Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #1  
Getting Better Every Day!

Location: Ireland - The green green grass and the grey grey skies

Height: 5ft 11"

Default Advice please!

Well. Im 19 now and I used to be 15st or so. Im around 13st now and i'm a lot happier but i still need to lose more. I seem to be stuck now at my current weight. I think recently i went into starvation mode and that saw my weight drop to 12st 13. I did not want to be in starvation mode so i started eating more but eating healthy things, fruit etc. My weight has shot up to 13st 4 in a day or two! How can this be?

I dont know what to do... Continue eating enough and eating healthily or eating a lot more. Im very confused
ih8diets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

ih8diets!

First of all, it does seem unlikely that you could gain 5 pounds in a day or two, so you might suspect water weight. That should drop off as quickly as it appeared.

Second of all, you haven't told enough about what plan you are following. Are you a calorie counter? Are you following a program like Sugar Busters or Weight Watchers or South Beach or...?

A word about "starvation mode." This term means that your calories eaten have been at a low level for some time, so that the body tries to conserve whatever it can. You haven't said how much you're eating or for how long. As a general guideline, 1200 calories is about as low as you should go, average, for an extended period. This isn't because you will instantly enter starvation mode, but rather because most people can't get enough important nutrients to stay healthy if they drop below that. However, some doctor-monitored plans do go below that--note they are doctor-monitored, usually meaning going to an appointment every week.

A healthy rate of weight loss is generally said to be 1-2 pounds a week, so to lose a stone, you'd need 7 to 14 weeks of staying on a plan. Depending on your age and activity level, you should be able to eat somewhere between 1300 and 1600 calories per day to lose weight. This is just a guess--you may be able to eat more than that.

So, give us more information!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #3  

thanks so much for the reply!! Means a lot to me

Well Im a calorie counter and I did drink a lot of water yesterday so perhaps your right.. Im not really following any plan, just citting down really...

About starvation mode, i ate very little for a few days, not long at all so not sure if i was in it...

And i think i would be happy with 1-2 pounds a week. As long as i could see i was making progess i would be happy to be honest.

I try to drink a good bit of water and eat when i feel hungry but recently ive been feeling less hungy less often.. I suppose thats good but it then leads me back to not eating enough..

Thank you though, i was ready to give up but i wont now
Old 07-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Glad that you feel like you can keep going!

There are many on-line sites that help you count calories, if you want to do that. FitDay, CalorieKing, TheDailyPlate, etc. And 3FC does have a database with over 7,000 foods! So, make sure that you're not eating too little OR too much--by keeping track.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 AM   #5  

I made my signature