Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/210/174

Height: 5'4"

Default Day 1 anyone else starting this week

Well today is the day. I know I can do it. I want this so bad. My biggest problem is that I love sweets, so I need to find a substitute. With the holidays coming I will need all of the support that I can get. My son said that this is the worst time to start a diet, and I should wait until the first of the year. I say today is the first day of the rest of my life, and I can do it now, what does everyone think?

Wilma
slim n up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:08 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There's no time like the present! Right now is just a good a time as any. Go for it! The first of the year is a whole 2 months away. So much can be accomplished in that time. You can be well on your way to a fitter, more active, more productive, happier and HEALTHIER life in that time. Those 2 months will pass one way or another. How do you want to spend them?

As far as the sweets goes, well lots and LOTS of us find them to be a big ole problem. For me, funny enough, completely eliminating them was what finally did the trick for me. Once I elminated them, the cravings for them actually ceased. I no longer wanted them. It was a vicious cycle that had to stop. The more I ate them, the more I wanted them. It took a couple of very hard, but WELL worth it weeks and when that period was over, the desire for sweets was just about completely gone. It was amazing to me.

There are some Chirstmas challenges going on around here. Maybe you might want to consider joining one:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...54#post1912454

Good luck to you!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

I began my weight loss journey on November 30 last year--and managed to lose 4 pounds in December! So yes, you can do it! Is it easy? No, it is not! But you can do it!

Think substitutions. Think sugar free. Think low-cal. And limit your alcohol intake. Also, find a plan that you can follow--only you know what works best for you. It might be South Beach--or Weight Watchers--or simply counting calories. 3FC has a whole section just on diet descriptions (go to the home page and click Diets).

And how about activity? Can you take a short walk every day? Do you have any beginning fitness videos, like Walk Away the Pounds? Being more active helps a lot.

Yup, you can!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:51 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Exactly! WHY WAIT? There are gonig to be holidays again next year, too, but we don't put aside our changed eating habits for 3 months. We've changed and are going to enjoy the Holidays in new ways.

You CAN do this! And it may be a that it's a lot of temptation, but have faith in yourself. You can accomplish this. Plan plan plan ahead of time ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

I say go for it, start today whilst you are in the right frame of mind!! As someone said earlier, you could achieve so much in 2 months, you could be down a dress size, you could be springing out of bed all energised, you could be 14lbs lighter - that frame of mind is so important i think, once your in it it seems a shame to waste it!!
Also welcome to 3FC!!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:10 AM   #6  

Yep, I know I can do it. I have a very nice treadmill at home, does heart rate, and calories burned. I also have an ab-lounge not sure how good they work but we will see. I also have a track at work I can walk around it is actually a roadway around the building, but it has been measured and it is exactly 1/4 mile. I also have a fitness room at work with alot of equipment that I can use, but there is no personal trainers just equipment, but it is free for the using to all employees.

I am going to try calorie counting, as my husband is diabetic, and this is what he has to do on his diabetic diet and he has lost 35#'s following this, so this way we can follow it together. I think it will make it easier. I think I will also need all of the help, and outside support I can get also. My biggest problem will be figuring some of the calorie counts, as his is a chart type, and it doesn't give actual calories, just so many fruits, veg, meats, etc per day add up to an average calorie intake of so much ( is this clear as mud). Does anyone know where I can find a good calorie counting chart for this such as fruits, and vegetables. I will have to check out the forums closer, maybe there is already one on here.

I can do it. Now off to work.

Wilma
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

slim u up - Here goes a repete of what is stated above. You know why because it's so TRUE there is never a perfect time to start dieting, getting healthy or however you want to word it. There will always be a holiday, birthday any kind of celebrations around the corner. Take baby steps and never give up. Read threads from others that have been were you are and take what works for you. There are many ways to lose this weight and what may work for me may not work for you. Find what works for you and keep "swimming"
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/288/150

Hi Wilma,

I just started on Monday too. Today is my 3rd day and so far so good.
debbieb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Go for it! When I started my journey last January, I had in mind only to improve my eating habits. It seemed that the more oatmeal, whole grain bread, spinach and tomatoes I ate, the less I craved sweets/salty treats. It took a while, but I was eating a lot of food, so the volume of food made up for the lack of junk food. Or maybe it was a matter of detoxing. Anyway, it gets better as time passes, plus you have the motivation of weight loss to keep you going.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Welcome Wilma!

We have a whole forum for calorie counters, with lots of helpful info about how to go about starting and being a successful calorie counter.

Lots of people find it really helpful to log their food in an online food diary. I use Nutridiary, but Fitday and the Daily Plate are very popular. These sites help you to figure out how many calories to eat each day, how to divide them between carbs, protein and fat, and have huge food databases to make logging many foods/counting calories very simple. With Nutridiary, and I think the Daily Plate, you can enter your recipes so that you can log your favorite meals again and again without having to fuss with entering each of the ingredients each time you make your lunch salad.

Good luck!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also agree, why wait? And if you were like me, the end of the holidays may end 10-15 more lbs or so to deal with. I have to say that the holidays are one of the hardest times for me. Almost every year, I gain 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New years. This year will be different. I plan to lose 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New years
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 142/141/120

Height: 5'2"

Smile

Hi Wilma! I know you can do it! As other people have expressed on this site, even if we've failed 100 times before, that 101st time is the one that works.

I also started this week - yesterday to be exact. I'm counting Day 1 as a success - I didn't go to the gym, but I DID eat less than 2,000 calories for the first day in weeks. Baby steps. My goal for today is not to go crazy with Halloween goodies, because this is a dangerous day - it's the last day of a month and in the middle of the week. Which means I'm tempted to pig out because the start of a new month is perfect for getting a fresh start. But then it'll be Thursday, and who starts a diet on a Thursday? Better to start on Monday, right? DANGER!! I can do it today, and you can definitely make it through the holidays! Lots of great support and friends here.

Good luck!!
GingerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #13  

WOW!! What great support you all are. Today has gone great. No Candy for me. I just got home and will write more tomorrow.

Wilma
Old 11-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Hi Wilma, and for the umpteenth time, !

You should definitely go on the diabetic diet with your husband - since he is doing it already, you can support each other, which will make your weight loss a whole lot easier.

If you feel like you should start now, you CAN start now! Don't wait another month, another week, or even another day, because each moment you wait spawns more excuses and more moments where you feel okay with waiting. Do it now!

Splenda, in my opinion, is probably the best sugar substitute, though stevia is also not bad. You could also try posting in the diet forums to get a whole host of lower sugar suggestions to satisfy your sweet tooth... well, at least halfway
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

Hi and Welcome to 3fc!!!

This is a great site and I`m sure you`ll find all the support you need. As said before the list with food`s calories is very complete, you should check it, and logging your food in any of the sites is good too! I`m calorie counting and it has helped me a lot!
Hope you`re doing great in your 2nd day!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote