Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Can I lose weight with just a healthy diet?

I've been studying the habits of people that have successfully lost weight on this site. I've noticed that they have two things in common: they diet AND exercise. I've got a confession to make: I HATE to exercise. Even going for walks. Do you think it is possible to lose weight by just diet alone? Am I just living in a delusional world? I'm hoping you will tell me what I want to hear.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #2  
NewComer

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm sure it is. Just thinking logically, if you aren't exercising now, and go from a bad diet to a low-calorie, healthy diet, it seems to me like you would still lose weight, although maybe not as quickly as you would with exercise. However, for me, I just don't feel healthy without the exercise. And I hate it too! For the past 4 weeks, I've dragged my butt to the gym 6 days a week, and each of those 24 times I've hated it, haha. But it's the feeling I have afterwards that makes it worthwhile. Plus, you will get a lean and toned look from exercise that you can't get from diet alone.
TxBrittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I think diet will only take you so far, but yeah, i think you can eat less and eat healthier and still lose weight without excersize. also, it may be a slower process to lose weight with diet alone. But you are probably really going to have to watch your calories and figure out how much you can eat and still lose without excersize. If you excersize, the chances are you can eat more than just dieting.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

Absolutely you can lose weight with diet alone. It's just harder. Exercise burns calories, both during the activity and afterwards. This means you can either lose weight faster, or eat more food and lose the same amount of weight you would have without exercise. I also find that exercise inspires me to eat better (so I don't mess things up after putting in all that good work) and acts for me as an appetite suppressant.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #5  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:36 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I think you can lose weight but the lean muscle/fat ratio may be quite different as you are losing.

To keep more lean muscle you need to exercise. You want lean muscle for at least two reasons ( I'm sure there are more)

- to burn calories faster

- to keep yourself strong to be able to do more things and have less injury
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #7  
Future Wonder Woman

I was thinking that maybe after I lose some weight, even 20 lbs, I will get motivated to exercise because I will "feel healthier" due to the weight loss. I know it's kind of a catch-22...to get to that 20 lbs down as soon as possible, exercise is neccessary but I can't get motivated to exercise until I lose some weight! I guess I am going to exercise some: when school starts back in a few weeks, I am going to be walking .5 miles each way to school, up and down hills. Plus, on Weds, my hubby and I are going to buy some bikes and we will ride those on the weekends. That counts as exercise, now that I think about it. At this point, I am just not willing to exercise more than a couple of times a week. I mean, right now, I am still trying to get back on track from my vacation fiasco...I figure I need to worry about that before I work on something else.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #8  
Future Wonder Woman

No, you don't sound harsh at all! You make a good point about being thin and still being unhealthy. I figure that once I lose some weight, maybe getting down in the high 100's, I will be able to do things that I DO enjoy, like rollerblading. I think the key to getting me to exercise is to do outdoor things like hiking, biking and rollerblading. Plus, I live 20 mins from the beach, I can go walking on the shore...who wouldn't like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmuyloco5 View Post
I think that it's possible in SOME people to lose everything without exercise, because I've seen it happen. Whether you are one of those people, the only way to know, is to try and see.

BUT......and to me, it's a big BUT...............you can be thin and be unhealthy. Exercise is vital to heart health. Muscle is vital to having good healthy bones. With exercise, you will also increase your lung capacity, which not only makes it easier to breath, but improves your circulatory system. Exercise helps relieve stress, and improves your mood with releases of different hormones. It also improves your sleep pattern.

Your body was built to move. And without that movement.....you may get thin, but you'll be saggy....flabby....and "soft" looking. I hope I don't sound harsh, I just truly believe that EVERYONE needs exercise. Maybe there's something that you might like out there. Something you have not thought of before.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229('06)/214/see ticker/160

I totally understand where you're coming from. I always had the idea of trying to lose a bit before I worked out because working out at the time made me less motivated. Plus, having to concentrate on both food and exercise at the get go was so overwhelming it made me want to throw in the towel. The key is whatever makes you want to continue on the journey and keeps you motivated is the answer for you and you alone.
lavidasofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #10  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #11  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Well, I don't know about wanting to exercise... I like it once I start (often), but I hate getting myself there and DOING it. Still. After 2 years and 120 pounds.

So, I have to fight with myself nearly every day to exercise. But, I do it because I love the results and know that once I start, I'll probably enjoy it (or at least not hate it).

But if you could get healthy lying on the couch I would be the healthiest person on the planet!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey!

Well, exercise alone won't do it--I tried that. But some people DO lose weight simply by changing how/what they eat. In other words, dieting.

It might help if you think of being more active instead of "exercising." Most people associate the word exercise with pain, sweat, being out of breath, sore, having to push push push and gasp... and it doesn't have to be like that at all. In fact, for weight loss, the ideal is NOT to overdo it, but to simply be active at a pace you can maintain without feeling like you're gasping for breath or you have to stop or drop.

So, how about taking a walk around the neighborhood, or at a local mall? I don't mean strap on the gym suit and shoes and hup two three four I just mean a nice walk. That's a good way to get started, if you're able.

Being active helps ensure that you lose less muscle while losing weight, and it also increases the tone of your muscles--and since muscle is what burns fat... well, there you go!

Good luck troo!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Anne Fletcher has written a book that I've found very helpful. Thin for Life She talked to folks who have lost weight and kept it off. And yes, there are some who do not exercise. I think you'd find it very interesting.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

I lost my first 25 lbs or so with diet alone, so it's possible.. but you don't want to end up with loose, saggy skin.
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote