Old 07-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #1  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Question Dieting on Vacation

Im going on vacation for a week in early August and I'm going to none other than, Sin City. With all the fabulous places to eat there I'm not sure that I can stay on my diet. I called the hotel Im staying at to see if they had a gym and they do, I want to use it as much as I can. I'm going to try my hardest to stay on it my diet b/c I have worked so hard to get where I'm at right now. Any advice on how to stay on the diet and veer from temptation??
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/188/120

Height: 5'3

do they have a restaurant in the hotel maybe you could look it up online or even ones close buy alot of them have healthy things on the menus. then you could plan out were you wanted to go. when i went on vacation i ate lighter breakfast and lunch so i could have for calories at supper time too.

adah
milleradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #3  
Here I go again

Yeah, all the Restaurants in Vegas have online menus and I've seen them for the most part. My problem would be to not over indulge and the bad foods. Not to mention the alcohol available..lol
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Bring your own snacks.

They have a gym -- exercise!! Maybe try something new!

Envision for yourself ahead of time what you will eat, how much. When I travel, I am sometimes not as strict as at home, but I'm generally thinking about making healthy choices. Careful choices. I still think about everything I eat.

Oh, and exercise!!!!!!

Traveling is stressful, but I think you can find a balance where you enjoy your time, but don't go too off track. I have found that the further off track I go, the more ground I need to make up and the longer it takes to get back on track. Try to keep your long term goals in mind!!

And have fun!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Believe it or not, a buffet works for me. I look over what they have and choose a plate of food that equals a healthy meal. They have plenty of things that are appropriate for dieters. There are always lots of fruit and raw vegetables. I don't have any trouble resisting things I don't want to eat and I only go to the buffet once - maybe twice if I want more salad!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #6  
Here I go again

Thanx Wyllen,

Thanks for the encouragement. Bringing snacks is a great idea. Especially if I decide to indulge I'll work it off at the gym anyway. BTW, I love your 5 C's, I'll have to keep those in mind its a great motto to live by.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

For the most part, I don't worry about what I eat when I'm on vacation. It's a vacation, for Pete's sake. I figure if I gain weight, oh well. I lost it once, I can lose it again. And, it's true. Despite several vacations in the past year where I really did not worry about what I ate, I'm still at my lowest weight ever and only 4 lbs away from my ultimate, really, seriously, I can't lose any more weight or I'll be underweight goal.

Here are a few things that I do to try and keep some modicum of control, however:
  • Bring my own healthy snacks. This includes low calorie energy bars, fruit (bananas and apples seem to travel the best for me), and nuts.
  • Some hotels now have "healthy" menu choices (I know both Radisson and Marriott offer this), usually either low fat or low carb and also can provide nutritional info for these choices. I've never bothered with the nutritional info and I stay away from low carb, because that usually means high fat and calories, but if low fat choices are available and appealing to me, that's what I order.
  • When faced with a menu, I go through and pick out all the items that are appealing to me, then order the one that seems to be the healthiest. This keeps me from eating the pasta and other high calorie entrees that I normally gravitate to, yet I'm still eating something that I like.
  • For breakfast, egg-white omelets without cheese. Sometimes I'll have them for lunch or dinner, as well, if nothing else on the menu seems healthy.
  • Make reasonable efforts to make the food I'm eating a little lower in calories. For example, hold the mayo and cheese on sandwiches, low-calorie dressing on the side for salads.
  • Divide large entrees in half as soon as they arrive at the table and eat only half.
  • Skip appetizers and dessert. Restaurant entrees are so large, I rarely need an appetizer and rarely have room for dessert. My SO and I also never really got in the habit of ordering either appetizers or dessert, so this is fairly habitual for me, anyway.
  • With the exception of alcohol, no beverages with calories. In terms of alcohol, I usually stick with wine. Mixed drinks are much higher in calories.
  • Exercise every day. Even if my eating is terrible, but I at least I can stay on track with my exercise. It also helps me relax a little about my food choices. If a gym isn't available to me, I go running. Sometimes I go running even if a gym is available; it can be a great way to explore. Most hotels can provide jogging maps.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 07-06-2007 at 03:17 AM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Barbara -- It actually sounds like you DO worry about (or at least think about) what to eat when you're on vacation!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote