Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

Default TOM and exercise

Well I've been a very bad girl and I got off my exercise routine for about a week. Well I got up this morning motivated to get back on track when TOM came. Now I'm having horrible cramps and I don't even wanna move. Do you ladies stay with your routines during TOM? I thought I read somewhere that exercising can lessen the cramps but they hurt pretty bad right now so I don't even wanna get up and try.
ShyShy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I always work out with TOM, but my cramps haven't bee bad since I had my son for some reason. I've heard that crunches are supposed to help with cramps...who'da thunk it?

But really, hot tea used to help me. Hope you're feeling better and able to get back on track!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #3  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I don't exercise on my cramp & heavy day's because it just makes it worse for me. I have horrible periods. I wish they would just go away. It is very hard getting back into the goove though... I am pretty good @ keeping with the exercise around the periods and it sure has NOT lessoned the cramps for me when it arrives. It DOES help the mood though lol! Hope ya feel better...
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #4  

Thanks guys, I have pretty bad periods too, well it's really just bad the first 2 or 3 days, maybe I'll take it easy today and tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #5  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

TOM is usually a nightmare for me. Heavy bleeding, horrible cramps, etc. It doesn't help that I have uterine fiborid tumors. I started exercising regularaly just after TOM last month and this month there's been a dramatic difference in my symptoms. I also started taking vitamins (a multi, B-12, Calcium, and Fish Oil). I had read an article somewhere recently about how certain vitamins can help during TOM, and I discussed it with my Dr, and it was either that or go back on birth control. I wanted to try the natural way first since we don't need the birth control for contraceptive purposes. TOM stated yesterday and I feel fine, no symptoms whatsoever. The only thing I noticed is that I don't have as much as normal. That's just because I get anemic though, so I went ahead with my walking this morning, I just walked a bit slower.

Right now, I'd advise a heating pad for your cramps.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

I tend not to go to the gym or do aerobics because i just cant bear all that bouncing etc with my poor bloated belly. I do try and have a swim or a gentle walk during the TOM though, sometimes this doesnt happen depends how awful i feel. Mostly i just want to curl up with a good book under the duvet!! Listen to your body though.
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #7  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

A nice leisurely walk pace can definitely help with cramps...of course you may not be able to walk depending on how bad your cramps are. But even when i feel bad, if i can just motivate myself to get up and start walking, i always feel better.
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #8  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

i get really painful cramps, a fever, and a lot of time in the bathroom, but working out makes me feel better. I do a lot of deep breathing, some yoga stretches, and however much cardio i can handle. Midol and other pain relievers can help some.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I want to live on the planet you all live on lol. Exercise during my dot. Go for a walk, what in the fetal position lol. Ride a bike, the handles and the pedals are to far apart lol. I flow so hard I am lucky to walk down the stairs let alone out of the house. Me and Mr Darvon are best friends for the first couple of days. All I can do to get the housework and cooking done lol.

Lucky this only happens a few times a year. Haven't had bad pain with my dot since I had my children.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-26-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #10  

My cramps have eased up a bit so I'm going to try and do a little exercise, but not beat myself up if I can't do alot. My honey is so sweet, he said he'd have my period for me if he could, lol. I'm thinking he'd have it once then give it right back to me, lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #11  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

ShyShy
Ever notice how they say they would take things from us that there is no way in the world they can take from us. lol How many times have you heard a man tell his darling wife. I will take all the housework away from you, I will take all the hard work of raising the kids from you, I will take all the aggravation of putting up with me when I am in a bad mood from you. lol

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-26-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/195.5/130

Height: 5'3" - On a tall day.

I don't have the cramping, but I used to really bad. I would get physically sick and even passed out a time or two. Midol, hot tea and a heat pad worked miracles for me then. Now as far as exercise goes, I always feel really sluggish around TOM and it's the workout days that are just really difficult. It feels like I'm walking through pudding - KWIM? Good luck to you and just remember it will all go away in a day or two.
10Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #13  

ShyMoment- that is sooo true, I can't believe I never thought of tht. I'm going to ask him about that when he gets home, lol.

Well I tried some exercise and I didn't do it 5 minutes before my cramps came back full force. I'm just going to forget it fot today and maybe tomorrow.
I think I will get the heating pat and hot tea. Thanks guys.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #14  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Timely CNN article today.

I have heavy bleeding and used to have horrible cramping. I found that if I exercised the days before AND straight through TOM, I felt better. Exercising will help you release endorphins that will help you fight the pain. They also work with the oxytocin that come with the cramping to give you a better sense of calm.

Evening primrose oil is really helpful for hard periods as is additional calcium (that is mentioned in the CNN article).

HTH
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #15  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

I do not alter anything for TOM. It does help me with my cramps...when I have them. However, I have not had cramps now in a few months. I credit eating right and exercise for that little miracle.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote