Old 09-29-2007, 08:55 PM   #1  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Default Chinese food calories

We ended up ordering Chinese takeout tonight. I luckily found a special section of the menu with "diet" dishes-- all steamed food, no added oil. I had some steamed broccoli and shrimp and scallops over rice. The thing is, it came with a "white sauce". That is exactly what it was called. I used about 1/4 cup of it on my food. It's a thick, opaque sauce about the consistancy of raw egg whites, and it has a slight onion-y taste. I'm hoping since it came with the diet entrees it is semi-healthy, but I can't seem to find nutrition information for it anywhere. I estimated it at 100 cals per 1/4 cup just to be on the safe side... But does anyone know what else this sauce might be called or what the nutrition info for it is?
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had a very similar "diet" dish before in a chinese takeout. I love that they serve the sauce on the side. To me, it tastes nearly identical to the sauce used in moo goo gai pan, which I'd always heard was one of the best choices you can make in a chinese restaurant. I believe it's chicken and/or vegetable broth seasoned with green onions, and thickened with a small amount of corn starch. I think your estimation probably covered it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

Another question about Chinese. My absolute favorite Chinese food is crab rangoon. I looked up the nutrition information online and it is saying about 70 cals per rangoon. This seems very low to me. Yet multiple sources say this. It seems like the cream cheese alone would be more than 70 cals... not to mention they're deep-fried. I kept my serving small because I knew they would be pretty high in cals... can 70 cals really be correct?!
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #4  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

I just looked online to see what chinese white sauce is made of. And this is wht I found:

http://www.tarladalal.com/recipe.asp?id=4188

Just dawned on me when I was looking this up what you had is called Lobster Sauce. Usually it has lobster meat in it. But it can be used with other things like shirmp or more plain dishes. I had it once and did not care for it.

Let me go see if I can find a calorie count for it sense it can be made different ways and with different foods.

Ok found it. I googled basic lobster sauce calories and came across calorie count website (don't know if the link is ok so I am ommitting that) and here is the stats for basic lobster sauce:

Per serving - 361 cals, 21g fat, 14g carbs, 26g protein

Now theirs is not a basic sauce like what you had and I remember. What I had did not have anything added.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #5  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

on the crab rangoon I found these stats:

1 serving (4 pieces) 210 cals. and 19 carbs. (calorie king)

1 piece 67 cals. 4.2g carbs (diet facts)

1 piece 60 cals 3.0g carbs (calorie count)

1 serving (no size specified) 393 calories 23.9 carbs (allrecipes)

1 serving (8 wontons) 427 calories 32 g carbohydrates (azcentral)

So it varies widely depending on size and how its prepared.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #6  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I think that sauce could also be "oyster sauce," which has the consistency you are talking about and also the coloring...at least I've seen that on menus in the chinese restaurants I go to. I found 1 Tbls has 2 cals in it according to a generic sauce, the Lee Kum Lee brand has 25 cals per 1 Tbls. There are 4 Tbls in 1/4 cup, so that would mean that there are 100 cals in 1/4 cup of oyster sauce (if it is Lee Kum Lee brand). That's not too bad.

Last edited by trooworld; 10-03-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling error
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote