Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #1  
Starting Over (again)

S/C/G: 229/183/145

Height: 5'8"

Exclamation Please Help Me!

I've been attempting to do OA now for about 2 months. I'm having a really hard time finding a sponsor, and for the past couple of weeks I've missed my meetings. My biggest problem is this... I can't seem to stop overeating after work! I am good at work, I pray to my HP and the day seems to go by smoothly, but the minute I get in my car to head home, the strength seems to vanish. I find myself bingeing after work, and no matter how much I pray, and ask for strength, I succomb to the food. I know I need to get to meetings, but I always seem to make excuses for that, or something will come up, and I can't go. It just seems like the motivation I had for the first couple of weeks has vanished, and maybe I just don't want to quit overeating. I believe that OA is the place for me, but just like the other diets I have tried in the past, I am slowly losing interest, and the food is taking control again. Please help me, I really need some suggestions on staying focused, and motivated. I know that the program works, and I really want to be in it for the long haul, but I need some tips on HOW to work the program.
shelliebellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

i've just started OA, so i can't help you too much, but at my most recent meeting (it was my third), several other members impressed upon me the importance of calling others. i don't yet have a sponsor, i really need one too, but i am comforted to know that i can call fellow members even though they aren't my sponsor! there are people to talk to... try reaching out. asking for help is an incredibly difficult thing for me to do, but if you come home from work and pick up the phone FIRST, you have a much better chance of avoiding the binge. best wishes to you; don't give up!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #3  
Starting Over (again)

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it. I guess I just have a very hard time reaching out to people on a personal level. The internet is easy because its still pretty anonymous, and no one knows who you really are. I think that comforts me. I also feel like if I do call people up, they are going to get upset with me for calling, or not know who I am, and I think I use that as an excuse to keep people at an arm's length. I really do need to start connecting with people on a more personal level, and I thank you for really bringing the importance of that to my attention.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163.5/142/120

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Shelliebellie,

You're in my hometown! I was born and raised in OC and could usually see or at least hear the fireworks from Disneyland every summer. I just moved to Colorado two years ago.

What are you feeling on your way home? Are you stressed out from work? Are you anticipating being lonely for the evening? Will you be greeted with stress when you arrive home?

Maybe you can try to pinpoint where the feelings are coming from. Feel them, honor them and then come up with some ways to cope differently.

Sometimes I don't want to go to meetings. Never once when I've gone (even when I've made myself) am I bummed that I went. I always leave feeling, "I'm so glad I went!", and the food becomes so much less important for that day or least that hour.

Reach out to other OA's or friends and don't isolate. Log in here.

xo
Charlene
charlenej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #5  
Starting Over (again)

Thanks Charlene. I hear ya 'bout the fireworks, I still watch them from my house every night (after all these years). You know, thinking about it, I'm still having a hard time figuring out why I eat right after work. My stomach literally growls, so I know it is part hunger, but I'm wondering if maybe food is like my reward for getting through the day, or if I'm just trying to fill time until bed. I can't quite figure it out, but you've definitely given me something to think about.