Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Default 6-month diet...I've gained 1.5 pounds!!! HELP

Hello to all,

I am doing my six month medically supervised diet and I'm having a hard time.

I've talked to my Nut. about this and she seems to think that I can and should eat all of the food that she wants me to eat. I don't think she understands that I am not a quantity eater. I have always been a quality eater...LOL!!

Here's what she has me eating...tell me what you think. Protein 8 oz. , Starches 8 servings , Fruit 3 servings, Vegetables 6-8 servings, milk 1 serving, fat 0-3 servings. I am also supose to drink at least 64 oz. of water ( I can do that easily!) I am having a really hard time getting all of this food into a day. Last month I did call her about five days into my plan and let her know that I was having a hard time. She told me to do my best and try to get all of the food in. I did do my best, kept my log and ended up gaining 1.5 pounds last month. I was not happy and I deceided to try to make myself eat all of this food....she also told me to start having snacks inbetween meals....I usually don't snack and I wonder if that will just start a new habit and I'll have to kick when I have to surgery.

Yesterday I went into my surgeons office to talk with him about my operation. While in the waiting room I struck up a conversation with the other people in the office. One of the ladies told me that she has lost 15 pounds so far on her 6 month diet. She's only been doing it for one month. Now, I know that it's not right to compare myself to her...and she can and does eat all of the food. I just don't know what to do. I have alot more weight to lose compared to her.

I did tell my Nut. that I do better on low carb type plans. I don't know if she even listened to me or if this is the "one size fits all" type of plan that they give to everyone. I would love and really want to lose weight during this 6 month period but I also know that I do not want to form new habits that will not be good for me in the long run!! I don't want to get use to snacking between meals, and I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry. If I do those things I'll just keep gaining weight!!

I also wonder what the insurance company will think if I continue to gain weight while on this plan!!!!!! It's only 1.5 pounds and it's only been one of the five months but .........

So, what do you think.......... What would you do...........

TIA,

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:55 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

Not sure whether to laugh or cry!!! but if ever there was a sign that 'one diet does not fit all,' your experience is certainly IT!!!!! and actually, Chrissy, your experience demonstrates one of the main reasons that surgery exists as a weight control method - for some of us, NOTHING WORKS. and certainly NOT the standard recommended diet plan!

so, keep track with your diary. make sure you keep in at least weekly contact with the nutty NUT, so that she can document that you've been in her face and compliant and concerned and have asked lots of questions.

remember, my sweet, i gained weight on 800 calories. soooo, don't give up hope!!! it seems to me that you're proving your case here!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM   #3  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

Not being a Nut, the eating plan looks like a good one. Some thoughts I would have is What are you eating for Protein? If all beef, try fish, chicken, turkey (less calories). Veggies like potato, corn, peas, navy beans should be counted as starches, I would think. If you are eating bread for starches choose whole grain, LF varieties (35-40 cal. per slice) Veggies like green ones are better (lettuce, green beans, etc.). Choose fruits like berries, apple, over bananas, grapes. Use skim or 1% milk. MEASURE & WEIGH--Know what a serving is! This is a discipline I have to constantly reinforce, because when I guesstimate too much, that 1/2 cup becomes 3/4 c. and that 2 oz of meat becomes really 4 oz. Also, how do you prepare your food? Fried anything is not a good thing, If you put butter, gravy on veggies, potatoes, bread, that is your fat--& none is best.

Just some thoughts.
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #4  

Hi,
I think your concerns are not being heard by your nutritionist. It is her or his job to listen and guide you. It is not helpful to be gaining on the current plan and the nut needs to delve further into other options. I would be very assertive in getting this person to do the job you are paying for. If this cannot be done I would seek help from someone else.
All the best.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #5  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I think everyone has a different metabolism and everyone metabolizes foods differently. I've proved for myself, through trial and error (and a year of losing and regaining on a low-fat, high-calorie diet) that low-carb living works better for me. The weight comes off as it should and it's not a struggle when I'm LCing. I'm doing Atkins now. If your nutritionist is insisting her way is the only way, I would think about finding a nutritionist who's willing to let you try other options. If you know Lower Carb works better for you, you should have a nutritionist who's willing to look at that as an option for you. *HUG* Hang in there.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #6  

going on the premise that you are suppose to lose weight on this 6 month diet and that you are a responsible adult...like me

i would suggest the following:

cook the books.

keep two books. one for you and one for the nut.

based on your (our) history as low carbers i suspect that 8 half cup servings of starches and 3 servings of fruit is way too much for you.

i could be wrong. i often am. but i am not above tampering with things that don't work for me. sometimes discussion with tunnel vision nuts just doesn't work.

hugs,
peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #7  

I measure and I weigh the things that I am supose to. I write everything down....and I turn the paperwork into her on a month basis when I weigh in. I do count the peas, lentils, corn and other strachy things as breads.

I am able to get the protein in no problem. I am able to do the veggies I love veggies and I can do the milk...love milk, I can also do the fruit...love the fruit. It's just those stinking starches. I do love peas and corn. When I eat bread I do get the 15 grain style...I like nuts!!

I am willing to do this 'her way' for one more month. Then I have also been thinking about keeping "two sets of books" one for me and one for her....I am SOOOOO bad!!! I am just finding this to be amazing frustrating at this point.

Anyone else have anthing to add????
Old 07-19-2007, 07:49 AM   #8  
RNY 3/1/06

Height: 5'2" and shrinking

OK--you are already doing what I suggested, so I agree with the others. Tell the Nut what she wants to hear--give her what she wants to see & then do what you need to to lose the weight. That is the important thing -- not what some nut says. I have gotten far more GOOD info on this board than I did from the 1st nut I was assigned.

btw-the Nut I was assigned after surgery was also unyielding & wouldn't listen to what options were working for me. If it wasn't on her list of foods, I couldn't eat it--Now that list was 3 years old & many new (good) products have come out since then. She even told me (at my 1 year appointment) that I needed to have blood drawn to make up for the 6 month checkup one that she didn't get to see. When I asked my surgeon about it, he said "why would she think that? you can't do makeup bloodwork)
Loodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #9  

I dug out my WW info. That's the closest that I can get to the plan that she gave me. I just can not and will not form more bad habits. Thanks for all of the info. I knew I could come here and ask about this and not get flamed!!

HUGS

Chrissy