Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Good Low calorie Cookbooks?

Does anybody have good low calorie cookbooks with lots of variety that I can go and buy at Amazon? I've bought countless of cookbooks and about half of them have been been a waste of my money to say the least. I'd love to hear recommendations!

thanks all!
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

The Moosewood diner cookbook is a really great source for healthy, flavorful recipes. Also, I regularly go on the Cooking Light website for ideas, particularly if I have an idea of what I want to make, just need a low-cal recipe alternative. Good luck!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I love Cooking Light. I subscribe to their magazine and I also use their website regularly. They publish cookbooks featuring the best recipes from their magazines and I would recommend any one of them. You can buy the cookbooks from Amazon.com or from CookingLight.com. Almost every recipe I make from Cooking Light comes out great, the nutritional info is usually spot on (not so for a lot of other cookbooks I've tried), and they really are low calorie but rarely taste that way. My SO, who is not interested in low calorie meals, frequently comments on how much he likes the Cooking Light recipes I make.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/209.8/130

Height: 5'4

That's what I have been doing. I've been going to Cookinglight.com for free recipes since my husband is tired of me (and so am I!) buying cookbooks. My problem has been I will get home and figure out that I can't find an odd ingredient and then I figure out that it's not readily available at Walmart and it involves me having to go to a Ethnic store or a health food store and the only good ones around here are quite a drive from me. So I'm also looking for low calorie cookbooks that uses just plain everyday ingredients.
blondebritbrat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 AM   #5  

I subscribe to a magazine called Light & Tasty with recipes from some of their readers. They also publish a cookbook every year with recipes from their magazine. Go to lightandtasty.com
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #6  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Cooking Light is also one of my favorites. When I find an odd ingredient I usually just substitute something similar that I already have or can get at a regular grocery store, the recipes still come out great!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You could try the American Heart Association's Quick and Easy Cookbook. I think most of the ingredients are pretty easy to find. You do sometimes need to increase the spices and I find that the portions are sometimes a little small (but the calories are usually low enough that you can increase the portions without it being a problem). But, with these adaptations, the recipes I've made have all come out well and they are really easy. I think the book is geared more towards seniors that don't like spicy food and need to eat small portions, so you have to adapt it a little for active adults.

I also have the Better Homes and Gardens Healthy Family Cookbook and most of the recipes I've made from it have come out well. Again, I think most of the recipes call for fairly widely available ingredients; certainly nothing as exotic as some of the ingredients Cooking Light calls for. My biggest complaint is that BHG is often times way way off on the nutritional info (including the calories). If you are strict about counting calories like I am, you really have to re-calculate the nutritional info for every recipe (and do it before you even buy the ingredients--I've found them to be off by 50 to 100 calories per serving sometimes which is often a deal-breaker for me in terms of making the recipe).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote