Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default The Scale Didn't Budge...

About 3 weeks ago I started doing some light weight lifting (5lb. dumbbells) and abdominal exercises, along with my regular routine of walking about 40 min. a day and consuming between 1200 - 1300 calories. I continued to lose weight....that is, up until this week. I weighed myself this morning, and didn't lose a pound this week. Needless to say, I am a bit sad and discouraged. I thought that adding weights would speed up my metabolism and help me burn more calories. Simple math tells me I should have lost weight...but, as I already said, I didn't I know it's only a week, but I just needed to vent my frustration....thanks for listening!
aliceINonederland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #2  

I don't know why you are discouraged. You have maintained one week and it is perfectly normal. No one loses weight every single week. Your body has to accomodate the changes due to the weight loss. You are expecting too much too soon. Just keep on with what you are doing and the weight will come off. You've done a great job so far. Don't get discouraged so easily.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

After a 36 lb weight loss it's quite common to plateau for a week or two. It doesn't mean your body isn't changing - just the scale isn't. Don't get discouraged. It will change again.

Sometimes weight lifting can slow down your weight loss for a while. Your body may be still losing fat but gaining muscle. Are you eating enough? Have you changed your eating since you started doing weights - your body may need more calories if you're lifting. Have you tried to add more protien - your body needs a bit more when doing weights. Keep on it!
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM   #4  

thanks...already I feel much better. I guess it's just that I got used to losing at least something every week...thank you for your suggestions and support!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #5  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Don't feel discouraged at all. At least you didn't gain any weight, which at least for me is almost catastrophic. You really are almost there and you're body may just need a week or two before it starts losing again. If a month passes and nothing happens then start tweaking what you're doing until you lose, but until then, be proud that you've maintained!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Don't be discouraged and don't give up the weights. I think that when you first start lifting, your muscles will hold onto some extra water which would mean that any loss or benefit wouldn't show up on the scale. Give it some time, don't freak out; you're doing great.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Trust me...I too know how frustrating it can be. Man....weightloss is frustrating. You have some really good weeks, some mediocore weeks, and then some plain ol sucky weeks. It's hard to not feel discouraged when you change something you think is good for you and dont get anything for it. But yes....we all know it takes time for our body to adjust to a new thing. Trust me...as hard as it is for me to take my own advice...stick with the weights and just give it time. Make sure you are measuring so you can check your progress that way too. Good luck!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 262.2/199.8/150

Height: 5'5

My scale is being mean to me too!!!
Let's get em good!!!!
KayLINY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Archy! You're back!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLINY View Post
My scale is being mean to me too!!!
Let's get em good!!!!
hee hee....yeah! mean scales...we'll show them! thanks for all the encouragement everyone!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #11  
Kim

S/C/G: 210/150

Height: 5'5

I think that you need to start measuring yourself along with the scale. Especially since you are weight lifting, which is going to develop some extra muscle mass taking away what you might see on the scale. (muscle weighs more than fat).
Belly Buster is offline   Reply With Quote