South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203/203/150

Height: 5'7"

Default trying things out

I officially start SB tomorrow but have been giving it a try since Friday.
I just don't get it,how can I lose weight eating so much.I guess I get the good carb bad carb thing,but no calorie counting?
I can have meat and eggs?
I made two recipes today, the egg muffins,yum and the homefries made with radishes,heaven.
I stepped on the scaleThursday at 203.4,THE BIGGEST I HAVE EVER BEEN.
I had pretty much accepted being fat.After all I am 49,antidepressants and a hysterectomy, that all spells fat forever to me.
I have done WW, Fat Smash ,which really made me feel awful,slimfast,just can't starve any more.SO here I go with SB.
I just don't see how its gonna work !?!

wish me LUCK
Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/196/150

Height: 5'7

You actually eat fewer calories than you would think, I'm not one to give great advice since I'm only my first week in, but eating this way has caused my appetite to go from hungry all the time to making myself eat just because I'm not hungry. I've always wondered myself how the diets work that say you can eat as much as you want of certain things, not count calories and still lose weight, but from what I've gathered, this is good carbs good fats including dairy, maybe that's the secret? My highest was 201 about a year ago so I know how you feel. GOOD LUCK, you can do it!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

pammysue! We're happy to have you joining us here on the Beach!
Yes, you can have meat and eggs, protein is very important and will help keep you satisfied. You'll be eating tons of vegetables and beans, too, in this healthy way of eating. Do you have the South Beach book? You should read it thoroughly to understand the concept of this diet and how it works.
Good luck on this new, sensible way of eating. I think you'll like it here.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hello Pammysue and welcome! SBD has been working for me so far. I have gone from a sugar addict to not wanting to eat anything much of the time in two short months. Some of the folks here do track calories, but it's not required. I didn't pay attention to calories in P1 because I mostly wanted to break the sugar cycle and get rid of the calories, so I ate if hungry as long as it was the right kind of food. But portions do matter and I'm not accomplished at portioning, so I did start using fitday to track calories when I entered P2. I try to shoot for 1300 - 1500 most days and many day I find I have to add a late snack so my calories won't be too low. I hope this will eventually become second nature and I won't need to track anymore. But I am somewhat obsessive and controlling, so who knows?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Welcome Pammy! I lost weight on Phase 1 not paying any attention to portion sizes, but once I hit Phase 2 I found I had to watch how much I was eating. The last month I've been hovering between the same three pounds, so just last Friday I started logging my caloric intake to see if I can get myself back on track. I think it depends on how much you have to lose and what kinds of things you're eating. I kind of attacked South Beach one thing at a time. During Phase 1 I was really concerned mostly with getting the sugar cravings squashed, so that's what I focused on. Then in the beginning of Phase 2 I was very focused on adding things back slowly. Now that I feel I have that balance under control I am concentrating on portion sizes and total calories eaten throughout the day.

Glad to have you join us!

Kara
Old 07-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

welcome.

of course you can have lean meat and eggs
i also highly recommend chicken breasts and fish

and LOTS and lOTS and LOTS of veggies....

this so can work...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #7  

Thanks for all the good words.
I have been on the diet 2 days now and lost 2.6 pounds!!!
cool
even though I am reading the book ,I need reassurance...I can have veges too?Guess i was thinking only meat and dairy.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #8  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

You should be eating 4.5 cups of veggies everyday at the least. Very important. Also beans and legumes. And drink lots of water. Fiber will be your friend.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:34 PM   #9  
Visualizing the Goal

YES INDEED! VEGGIES, VEGGIES, VEGGIES!

Check out some of the recipes up in the recipes section to get some great ideas for Phase 1 food that is not in the book. The key to getting through Phase 1 is keeping things varied!

Good job so far!

Kara
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/Tracker/130

Welcome to the beach. You will find this a good fit for you and this site is a good place for all your questions to be answered. I found the recipes for P1 very helpful in staying on task. Good luck. Linda
Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please join us on the Phase I thread for the week starting July 16. I'll bump it up.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Also you need to remember to eat until satisfied and that doesn't mean eat until you are stuffed or have to unbutton your pants. It means stop when you are no longer hungry. It's difficult to learn that skill because so many of us are part of the clean plate club- "If it's on my plate I need to finish it." Or do a lot of mindless eating.

Sarah
Old 07-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #13  

so true. I am guilty of finishing off everybodies plate.Never waste food.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Welcome to the beach, it is a great place to be. I am on anti-depressants and was at my heaviest weight ever when I started too. I haven't had a hysterecomy (yet) but I hear you about feeling doomed to be fat, thats how I felt when I read one of the number 1 side effects of the AD i'm on. They even give it to anorexic's to gain weight. UGH Anyway, those were the reasons that I knew I had to do something now and a great side effect i'm getting from the beach is that its working.
Closed Thread