Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #1  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Rugby?

Well, I've never done an organized sport in my life. Ever. I was tempted by the idea of joining the women's rugby team last year, but never did. Today I worked up the guts to walk over to a table the women's team had up to do fundraising and asked questions. I was invited to come to a practice to see if it's for me before I join... I'm wondering if I should? It's a rough sport and I could get injured...the practices are 4:30-6:30 Tuesday-Friday and games are Saturday/Sunday mornings.

I'm thinking that joining a pretty hardcore sport will help me not only get in enough exercise on a weekly basis, but also help me build up the muscles that I want to build while losing the remaining 18 pounds I have to lose...

I'm just kind of nervous, because being on a team means commitment. I've also never had any serious injuries before (concussions, bad sprains, torn things, broken bones...) so the idea of possibly doing that to myself freaks me out a little bit.

Has anyone played Rugby, know someone who has, or just has some thoughts in general about whether or not I should play? I'm waffling...it could be REALLY fun.

Last edited by Azure; 09-26-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i've never played...but like you..have always been interested. I chose not to for fear of getting too hurt. But from what most people tell me, they don't really get hurt???? but then again...its the hard core players telling me that. You will, however, get one **** of a workout. I use to walk my dog in a park in savannah where all the ruggers use to workout in ...man even their practice sessions were intense.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I played once upon a time. Well, you could vaguely call it playing. We weren't very good, and we spent too much time dropping the ball and forming scrums to get a decent workout.

Then I tried to switch from my school union team to a league team when I went to university, realised that it was way harder and I was nowhere near fit enough. between that moment and the time when I thought about getting back into it I badly smashed up my ankle, and although my ankle's now fine, the memory of how much being injured actually hurts has always put me off...

To be fair, most people I know who play don't get badly injured, but some people do, and I prefer to do a sport that's a bit more flexible and non-contact, so I run where I can choose races that work for me rather than having a fixture list dictated to me.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:17 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 7''

Hi Azure,
I play tag-rugby which is a non contact version of normal rugby. Its a great workout without the injuries....maybe check out if there is a team nearby?
Team sports are huge fun and the commitment is good too - you don't talk yourself out of training because you'd let the team down so you just go. I play gaelic football and tag-rugby and used to also play soccer....great team spirit, a fab workout and you meet new people. Where is the downside?

Why not go along to the training session and see if you like it, then decide to continue or not. It may just be the best decision you ever made :-)
finn is offline   Reply With Quote