Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 10:58 AM   #1  

Default 50 Or More Pounds #82

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join us...you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:06 PM   #2  

Default HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hey girls. I'm so sorry to have worried anyone, but things have been so hectic. I had my court date and was pretty much consumed by that until December 20th, and then had to rush to get everything done for Christmas. I am exhausted right now, and am ready for things to slow down a bit. My attorney says that we won in court, but I don't really feel that way. The Judge was obviously on my side, but his hands were tied in some ways. It was just very sad to think that my ex-husband spent over $2,000 on an attorney to help him not have to pay for his child's higher education. She has so many scholarships right now and that money would have paid his part for quite awhile. DD has been so sweet though, and has kept smiling as always. I know this had to have been hard on her though. I'm just glad it's over for at least another year. As hectic as things have been, Christmas ended up being wonderful and I feel extremely blessed!

JOYce, I was so sorry to read about your diagnosis. It has been awhile since I was able to read the posts, and I didn't realize that you had been feeling bad. I know that being overweight doesn't help the situation, but please don't feel ashamed. My mother was diagnosed with that a couple of years ago, and she is a tiny, petite woman. She has always been the picture of health (except when she had breast cancer), and I only remember one time growing up when she was sick. She always exercised and ate very healthy. We were all shocked when she was diagnosed. She was born with an irregular heartbeat, but all of a sudden she couldn't walk down the driveway to the mailbox without being winded. She normally can walk rings around me. Anyway, after the diagnosis she started taking a fluid pill (and I'm sure some other medication, although I'm not sure what) and now she is as good as new...and you will be too very soon! You will be in my prayers.

About the water aerobics. I'm not sure why you can't picture yourself doing that, but believe me, if I can do it anyone can. I don't know if you remember me telling y'all, but water aerobics is the first exercise ever that I absolutely love. It can be tough, and you definitely get out of it what you put in, but it is worth the effort. When I quit going, I actually missed it. Now that is saying something for me!! Anyway, give it a try because I think you will grow to love it. I am a water person, so that is a huge plus for me. I could live in the water 24 hours a day. It surprised me to find out from one of the teachers that water aerobics raises your metabolism for a much longer time than land aerobics, so that was a big plus for me too. You have inspired me, and I think I am going to plan to go back in January. Our gym membership has been frozen for the last few months, but I think I am ready to get started again. DD is planning on living at home next semester so that she can work while going to school, so hopefully she will be able to go with me. She won't let me slack off!!

JOYce, I didn't mean to ramble on and on, but I wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that you will do whatever it takes to get healthy...and you will be an inspiration to the rest of us. You have a lot of people who love you and who are rooting for you (including all of us here)!!

Texaslady, you are going to love your new Camry LE. That is what I have driven for the last few years. In fact, I am on my second one. I've always had a sunroof, but this time I went all out and got leather seats, woodgrain...the works. The two I have had have been the best driving cars I have ever owned. I'm thinking about getting a new car sometime this next year, and for awhile I was toying with the idea of getting something different, but I've been spoiled with the Camry. There are a lot of great looking cars out there, so we will just have to see what I end up getting, but I know you are going to enjoy yours. All I know is that everyone who drives my car comments on how smooth it is. Enjoy!!

My sweet, sweet Carol...what would I do without you?? You don't know how much I appreciate you worrying about me. I enjoyed talking to you on Christmas Eve and I hope you enjoy your time in Florida! I promise not to stay gone so long from the boards again...hmmm...have I said that before??

Jan, I hope you all had a great Christmas...and I hope that DH is feeling better! A second reunion sounds wonderful, and I agree with Texaslady that we need another trip to Mexico. I do know that I will be driving this next time instead of flying...especially if we go shopping again. I'm not going to leave wonderful finds behind this next time just because they won't fit on the plane! I think late March or early April would be a good time, but are you sure you want to put up with us again so soon??

Linda, I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas. I know you did if you spent it with your DH, DD and SIL. Your love for your family shines through all your posts!!

Saara, how was Christmas? Please post so we can hear all about it. I hope you weren't too homesick over the holidays, but I know you have probably met some wonderful new friends here. It would be so great if you were able to come to the second reunion in Texas!! When do the Olympics start??

I also want to welcome Michelle! I think you will find this to be a very supportive group. We are definitely a very diverse group, but that makes it more interesting. We have had some wonderful success stories here too, and I know they will be an inspiration to you!

I had better get back to work. I decided to work today so that I could take off some time next week while my daughter isn't in school or working. She got a seasonal job at Old Navy for the holidays and has loved working there...but I haven't seen much of her for the last few weeks. Hi to anyone I missed.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND MAY THIS NEXT YEAR BE A VERY BLESSED ONE FOR ALL OF US!!!!

Janet (Kudzu)
Old 12-26-2001, 05:01 PM   #3  

Hi Janet! It's so good to hear from you again. I am so glad that you won your court case, but can certainly understand why you would be depressed over his selfishness. Your daughter sounds like such a lovely person, and is handling it all so well, too! Glad to hear you had a great Christmas; and I know you'll enjoy getting to visit more with your dd!

Texaslady, congrat on the new car! I don't know a lot about cars, but dh was sure impressed when I told him it was a Camry. I'll bet you're really enjoying it! Thanks for asking about dh; his cold is much better now. And we both still need to get a flu shot; thanks for the reminder on that.

Re: another reunion, I can't wait! Let's see what time works best for everyone. March or April would be great; the weather is better then, and the flowers are out. (Saara, do you have a spring break around then?) Sure hope everyone can come! We still need to do that bbq at the ranch, you know!

Dh and I just got back from South Padre and Mexico last night; we spent Christmas at the beach, and had a lovely time. Found lots of good stuff in Mexico (Matamoros and Progreso) like lanterns, blown glass, pewter, and such. We took long walks on the beach, and had boiled shrimp, fruit, and other light stuff. (Too bad there isn't a light Margarita, though! Had to have one of those.) All this last month, I'd gotten into that mode you described, Texaslady, of thinking I could have anything I wanted and take it off the next week. Didn't work for me either! I was just barely able to weigh in as a lifetimer this last time, by .5 pound, way too close for comfort! I'm determined to renew my efforts now, and it really helps to hear how determined everyone else is too. I know we'll all make it!

I guess Carol and JOYce are both on their travels now; I know we'll all miss them! Linda, hope you had a lovely Christmas! Saara, let us know re: a good date for you, if you can come to Texas this spring, so we can try to work it around your schedule. Michelle, hope you'll come back and visit soon!

Regards,
Jan
Old 12-26-2001, 07:17 PM   #4  

Hi girls! Checking in to see how everyone is doing and was so pleased to hear from Ms. Janet again! We miss you when you are away for so long. Sorry about the ex-dh! Unfortunately, it is the children who suffer. I don't think these guys stop to consider the damage they are doing to their kids when they act like idiots. I know that my dd's Dad has just about completely alienated her affections for him - those feelings are so mixed up with anger & frustration that it's hard for her to remember when she adored him. Anyway, glad to hear from you again and don't stay away so long again!!

Guess Carol is off to Florida for a while. And I WILL miss you, Carol! Check in when you get back & let us know how the job search went.

Jan - I didn't know you were spending a "location" Christmas with your dh!! How fun to do something so different for a holiday. I know you had a great time & am glad he is feelng better now. When does your Dad return? Another reunion sounds good to me - about the only time really inconvenience as far as my job goes are the first & last weeks of any month - 2nd & 3rd weeks of any month will probably be ok. But just let me know & I will do my darnest to work around it!

Guess Joyce is still at her family reunion, too.

Our Christmas was very nice - actually we had 2 celebrations. I cooked on Christmas Eve for dd, sil, my Mom, and his parents & we did gifts here and then Christmas night, my sil's Mom cooked & we did gifts there! We are just about celebrated out by now! It actually turned cold here so it even felt like Christmas.

Gotta go now. Will check in again later.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:48 AM   #5  

Hi, JANET! So good to hear from you; your words for JOYce were so kind, I know she will appreciate them when she gets back from Idaho and has a chance to log on. I too am sorry about your ex-dh. It is good to have that court date behind you, I imagine. I'm impressed that you are going to go back to water aerobics, good for you!

JAN, your "Christmas vacation" sounds lovely. How nice that you and dh (glad he is feeling better) are able to travel so much since you both enjoy it. And about the being within .5 of your goal, I have no doubt at all that you'll get it down way below that, post haste. You have the drive and the willpower, you have shown that to all of us, and I know that it is only a matter of time til you are all the way down to your personal goal. You are an inspiration to me.

CAROL, I know that you are in Florida now, but I just want to tell you that I am so glad that you had such a nice Christmas with your lovely family. Hope you are getting some nice weather. Please be in touch as soon as you get back, I'm going to miss your nice posts.

We had a nice Christmas, my sisters and dad and my neice and nephew were with us. We got to see dd and dsil twice during the day, which was a joy. Dd and dsil had dinner at dsil's parents' home on Christmas day, is surely is hard to share them! But it is only fair, since we had them at dinner last Christmas.

It is nice to be getting each other's reports about our holiday, isn't it. I am grateful for my friends on this board.
Old 12-27-2001, 06:20 PM   #6  

Hi Texaslady! Sounds like your celebrations were lots of fun, though I know you're enjoying just kicking back and relaxing now. Re: the reunion, guess we'll have to wait until everyone's back home, and also see if Saara can join us; her schedule is probably more limited, too. Re: Dad, we're leaving in the morning to go get him! Will be back within a week. (I won't be posting on the road, but will try to drop in from my sister's house!)

Linda, glad you also had a great Christmas with your family. Thanks so much for the encouragement; I can always count on y'all to help me get back on the right road! DH and I are packing some healthy snacks for the road; he just cut up a lovely, gigantic jicama we bought in the Valley on Christmas day, and I think it's the best one I've ever tasted.

Guess I'd better get out there and do my walking before it gets too dark! Everyone have a great weekend!

Regards,
Jan
Old 12-29-2001, 12:26 PM   #7  
Inchworm

Default I'm home!

We had a great time! loved meeting 2 great grandkids that I had never met! So precious! We were with 3 of the 4 kids, 6 of the 10 grands, and 2 of the 3 great grands....not the total I had hoped for, but was a plenty. DS has a small place, and I don't think the rest would have even fit in the house....so all worked out for the best.

Thanks Janet, for your words of encouragement. What I meant about the water aerobics, is the fact of putting on a bathing suit! I have one tucked in my very bottom drawer in the back corner, I'll have to see if I can wriggle my fat bod into it.

I went to the meeting this morning, I gained 3 pounds , but that was no surprise, and didn't let it upset me. It will be gone in a day or 2. Having been on the road for 2 days, I haven't taken full dosage of my water pills, nor have I been drinking as much, and of course driving 1000 miles, doesn't leave time for exercise.
The leader gave us a sneak peak at a special booklet that we will get next week at meeting, along with the new program. sounds like it has lots of good tips for planning meals.

Much to do around here! best get with it!
Old 12-30-2001, 05:36 PM   #8  
Inchworm

Just as I suspected! the 3 pounds was water! it is gone.
regarding the bathing suit.... the one tucked away in my drawer is only size 18, I haven't tried to get it on, but think I need to figure out where to buy one in January! I can't remember when I was size 18! the thing will probably fall apart!
I dug out my WW New Complete Cookbook, which has been collecting dust, and have found some yummy recipes with low points. Last night I made some Faux Gumbo, with shrimp, chicken and kielbasa, was very good and only 5 points. tomorrow I will try the Rosemary chicken with wild rice for 5 points.

No plans for New years Eve...maybe a game night with the dgd's .
Old 12-31-2001, 10:18 PM   #9  
Inchworm

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Old 12-31-2001, 10:41 PM   #10  

Hi Joyce! Sounds like you had a great reunion with the grandkids and great-grandkids. Wow! Glad the water thing went away; amazing how that works. I like that cookbook too; great ideas there. Re: swimsuits, so funny you brought that up. Dh and I were in Lousiana yesterday and hadn't packed our swimsuits, but found a place with an indoor pool. Went to a mall, and they just laughed at us when we asked about suits! So dh found some six dollar jams, and I found some rebok shorts I could wear with a t-shirt, and we were good to go! Had a great swim.

We're at my sister's now, just got back from a late night boat trip on the river wishing everyone a happy new year's. Such fun!

My dear, sweet sister planned a lowfat dinner of sushi and stirfry for us tonight.

Love to all, and a happy new year!!

Jan

Last edited by JanetMae; 01-01-2002 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2002, 04:48 PM   #11  

Happy New Year, girls! Welcome to 2002! 2002 is such a nice round number - I am hopeful it will be a wonderful year for all.

Jan - Guess you are about on your way back home, although the sound of a late night boat trip sounds wonderful! The weather guys here have been falling all over themselves predicting SNOW for Houston today.

It was supposed to start this afternoon and go into the morning with an inch or 2 of accumulation. Now seeing as how there hasn't been any snow around here for about 20 years, everyone was getting excited. However, it is getting to be mid-afternoon and I don't see any snow or even any rain. Watching the Cotton Bowl in Dallas I didn't see any snow either - and that area "always" gets the white stuff in one of these artic fronts. Makes me wonder if the weather people have once again missed the mark. I can tell you if it snows or sleets tonight, I will not be on the road tomorrow til it melts. As you can imagine, this city & its drivers simply do not know how to deal (or drive!) in the stuff.

Joyce - Welcome home! I am so happy you had a wonderful family reunion. I think everyone feels the need to connect more with our families since the 9-11 tragedy. About that swimsuit - log on to www.landsend.com. I just got one of the "winter" catalogs but they already had swim suits in it - I am sure you can locate them at their website also. Water aerobics might be just the thing for you - you go, girl! We believe in you.

Carol - Must still be in Florida. I see where there's bad weather headed for the east coast too. Poor CArol, seems like everytime she gets away for a while. she has to hot foot it back home ahead of a storm! Hope she had a successful trip as far as job searching goes. Can't wait to hear how it went.

Linda - Again, I think it is so neat that you live so close to your dd. Mine is about 15 miles away but in a city this size, that's not too bad. I commute 25 miles each way to work so 15 miles isn't so bad. I talk to her each day & we manage to see each other about every other week-end.

Well, girls, I have some gumbo cooking right now - useing turkey
sausage & chicken breasts to keep the points under control. Well, actually the chicken is browning and then I need to make the roux & you know you can't leave the pot unattended then! Just wanted to check in and wish everyone a happy & peaceful new year.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:35 PM   #12  

Default Blackeyed peas!

Hey, you southern girls -- how about a bowl of blackeyed pea, bean and ham soup? I read recently that southerners eat blackeyed peas on New Year's Day for "good luck." I've got the Christmas hambone and some of the meat simmering on the stovetop with beans and blackeyed peas. Our house smells wonderful!

Yes, TEXASLADY, we are very blessed that dd and dsil live right here in town. I don't imagine it will last, as they want to invest in a condo (as a springboard to owning a house one day) and the real estate is too high in our town and surrounding ones for them at this time. I am just praying that after they live in a condo for awhile they will have made enough equity so they can move right back to our town! When they have children (sigh....ONE day....) I would really love to be in the same town as they are. I think it is great that your dd and you talk on the phone every day. That is really nice.

CAROL, hope you are having a good time in Florida, and are missing the bad weather.

JOYce, congrats on that three-pound loss! I think that TEXASLADY's advice to go to the Land's End site to seek a bathing suit is a really good one.

Did anyone see the part of the Pasadena Rose Parade when the stealth flew over the route? What a thrill! Dh and I ran outside to see if it were going to fly out east over us, but there was a cloud cover, so if it did we weren't able to see it. There was one year however, when it flew over the parade and after running out to the front yard, we did see it streak across the sky. I am so proud to be ***AN AMERICAN!!!***

Happy 2002 -- I agree with TEXASLADY, it is a nice, round number.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:43 PM   #13  

Happy New Year again!

Texaslady, Carol is not far from where we are right now in Florida, and the weather is lovely (though chilly). However, the storm is moving in, and we've about decided to postpone leaving until Thursday. (It's sleeting in Alabama now, and sleet & snow are predicted for the Fla panhandle tomorrow.) I agree w/you, if it snows in Houston, it's a great idea to just stay put! Texans (some of us) just don't know how to drive in snow, you're right!

Linda, you bet, we had blackeyed peas, corn bread, ham, collard greens and potatoes for our New Year's dinner today. It was terrific! I think that even when we were toddlers, our mom made sure we had at least one blackeyed pea every New Year's Day, to ensure good luck all year.

Sure hope Janet isn't having any problems with this arctic front; seems her part of the world has already had its share of weather disasters this past year!

Hope everyone had a great New Year's Day, to kick off a wonderful year to come!

Regards,
Jan
Old 01-01-2002, 08:47 PM   #14  

Oh, JAN, you're killin' me! I only wish I had a true-blue southerner to fix collard greens for us to go along with our soup tonight. I wouldn't have any idea how to do it, but you know? --I have actually seen *fresh* collard greens in cello bags at our local grocery stores, so someone anyway, thinks that SoCalifornians can figure it out. Good to hear from you on the road. Do you have a laptop?
Old 01-01-2002, 09:08 PM   #15  
Inchworm

Thanks texaslady.My dd had the same idea last night, to go online to find a suit. Liz Claibourne has some larger sizes on sale and I found some on Nordstroms site as well as Lands End, so think I will do o.k.
We just got home from our german friends who traditionally have saurkraut with pork roast on New yrs. and their son married a Southern girl, so her mom brings the blackeyed peas and greens...for which I am glad, because it is all I can do to TYPE the word, let alone actually eat the kraut!
texaslady, my ds fixed gumbo with the turkey from xmas along with the sausage and some wild rice. It was a recipe he saw on th eToday show, It was very good! Enjoy yours tonight! YUM!
DH has to go back to work tomorrow, and dd and dgd leave for home in Washington tomorrow or the next day, so is about to get back to 'normal' around here.

ttys
Closed Thread