Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default My own Fat March (kind of)

Hubby and I want to see how hard it is to walk long distances.

Probably next Saturday, we're going to drop our kids off at my mom's house and walk home. All 12.1 miles of the walk home.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 AM   #2  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

good for you! i'd suggest bringing a water bottle along with you, let us know how it goes!
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 AM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

We're actually both going to wear 20 pound packs - filled with water, food, bug spray, SPF and an umbrella (in case it rains - that would be our luck!).

There's a nature preserve nearly exactly half way, so we plan on stopping there for lunch, and maybe a siesta if it's super hot out.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 AM   #4  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

That is quite a task. I do question how good of an idea that is though. If you already walk 3 miles or so every day that is great. But 12 miles, that is 4 TIMES what you are used to and throwing 20 pound packs on as well? Have you tried a 20 pound pack on at 3 miles? I would NOT do it.

I walk 4.5 miles a day and if I wanted to "push myself". I could realistically see walking to the nearest grocery store 1 way which would be 6 miles. IF I wanted to. But with a 20 pound pack? NO. 12 miles? No. Not without seriously working up to it. I have walked ALOT off and on for the past 2.5 years, mainly on. The times I wound up walking 3 hours in a given day,(9 miles) due to pretty much emergency situations, I think it happened twice. .....I was so burnt out my walking went from a regular 60-90 minutes a day, 6 days a week, to me needing a serious break for a few weeks.

But it's your life and this is the support forum and you didn't ask my opinion so I will end this with a Good Luck!!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, it is not like you will be in the back woods of Alaska or Siberia. Take your cell phone as well as your other supplies. Then you can call someone to come get you if you get too tired. Sounds like a day away from the kids for you and DH. Have fun!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

I had a response, but it's not getting posted. I'll just say, thanks for the 'support.'
Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #7  
Paleo-ish Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Well, it is not like you will be in the back woods of Alaska or Siberia.
LoL, exactly. If we're both too wiped out to finish, my dad said he'd drive to pick us up. And, there is always the option of sitting down for a few hours. It's 12 miles of farm fields and forests, no lack of a place to pop a squat.

The idea was more to push ourselves to our limits than to go for something clean and easy.

Weather permitting, it will be this Saturday. Hubby goes back to the school a week from Thursday, and once he starts he'll just want to vegetate on the weekends. It's supposed to be high 70s and clear, perfect day for a little walk.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #8  

Wow sounds grueling! Me and my friend once walked 13 miles from a train station back to our houses....it was a great experience! We still talk about it to this day (it was over 5 years ago), and it is definitely one of my more memorable experiences. We were going to rent a U-Haul but decided to just trek home on foot. Good times...

Good luck and have fun!

Tim
timadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I think it sounds like an interesting experiment, as long as you don't hurt yourselves. I'd recommend good shoes--and take along some Moleskin or other such products in case of blisters. Wear heavier socks so your feet don't slip around in your shoes too much. Just some ideas! And of course, plenty of water. If it's really hot, some Gatorade might help as well.

Let us know how it goes!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

I was gonna say good shoes too, or pack some bandaids. I had been walking about 4-5 k's just about everyday a few months ago and one day decided to step it up to 10k's. By the time I got home, my feet were raw with blisters. Everywhere. Even in places I didn't know could blister. I didn't expect it at all b/c they had never blistered before and didn't even really realize how bad they were until I got home and took my sneakers off. Now that I have good sneakers they don't anymore but I wouldn't want to wish those blisters on anyone. Pack some bandaids, just in case.

And 12 miles is so far, that's amazing...good for you guys! You can do it, and you'll feel so great afterwards! It sounds like fun, how nice that your hubby is doing it with you...wish mine would, he needs it! *grin*
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

That sounds like fun to me. I wish my DH would walk that far with me.

It reminds me of when I was in high school. I signed up for a 20 mile walk with sponsors for each mile walked. I was a basketball player and my coach sponsored me even more to dribble a basketball the whole way. My sister and my best friend also did the walk. Well sort of, they found an old baby carriage along the way and took turns pushing each other in it. LOL. It was a lot of fun and I was happy that we all made it the whole 20 miles. I was dang sure tired though for the next couple days. But, I would do it again.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #12  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

omg 12 miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! lol! OMg, i could never walk that!! Id collapse and let someone drag me along!! :O :O :O omg! I wish you the best of luck, not many can do it
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #13  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
I had a response, but it's not getting posted. I'll just say, thanks for the 'support.'
You are more than welcome.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #14  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I think a lot of us underestimate what we can do...

I'm sure you'll do great and you sound like you have a good backup plan.

I've walked 6 miles in one day it is pretty tiring but I don't doubt I could do 10-12 if I had to.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

good for you. it will be tough...but i think it would be fun for DH and you. A day away from the kids. I second the good shoes and mole skin ( i use to be military and mole skin was a life saver on "road marches). And i also recommend a nice long hot soak in a hot bath tub or jacuzzie (if available) to help soothe those achy muscles...and don't forget...Stretch before, during and after to help...and it also helps if you strech the next 48 hours. But that sounds like fun. I think if you go slow and steady you can do it...just don't hurt yourself
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote