South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #1  
Sabbykay

S/C/G: 254/ 220.8 /140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Worry about the cheesestick

Does anyone worry about the cheesestick snack in Phase One?

I am an old Atkins girl and I remember how much the cheese constipated me. So far on South Beach, I have been SUPER careful not to put very much cheese at all on salads, but I have been enjoying my entire cheese stick for snack.

Any thoughts?

Sabbykay
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #2  
it's always something

I personally wouldn't worry. You probably aren't eating very much cheese from what you've described, and this is one of those times when you can listen to your body and not eat more than your personal limit. Another good thing about the South Beach is that it allows a lot of high fiber foods in all phases, which you'll eat more of than when you were on Atkins. If you find you do have some problems, maybe you could add up the fiber you're getting, then add more of the high fiber foods that are allowed on this plan.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #3  

It isn't unusual to have a problem with constipation in phase 1. You can take Sugar Free Metamucil and make sure you drink plenty of water.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Beans, beans, they're good for your heart...

Seriously, though, I never had a problem with constipation in Phase 1 and I had beans (and probably cheese) every day.

Good luck!

Kara
Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wow, Sabbykay! I've never had any constipation problems from cheese. Each body is different, though, and what Suzanne says is true (as always! ): you need to follow what works for your body.

However, SBD is very different from Atkins, especially in the amount of high fiber foods you're allowed to eat. Constipation still happens, but I don't think cheese is usually the culprit. Make sure you eat beans (Kara's right...), bell peppers, and tomatoes to help you get through the detox in P1 with less symptoms. The fiber will also help the constipation. Make sure you get lots of water and when you get to Phase 2, consider adding items like Fiber One to your diet.

Exercise also helps constipation a lot! If you aren't used to exercising much, don't start in Phase 1...it's really tough to do that. But if you've already been exercising a lot, it's fine to continue in P1.

I find SF Fiber Choice tablets to be very helpful, as are over-the-counter stool softeners. Metamucil works too, though some find it to cause gas. Just try things and see what works for you!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I never had constipation problems either, and I did eat a lot of cheese. I think part of it may be all the added greens I was getting that I wasn't before. I maintained my "regularity" throughout, but I know I would have had problems if I hadn't gotten my daily requirement of veggies supplement with beans, of course.
Closed Thread