Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #1  
Skinny Minnie in Training

S/C/G: 219/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Morning to night weight fluctuations?

So, I'm a self-confessed scale freak. I weigh when I get up and before I go to bed. I know it will fluctuate day to day (and at the TOM) and I'm OK with that. I just want to keep tabs on it because NOT keeping tabs is what got me here in the first place.

Anyway, my scale matches my doctor's, so I know it's reasonably accurate, but my evening weight is always 1.5 pounds heavier than my morning weight. There are things I could be doing to make myself appear 1.5 pounds lighter between the evening weigh-in and the morning one, but honestly, the only thing I do is brush my teeth, pee, and sleep. Where do those 1.5 pounds go? Could it really all be pee -- that would be about 24 ounces, right (if a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds)? I know my bladder can't hold that much.
queenjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

There are other places for the water to go. Respiration and perspiration being the main ones. I know if I sleep under a fan I wake up fairly dehydrated. It's especially bad if I'm congested and sleeping with my mouth open. The moving air just helps wick the water way.
balloonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

The scale used to really drive me nuts. I would swear it off for days or even weeks, then worry that I would gain weight if I didn't check in daily. Finally, I decided to familiarize myself with how it works so that I would be a little less freaked out about fluctuations, and for about ten days, I weighed every time I went into or by the bathroom. So, LOTS. For me, the first weigh-in after waking up for the day is always the lowest, after the first trip to the bathroom, of course. I fast once a month for religious reasons, abstaining from water as well, and my weight still went up throughout the day. I don't know why. So, this is less by way of explanation and more by way of letting you know that I think that your results are pretty typical. And, incidentally, if I only get two or three hours of sleep, I don't see the same drop-off from the night before to the next morning.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote