID look like me! and I wasn't HUGE but I was definitely chunky), but now I look at them and smile with relief, knowing I don't look like that anymore!

I know I will never, EVER let myself get to be that size again, because I now know how to eat no more than I am burning off.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote