Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Default Looking for support

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. Not new to 3FC- I have been on and off for a few years now. I come here with enthusiasm that "this time I will do it!!!" but then after a few days, weeks, months, I give up. I have gone up and down with my weight- I've been as low as 150 and as high as 190.

I decided to finally come to this forum "Chicks in Control" - because I am not. I am not in control. I didn't really want to face up to the fact that I have a problem with food, but, I do. It is what has kept me from reaching my goals. I want to lose weight so badly! I have the excercise under control- my husband and I are doing the Couch-to-5K program, where we are running/walking every other day, so that is not a problem.

My problem is controlling what goes into my mouth.

That sounds so simple! Why can't I do it?

I lost weight before, calorie counting- it works best for me, because I can eat whatever I want as long as I count it- If I feel deprived of something, then I will binge and eat more of it than I normally would have. I am a sugar junkie- I love sweets, especially ice cream. I know that I seek food out to make myself feel better.... Today, I am starting over- counting calories. So far, I am doing great. What usually happens is that I get home, and I am so tired, so then I reach for something bad for dinner, then something else for dessert and I just say "Screw it! I dont' care- I am too tired to count calories- I am going to eat whatever I want!" and so one bad day turns into a week, and then a month... and I am sure you all know how it goes...

I guess what I really need is encouragement, support, and someone that I can be accountable to.

Please let me know any advice you have to help me get through this. I need to be in control of what I eat, but I don't know where to start. I am worried that when I go home today, I will eat badly...
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Hello-
I think that most of us here have had the same problem with sticking to the committment. One thing that I have done for myself is to devote a couple of hours on Sunday morning preparing food for the week. I will prepare a variety of things in a marathon prep put them in containers in the fridge and then have them for the week. I know how being tired leads to bad eating!
Mermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/238/170

Height: 5'5

Hi there judes

I think the great thing about forums like this is getting to hear "I can definitely relate" and knowing you're not alone in your weight loss struggle. So... I can definitely relate!

It's so much harder than the simple "Control what you eat," "Exercise more, eat less." We've all heard it, though it's most infuriating from the mouths of those perfect-bodied friends who can eat as bad as they want and never gain an ounce ;/ I'm definitely in the same boat as you right now. I've fallen off so many times; it gets harder and harder with each attempt to get back up because my hope goes down each time.

But the 'Why bother?' attitude is one I'm trying to avoid at all costs. Health is too important. The fact that you have the exercise part under control is absolutely terrific! Exercise and eating right certainly go hand-in-hand, and only having to conquer one makes the feat a lot more barable.

So as for advice! Different methods work for different people. I know I myself could never do counting calories.. I'm too lazy and too forgetful But if that's what works for you, go for it! If you forget to count for a day, throw that day away and start counting again tomorrow. I went to Weight Watchers for a short while, and the best thing I ever heard from the instructor was this: If you accidently drop an egg from the carton, are you going to just throw the rest of the eggs on the ground? Just because you've "dropped" once doesn't mean you need to throw the rest of your work away." Something like that anyway! hehe. Anyway, the most important advice is, Don't give up. We all make mistakes along the way, but getting back on track is what makes the difference.

Good luck to you!
azraelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #4  
not giving up

S/C/G: 190/?/125

Height: 5'7"

Hi judes26! I've also been on and off of 3FC. This time I'm determined to stay focused and motivated. Like you, I count calories and I will also binge if I feel deprived of something, so I make sure to allow myself to have certain things. I'm a sugar junkie also, so I make sure to satisfy my sweet tooth. Sometimes I want cherries, sometimes I want a donut.

I don't know if I have any advice that you don't already know....chew your food slowly. That's something that's difficult for me to do.

I think you're already doing a great job counting calories and realizing that you have to allow yourself certain foods so that you don't binge. It's great that your husband exercises with you.

Maybe you can have your last snack 15-30 min. before you leave work so that you won't feel too hungry when you get home. Also, you can keep healthy food ready for you when you get home. I sometimes eat fruit or string cheese as soon as I get home, or I may just chew sugarless gum before dinner.
GreenT is offline   Reply With Quote