Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #1  

Default Oat Bran and CORE

I'm seeing lots of recipes on this site for CORE that includes Oat Bran. Is Oat Bran CORE? It doesn't seem like it according to the large companion book. Anyone got any details? Also, same thing with Turkey Bacon. Is Turkey Bacon CORE?
AnnieRu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #2  
focused and aiming

i'm not sure but i think oat bran used to be core but isn't any longer. does anyone know if this is true?

i don't think turkey bacon is core. but again, i'm not positive.

i'm not much help, am i?
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #3  

Default That would explain things

If the items used to be CORE and now they aren't, that would explain why recipes called CORE have them. I have been successful at putting oatmeal in my food processor (actually a magic bullet) and using that to replace the oat bran in recipes and it seems to work better. According to the complete companion food list, turkey bacon is not CORE but Jennie O turkey bacon is zero points, so perhaps people are using that. I can't stand Jennie O turkey bacon though. We like Oscar Mayer's brand but it's not zero. I use canadian bacon, but it is just so darn expensive. I've been on WW for 7 years, been at goal for a long time doing Flex. I've been at goal for a long time, dipping a few pounds away at times, but always get back to goal by doing Flex seriously. My teenage daughter is doing WW with me and I'd like to go lower then my original goal weight because as I approach 50 seems like everything has shifted and my current weight doesn't feel good anymore. Everything has settled in the middle and I now have what my sister refers to as a "menopot". Both my daughter and I were doing good with Flex but things slowed down so we changed to CORE two weeks ago. Our first week weigh in was about a 1/2 pound up!!!! Our leader said to stick with it and give it one more week. I'm trying to make sure that we are really doing CORE. I've been around WW long enough to know that we all figure out ways to be creative and often sabatoge our own efforts (I've been around since the days of no cap for fiber and boy that got us in trouble - people were putting bran on ice cream and calling it zero points!!!! and Zen muffins were 1 point and weighed about 3 lbs!!!) Anyways, my daughter is liking CORE because she doesn't have to really count anything but cross off Flex Points, but if we don't see a loss this week, I think we will have to change back and use CORE for maintenance. Any suggestion or ideas are welcomed!!!
AnnieRu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

annie, i apologize for not responding sooner. we'd love to have you join the daily threads. well, they are weekly threads really.

my husband and i are off kilter right now but will be back on core when we get home in a few days. he loves core for the same reasons your daughter does. tell your daughter i am very very proud of her for taking control of her life at such an early age. i wish i had. and i wish my mother would have done program with me. i am now 60 yrs old and am still plodding along. some days are easier than others. some--i have a devil of a time.

i know what you mean about "tweakers." i didn't use the fiber liberally, but i have been known to tweak myself out of losing. now back to oat bran. (and this may be me tweaking again.) in my opinion, if it was core, it could still be core. i use it sometimes. another item i use is cream of wheat. did you see the cornbread recipe here that's made with c of w? it's delish! and it's core!!

hop on over and get to know us better. right now, our board's active participation is low. i'm hoping it will pick up soon. summer's a busy time.

again, welcome. i'm anxious to read your posts and get some fresh ideas from you. my old brain is pretty stale right now.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote