UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/218/182

Height: 5f 6

Default Sensible weight loss V surgery

Hi

As I've mentioned before I've a holiday coming up next year which is one of the reasons I wanted to lose weight along with the health benefits that come with it. I was doing a weight loss programme with my sister in law as she had a few pounds to lose as well. We were doth doing pretty good then I found out she had a gastric band fitted to stop her eating as much which would help with the weight loss. (She’s very insecure and thinks her b'f of 9 years will leave her if she doesn’t lose the weight which is a load of rubbish as he loves her the way she is and has been supporting her in the weight loss programme and he didn't know about the surgery until afterwards)

Now all I hear is how great she’s doing losing the weight with out trying while I slog it out in the gym hoping to lose 1lb.

I feel I've been cheated and also lost someone who I could rely on for support as we were both in the same situation with the same goals. Now she sits around and the weight falls off.

I wouldn't want to go down the surgery route as it’s just not me

Trust me my motivation is going and I'm starting the feel "what’s the point!"

Am I jealous? I don't think so I’m doing this for me and no one else. Even hubby noticed the difference last night on a night out so it was a bit of a boost

One thing I’ve always like about doing any weight loss programme is the support you get from other people, there’s a lot of it in here but sometimes you need to have it at home as well and having someone beside you when you do it helps keep you motivated. Now all I have is the people in here to support me which so far has been fantastic as were all in the same position just at different points, hoping for the same goal.

Now I’ve had my moan I’m of to do some cleaning, see if I can work the weight off me.
scottishdiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #2  

Well don't be too jealous. She is not telling you the whole story. It is not as wonderful as she is making out and if she does not adapt a healthy diet and lifestyle the weight will come right back on, plus she has potential of all sorts of medical problems caused from the surgery.

My daughter's MIL had WLS or somesort and was loosing away at first but this last year I have seen her she looks bigger every time. My daughter sees her all the time so she has not noticed but I dont see her that much so I have noticed. My daugher says she is not surprised becasue they still just eat junk food.

Also, I had a "friend" that did the diet pill route while I was doing Weight Watchers and dieting on my own and she got real thin. I never have gotten this stomach off like I would like (but that may be partly my age) but I have not really gained much weight since I started trying to be healthy 4 years ago either...now after spending thousands of dollars on a special diet dr to get the pills she has all the weight back plus maybe a few friends.

Just keep dieting and hide a watch...I bet her weight comes back on.
cindyoakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Hello don't be disheartened, just keep at it. I'm sure that old band works for some but since it isn't for you and it wouldn't be for me either. I'd be totally freaked out having something in my insides like that. You are doing so well.

Take good care
Michele

Last edited by micheleherts; 09-30-2007 at 03:41 PM.
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I think you might feel cheated by your SIL but I'm close to a couple of people who've had WL surgery and believe me its not an easy journey either. So initially their loss will be quicker but as their stomach adjusts to the band and their 'pocket' stretches, only if they have adjusted to a healthy low calorie diet will the loss continue.

I think I posted before in reply to you about me being prescribed Xenical. In some way I feel as if I'm cheating myself but know that I still have to do a great deal of work to keep up the weightloss. I don't want to push anyone into something they are not comfortable with but why not discuss your options with your GP. Between you, you might find something that will be right for you.

Chin up.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #5  
I can lose

S/C/G: 285/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5

I'd prefer to plug away at it. Having a band fitted is ok but you still need to have a healthy diet to assist the weight loss. I watched a programme about it and the women really struggled as they tried to continue eating the food that had always eaten. It made them ill.
kn1ghtbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #6  
I can lose

S/C/G: 285/see ticker/175

Height: 5ft 5

There is an article about the gastric band in todays Sun.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,1...450590,00.html
kn1ghtbabe is offline   Reply With Quote