Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Default Activity Points?

I know that walking counts and so does organized exercise, biking, swimming.

Any chance that mowing the lawn with a push mower could count or what about gardening which involves, bending, pulling, shoveling, hoeing, etc?

What do you think?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Are you kidding? Walking around in the yard pushing heavy machinary while in the heat, sweating your butt off? Uh, yeah, i would think that would count BIG TIME.

I do a lot of gardening and i count that too. Anytime there is movement and i am sweating, i count it. Ha ha.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

W/W does allow for it but for me personally I don't count anything except for traditional exercise.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

We have a large hilly yard, and when our old riding mower broke my DH wanted to run to Lowe's to buy a new John Deere. I wasn't too hip on spending that kind of money, so I said what about the push mower? It works. He responded that if I wanted to push mow it, that was fine with him, and that I was now 'in charge' of the yard. Well, I'm a little stubborn, so I got out there with the push mower in the middle of a hot July day and started to push. I was determined to finish the whole yard, and with my husband peeking out the window, I pushed and pushed. Let me tell you, that was one of the hardest workouts I think I've ever had. After about 1 1/2 my husband came out with a glass of gatorade and a sandwich and told me to stop (I wasn't nearly finished). He proved his point, and I felt like I had run a marathon.

My point is that any activity where you have your heart rate up for a sustained period of time (20 min or more) DOES count as cardio exercise, so of course it would count toward your activity points.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

p.s. That was 2 summers ago, and yes, he got his new riding mower!!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Yep, I sweat and feel like I'm getting a work out with my push mower too - it's not self propelled.

And my gardening works muscles that I forgot I had. After a good day of gardening, I can get so stiff I can hardly move. That's why I asked.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #7  

I agree with the idea of anything that can break a sweat. Traditional exercise just doesn't always *happen* for me... but if working in the yard can count, and I do count it, then I'm moving my body and it's worth counting.
Closed Thread