Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/143/130

Height: 5"7

Default Eating the right foods for my Bipolar disorder

Hi
I am brand new here. I am starting to take a new approach to weight loss after going through years of battling my weight while being on medications for depression / bipolar disorder. One of my meds even made me gain over 40 pounds, in a very short period of time. I had a successful time with WW but since then have had trouble with binge eating because my moods fluctuate so much. I have discovered some key things recently though..

- Cutting out refined sugar really helped to stabilize my moods and I started to lose weight.
- I stopped drinking coffee and started drinking green tea a couple times a day and not only did my skin totally clear up but I just started to feel better in general. Green tea is amazing.
- Added the good fats to my diet and eliminated the bad ones. Started eating more fish, walnuts, flax, etc.

I have lots of ideas and I am researching as I go along. I am starting to realize that the more natural you go the better. Sugar just turns right into fat. When you eliminate it you will see results. I started drinking lots of water. Oolong tea is fantastic as well. Chinese Oolong tea. I am a tea fanatic. We just need to treat our bodies as temples and they will respond. If anyone has more ideas, please bring them on!
andrearose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default You are an inspiration!

Welcome, Andrearose; you are awesome! To be dealing with Bipolar Disorder so valiantly and to be so disciplined in your diet........wow. Makes my pathetic struggles with eating a in a healthful way look....well, gulp...pathetic. Good for you..God bless.......I want to acknowledge your work! Mary
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #3  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

good for you for taking charge! i'm not bipolar but i am manic, and something that's helped me a lot is eating every couple of hours. just a piece of fruit or some yogurt in between meals goes along way in keeping my blood sugar level even. when your blood sugar goes down you're more likely to have mood swings and negative thoughts. good luck!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

Something we discuss on an anxiety board also is cutting the refined white flour products in your diet (white bread switch to whole grain/wheat, etc). Many have found good results with that along with many of the other things you have suggested.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

WOW ~ You ladies are all doing wonderfully; ANDREAROSE, I like your ideas; I also have cut my coffee down to only one when I get up; and have also switched to black and green teas. I don't think I can get Chinese Oolong tea here; too far north in a small community, but I'll keep looking.

I recently learned about the difference between WHOLE GRAINS and whole wheats (not necessarily the same thing, esp with bread). I've also cut the refined sugar and flour products down; what do you use in place of them, honey and/or sweeteners? Right now, I'm working on switching to mostly whole foods (lots of veggies, fruits, and nuts); and finding leaner meat choices for our dinners.

I find tea is so comforting and soothing also; and my anxiety has been improving a lot as well! ROSEBUD
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #6  

Default Great Oolong Teas

I have drank Oolong tea for years and I believe that combined with diet and exercise the oolong tea helps me to avoid the sodas and other beverages that have a lot of calories. I usually buy Milk Oolong at tealaden.com or Tung Ting Oolong because of the lingering sweetness of the tea. Both of these are Wu Yi Oolongs from the high mountain region. I think this is the best region for oolongs and I know that both of these are very good.
kelia is offline   Reply With Quote