Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/193.6/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Boot Camps

Just wondering if there was anyone out there that has tried a boot camp style of workout?

I have been looking into lately as there are many in the city I live. I have 2 concerns, one is the price (I am looking at about $250-300 for 4 weeks/3 days per week) and the other is my level of self consciousness as they do not have a separate camp for those of us who may not be the most physically fit.

If you have done a similar program I would love to hear as to whether or not it was worth the price and how you did.

Thanks!!!
ekeller21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #2  

I think this totally depends on the personality of the person. I know a guy who does a boot camp-type thing at 6:00 a.m......but OMG I would hate it. The idea of a trainer yelling YEAH YELLING out these commands at that hour!! I MUCH prefer going at my own pace, although I can see where it would be motivating.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I've just completed a 6 week boot camp program and loved every single minute of it...so much so I am signing up for the 3 month one starting in a couple of weeks!

The 6 wk program cost around $250 and the 3 month one will be $360

They're both 6am 3 days a week...but we had a lovely female instructor who was probably my age (23) or a bit younger who, while didn't let us slack off, had everyone motivated and enthused - didn't yell and did most of the exercises with us.

I highly recommend boot camp programs

I've gotten a lot out of it - definitely improved core strength, upper and lower and cardio endurance. It's intense but worth it. I HURT after every one lol.

We did our testing today and I could do 75 sit ups in a minute, 40 push-ups (12 on me toes...I had NO upper body strength...could barely do 5 lol) and improved on my running time.

My weight hasn't changed over the six weeks but my body fat has gone from about 23-24% to 21-22%

Bring on the next one

As for being self concious...we're all there for the same reason and I admired everyone there for having the commitment to get up at the crack of dawn (actually before dawn lol) in the freezing cold sub zero temps to put their health first.

Last edited by Lyria; 09-12-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I'm interested in these too, but it's so hard to choose. There are SO many boot camp companies in Vancouver, and they are all so expensive!

I know that some companies do evening boot camps, so they don't have to be painfully early. :P

I wouldn't worry about your size or fitness in relation to the other boot campers. A woman I used to work with did boot camp, and she wasn't very fit when she started. That changed, very very quickly.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

I love my boot camp!

I have been going the past 4 months (3 days a week) at 630 in the morning. I feel so much more in shape now than 4 months ago. I can run faster and longer and actually have some muscles now

It is terribly expensive... mine is like $550 for 3 months. So I know I can't do this forever - but I am loving it right now.

I really wouldn't worry about not being super fit when starting - in mine no one is! The atmosphere is great and everyone is there for the same reason.

I definately recommend it
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/193.6/150

Height: 5'8"

hey Practiceliving. I too live in Vancouver so if you are ever interested in meeting up or doing an activity like the boot camp together just let me know.
ekeller21 is offline   Reply With Quote