Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #1  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Default Stress causing weight-loss?

Alright, so some of you may have read my thread on General Chatter and know that I've had a stressful couple of days. Have you known stress to cause weight-loss?

I lost 7 lbs this week and my mouth just about hit the floor when the scale read 7 lbs less than last week. I mean, I'm thrilled, but wow. I know I've been working out a lot due to being stressed and that's what I do now when I'm stressed. If I'm getting emotional, I tell myself to take a hike.

*sigh* I'm happy and sad, and...*sniffle*...I just need a hug dangnabit!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #2  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Just goes to show how different we all are. When I'm stressed, I head to Taco Bell for my "fix". Needless to say, I do NOT lose weight when stressed! I'm working on de-stressing as a weight loss aid.

Good for you, BTW, on the exercising to relieve stress. That just hasn't worked for me.

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/130

Height: 5f 6in

When im in a good mood i want to bounce around and walk on my gazell and do other stuff... when im stressed ( like i was yesturday) and on a cring spree... i just get drained ...emotionally and physically... i didnt eat! that was good.... normally i would have.... but i got on my gazell and went for like 15 minutes and quit. Just tired. This morning after breakfast ( im in a good mood by the way) i got on it again but i think the milk in my cereal didnt want to be a milk shake in my stomach so i quit after 5 minutes.

Still tring to recover from yesturday, im tring to get my energy back... just sitting here reading post and getting motivated im bouncing my feet and streching my arms ( i work at the pc for a few hours aday)

anyway in short... i hate stress and it doesnt help me lose weight!
lendingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey BabyBrownEyes,

Sorry you're having such a hard time!

People react differently to stress. Those who are used to using food as comfort can eat more and gain weight. Those who tend to lose their appetite with stress can eat less and lose weight. Either way isn't really good--because if someone isn't eating enough, it puts further stress on the body, and likewise for overeating all of a sudden.

Just stay aware of your food--and keep on with your exercise; best stress reliever there is and drug free.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

For some reason, I don't do well with losing weight with stress. I don't overeat. I just don't lose. However, I must say, when my husband died, I did lose about 10 lbs in 3 weeks. That was a fluke for me.

I have recently, started doing WATP or some sort of workout to relieve stress. I have never been a binge eater, so that was not an issue. I would just sit in front of the TV or computer. Now I tend to move around.

I read your other post. Good luck with that and your stress levels. Good for you for moving instead of "stuffing".

cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #6  

A couple of years ago, I went through the most difficult crisis in my life, and I lost 7 lbs. in a week. Now, part of it was due to not eating very much, but I doubt that I cut out 70,000+ calories (which is what I would have needed to cut to lose that much). And I didn't even exercise during this time.

During normal stressful times, I don't lose any weight and may even gain (from stress eating). However, the time I referred to above, was not normal stress, and for the very first time in my entire life, I had no interest in food.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #7  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I've been going through this lately. I am on the tail end of about 10 days of very erratic/little to no eating (first being under the weather, then immediately being hit with one of those "does this hurtful revelation end your relationship" situations). I've chosen to see the 3lb drop in 3 days as a silver lining to everything else I'm going through (Not eating is not the way to lose weight, obviously, but for a very short-term situation, why not try and tell yourself to look on the bright side?)

Even if you didn't not eat 7 lbs worth of food, you have may have very little sitting around in your digestive track - that can take off another lb or two. You may be more dehydrated than usual. (Staying up all night crying apparently nets me a loss of almost 2 lbs, I discovered -- that's just dehydration.) (I do the daily weighing thing to try and learn what makes my body fluctuate -- so in another silver lining way, at least I got some interesting knowledge. )

Stress of course is inherently bad -- elevated cortisol levels can pack on more belly fat, etc. So that's great that you've found a really healthy outlet for it - I hope things get better for you.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #8  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I ate normally...a little less yesterday than normal, but not a huge difference...and I wasn't hungry. I haven't really been crying too much....I got a little misty eyed as I walked to my brothers last night (7 miles). Like I said...a good walk does me good sometimes and helps me to think things out.

I used to use food as a cushion...especially Taco Bell, but now that I'm not a pot head, I find I need to exercise. Pot used to be my release...and that caused me to eat....but now exercising and a nice fruit smoothie is my release.

On a brighter note....I've lost 40 lbs now!!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Hey sheila...sorry you are having such a difficult time, but on the bright side....Yay for 40 pounds gone!!!! Congrats. I don't really know how i react because i never get stressed. I get upset and when i get upset, i don't eat. I guess i've always been blessed that i don't stress about things, but i do get emotional. When i get like that, i sit around and cry and don't eat hardly a bite. The last time i did that, i lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. The good news is...it never came back. So yay for losing 5 pounds. At least that made me feel alittle better.

I hope things get better for you but in the meantime, hey...keep taking those long walks.....they will help you so much in the long run...much better than sitting around eating and being upset.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sheila! 40 pounds!! Why, I remember when you first started posting and you didn't think you could lose any! And then you lost 3 pounds right off the bat! Good for you girl, now you keep on going!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #11  

Yeah....it was 10lbs in 3 weeks or so for me in May. It sounds nasty, but thats been the main reason for , therefore, most of my weightloss thus far!

I'm sorry you've had a bad time

emily
xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

New reports tell me that stress can cause you to lose weight AND gain weight. It's all very multi-factorial and dependent on the individual.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote