Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default Need Help Changing Cardio Plan!

Hello All, for the past 3 months I was doing the couch to 5k program outside three days a week and weight training three days a week. I live in NYC and now it's too dark to run in the morning, like I was doing before, and too dark by the time I get home. The thing is I really enjoyed the running and it got my heart rate up really quickly, I just felt like running pushed me in ways other workouts haven't.

Now I'm pretty much stuck with having to workout indoors. The weights I can do, I just need to know what kind of cardio I can do that will get my heart rate up and really push me the way running did? I can't join a gym at the moment, so if anyone has ideas about videos or workouts I should consider, please let me know. My apartment is pretty small, but I think I may be able to fit in a treadmill of sorts as long as it's not too bulky.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #2  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I like the tao bo videos by billy Blanks! you don't need much room to do them and they now come in kits with multiple videos and weighted band.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I too do the tae bo videos by billy blanks I also have the biggest loser workout video that you can set up your own workout. Theres always jumping jacks, running in place, or you could get a mini trampoline. Good luck with what you come up with and stick with it as the winter months sure can make you not want to do it.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  

Quote:
now it's too dark to run in the morning, like I was doing before, and too dark by the time I get home. The thing is I really enjoyed the running and it got my heart rate up really quickly, I just felt like running pushed me in ways other workouts haven't.
Get some reflective gear (try fogdog.com or your local running store) and run in the dark. You won't be the only one out there.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 10-30-2007 at 12:49 PM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/ticker/110

I love my elliptical machine! I used it all winter long (itīs spring here), it makes my HR go up pretty quickly and I can feel my legs and butt working too! Itīs great!!
Rafaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Jumping rope is a great cardio workout, requires minimal space, the equipment (a jump rope) is cheap, and it's supposed to burn something like 10 calories a minute (not sure what body weight that is based on)--that's 100 calories in just 10 minutes. Here is a jump rope workout from Self.com that you could use to get started. My personal trainer regularly has me jumping rope, sometimes even doing tricky stuff like jumping on just one foot. Don't laugh, it's harder than you'd think.

I also run in the dark. So long as I know the route, stay on the sidewalk or trail, and am wearing light colored or reflective clothing, sunlight really isn't necessary. In fact, it's nice not to have to wear sunscreen, a hat, or sunglasses.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 10-30-2007 at 10:12 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote