Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6

Default BINGE FREE WEEK, July 30th Start

This is a thread to challenge ourselves to remain binge free for one week. Some of us make it, and some of us don't, but we all give it our best effort. It doesn't have to be an entire week. Some of us take it hour-by-hour. Whatever you can do, come here to share your successes and your struggles. Together, we are all stronger!

Please refrain from mentioning any specific foods because it sets some people off on a binge. If you feel the need to mention food, head on over to Cyber Purgers and confess away.

This is a thread open to all, don't hesitate to jump in anytime!!! Newbies are very much welcomed!!!

Good luck and much strength!

Let's do it!!!

Ok well this week is sort of special for me! Today is my 97th binge free day so that means this Thursday is the big 100
RocknRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #2  

97 days!!! WOW!! A carrot for you, hehe:

Considering bingeing is currently my main problem, I am so totally going for this. Thank goodness I haven't yet today! It's hard to define bingeing differently than just having a bit too much sometimes, technically that is. But in my mind I know what is a binge and what is not. I'm not following any diet plan. I just want to get control of this for now.
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/212/140

Hi all!

Can I join? I think I'm one of those people who have to take it hour by hour right now, but I'd love to join the group and aim for a week without bingeing.

Thanks,
Ann
Ann72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #4  

hour to hour, minute to minute, doesn't matter how long or how short you remain binge free. We are here with open arms to help everyone! I have read a lot of your posts Ann and I really wish you the best of luck this week!

Ianthe- thanks for the carrot!! He happens to be my favorite

I read that some people want a general chat thread. I don't see why not... we could also just general chat in here as well!
Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

Hi RocknRoll,

One of the reasons I was thinking of a general chat is that I often talk about specific foods, and have accidently written posts that might be triggers to others. I'd hate to do that again, and would feel 'safer' writing somewhere where I'm able to say anything without worrying. I'm awful for remembering foods and if this is a trigger free place I wouldn't want to accidently break that rule.

Or I could stick a post-it to the screen to remind me hehe.

Well done on 97 days, do you feel a lot better for it? 100 days is a big milestone, I remember being very pleased when I reached my 100 days without a drink. Day 32 without binging today. Been a hungry day, but I went to a chat room to take my mind of it.

Also got OH to phone the chair of a local OA meeting. Got to phone back tomorrow, but I might actually get to a meeting!
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #6  

O I did not even think about food being in the general chat! Ok then, I am totally for a general chat! I feel a million times better for being binge free. Its like I am a different person. My day is no longer dictated by the food in my stomach and for once I can eat and stop.

100 days just seems so long!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/166/130

Height: 5ft1inch

Default congrats RocknRoll

Hi RocknRoll,

Great big congrats to you on being 97 days binge-free. You inspire me. Only another binge-er can really understand what a WONDERFUL achievement that is.

I really needed to hear your message today RocknRoll, because I’ve been bitten by compulsions to eat ever since last night, all to do with not looking after myself. But hey. I didn’t eat. I got through it and logged on here to read such positive stuff!

I’d love to be part of this binge-free week thread. I’m 35 miraculous days binge-free now, and so intensely grateful to all you people, to OA, and to my Higher Power.

Like others have shared here today, I can only handle this one-hour-at-a-time. I can kind of cope with that, whereas anything longer makes my head hurt! And the miracle is that all these tiny moments build up.

Today I was tired and negative and felt something was ‘missing’.

And it was! Compulsive overeating is what I ALWAYS relied on during negative times. And it worked. Or so I thought. It worked to take the horrible feelings away, but hours later, I was left with the devastation of having hurt my body AGAIN, the guilt for breaking the ‘diet’ and those horrible feeling still lurking around in the mess!
So, in fact, binge eating did not work. Feels good to see that in print. They say the truth will set me free.

Love the idea for a general thread too where I could share about food if needed.

Wishing everyone well.
searsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by searsha
Compulsive overeating is what I ALWAYS relied on during negative times. And it worked. Or so I thought. It worked to take the horrible feelings away, but hours later, I was left with the devastation of having hurt my body AGAIN, the guilt for breaking the ‘diet’ and those horrible feeling still lurking around in the mess!
So, in fact, binge eating did not work. Feels good to see that in print. They say the truth will set me free.
This is why it sucks so bad, because it works! It makes me feel so much better, damn. But what other way is there to get rid of these feelings and emptiness? I have read lists and lists of alternate activities, but they are drops in the bucket to the wave that is bingeing.

I will live with and sit with these emotions that kill me, and then maybe it will make me a better and thinner person.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 123kg/114kg/63kg

Height: 5ft 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe View Post
This is why it sucks so bad, because it works! It makes me feel so much better, damn. But what other way is there to get rid of these feelings and emptiness? I have read lists and lists of alternate activities, but they are drops in the bucket to the wave that is bingeing.

I will live with and sit with these emotions that kill me, and then maybe it will make me a better and thinner person.
When I first tried to give up Alcohol, I tried everythingh to fill that 'void'. After several unhappy and unsuccessful months, I learnt that there isn't anything that will take that place.

I can say that over time, the hole gradually shrinks. I still fill that emptiness in a bad moment, but day to day, I no longer feel dependant on alcohol, or now on food.

I suppose in the long run this is for the best - if we could find something to fill the void we'd only end up with another unhealthy crutch.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:16 AM   #10  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/ticker/147

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
When I first tried to give up Alcohol, I tried everythingh to fill that 'void'. After several unhappy and unsuccessful months, I learnt that there isn't anything that will take that place.

I can say that over time, the hole gradually shrinks. I still fill that emptiness in a bad moment, but day to day, I no longer feel dependant on alcohol, or now on food.

I suppose in the long run this is for the best - if we could find something to fill the void we'd only end up with another unhealthy crutch.
I hope it gets easier for me then and that the hole shrinks! because all i can seem to think about right now is food lol. I will not give in though!!! and i'm going to the gym soon, i'm hoping that will take my mind off it
leah_0600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT
There's got to be a healthy crutch out there... maybe, hmm. At the moment all I have are distractions to keep me from a binge (#1: computer), which I am eternally grateful for, but they don't satisfy the longing.

For some reason I had never thought of counting binge-free days like so, even though I did that for cutting (388 days self-injury free!!! ). So I am going to take this approach now. Instead of focusing on weight, weight loss, etc. I will focus on getting control of these ghastly binges. I see it as a total shift of focus. Instead of focusing on wanting to "look good" I will focus on gaining control. Which then, as we all know, leads to heightened self-esteem, and all kinds of other good stuff.

So here I am at 1 day binge free!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

Thanks for the welcome!

Yesterday was binge free!!!! YAY! My first abstinent day and my first day witout compulsive overeating, binge eating, or emotional eating. One day at a time, right???

As for filling that void, there are some things...journaling, talking to a friend, praying, exercising, reading, attending an OA meeting, attending a religious/spiritual meeting, or coming here and chatting with your online friends.

I'm new and still trying to figure out what my void is and why I use food to fill it. For me, I think I'm lacking spiritually. I'm trying to figure it all out...day by day.

Searsha--Just wanted to send a hug your way. You are such a BIG reason for my success yesterday. You are so supportive and motivating towards others. I look forward to your insightful, open, honest posts. Hang in there, you're doing so well. Lean on us the way that we've been able to lean on you. All you have to do is remain binge free for today. Only today.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:43 PM   #13  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone and tx so much for being here! I also thought a general chat would be great - it was getting lonely here in "Binge Free" as it seemed at times, I was the only one not making it thru the week! I also am guilty of mentioning trigger foods in here so apologies and tho' I haven't read it yet - saw a Chat Thread where I'll take those mentions to from now on.

Crutch? I'm gonna shoot for HEALTHY crutches this second/minute/hour/hours/days/week/LIFE! (Love this guy too.) Gotta face it - I overdo anything I do - accepting that and mooooving on . . . I plan to overdo NOT overeating. The thing that helped me last week was BREATHING . . . seriously BREATHING. In and out. Pausing to BREATHE. I also HATE exercising so I plan to overdo a LOT of that - hopefully will give me pause b4 I start cramming the face, ya know? It'll be like - WHOA auddie!!!! - why negate all the beautiful exercise that you dearly HATE to do.

Will also be relying on my secret lover: My God the things that Vegetably-STUD does for me!
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #14  

Yesterday was Day 2 without a binge. YAY!

aud--I'm a huge fan of breathing. I think it really helps focus you (or refocus you before a binge).

Gotta run. I'll check in again later hopefully.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #15  

Along with breathing, mindfulness is wonderful. I highly recommend the book "Wherever you go there you are" by Jon Kabat Zinn. It's one of my absolute favorites in the self-help genre, or any genre for that matter.

And...I had a mini-binge last night. Well, I won't say anymore, but it did stop at a point, also it wasn't planned, which is good (um...sometimes I PLAN binges, go out shopping just for the binge, these are HUGE and very very bad). Meh.