Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #1  

Question Does exercise make you happy?

It does me. I've suffered quite badly from depression in the past. It started as PND 11 years ago and has come and go as a more general depression ever since. I was so bad at one point fairly recently that I developed anxiety disorder and agoraphobia.

I have tried medication a couple of times but it only ever made me worse. But when I have a work out it really does give me a natural high. I can go from feeling like I can't stop crying because the world is so rubbish to bouncing as I walk, seemingly on air! All due to a workout!

I also find exercise really significantly reduces my appitite too, gives me more energy and helps me to lose weight - so I am going with the philosophy that exercise really is the answer to all my prayers!

How does exercise affect you?
clairec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

It affects me in exactly the same way! Even if I'm grumpy and whiny when I get to the gym, I am ALWAYS happy and peaceful when I leave.

I was on anti-depressants for about 7 years before I stopped taking them in 2001 because I just felt like a zombie all the time. I've done well at times (and not so well at times) with controlling my moods and reactions to things, but I have never felt as good as I do when I'm exercising regularly and taking care of my body. Though I am very tired after exercise, it does give me more energy throughout the day, and my brain also feels more alert after exercise. I am also much better at watching what I eat when I'm exercising, because it is hard work and I'm not about to counteract that in a few minutes with unhealthy food.
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I have finally come to the realization that I have a choice ...antidepressants or exercise. I am fortunate in that my depression CAN be controlled by exercise, I know not everyone gets that choice. But absolutely, I need to workout and workout HARD to keep the depression at bay.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #4  

I find walking while listening to Praise and Worship music really lifts my spirit. I still have to take pain medication afterwards because of my OA, but I feel better emotionally after walking. We walk 3 times a week 9/10 of a mile, which isn't bad for two handicapped people. We do it in about 28-30 minutes but the second part of the walk is all up hill cause we live up a hill. We went to our son's place last week and their the land is flat and we walked a whole mile.
GrandmaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #5  
DDRing my way to skinny

S/C/G: 161/154/130

Height: 5ft 3in

My mom lost her health insurance, so my meds are around $200 each and I haven't been on them for about 4 months. Ever since I started working out, I've been feeling just as good, if not better, than I did when I was on my medication.
SakuraHime9892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #6  

It is great to hear so many positive stories about exercise and mood enhancement! Exercise is fab! As you all know! Woo!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I think it depends on your level of depression. I have been off work for 1 1/2 years because of depression. For the first 6 months I didn't leave my house - some days my bedroom. With extensive Cognitive Behavior Therapy and meds I can now see my way to go for a walk or a bile ride on good days. It has been a long haul and although I truly belive that exercise makes you feel better it is not always possible.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by settie View Post
I think it depends on your level of depression. I have been off work for 1 1/2 years because of depression. For the first 6 months I didn't leave my house - some days my bedroom. With extensive Cognitive Behavior Therapy and meds I can now see my way to go for a walk or a bile ride on good days. It has been a long haul and although I truly belive that exercise makes you feel better it is not always possible.
I really understand the not being able to leave your bedroom thing as I was agoraphobic (it still comes out in me if I don't leave the house for a few days) but exercise really did help drag me out from dark depths that I did not think were possible. I think rather than exercise helping certain levels of depression, I think certain people's bodies respond to it more than others. It's like anything; not everything is going to work for everyone but with exercise I definitely think it is worth a try if you are depressed. I mean what has a depressed person got to lose?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #9  

It doesn't generally for me.

I started working out when I was 14, and I'm 19 now. In that time, my depression/mental health has peaked and dipped but overall definintely declined, despite taking at least 30 minutes exercise most days.

Hey...what do I know. I don't know how bad I'd be WITHOUT the exercise!
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinRockingChair View Post
It doesn't generally for me.

I started working out when I was 14, and I'm 19 now. In that time, my depression/mental health has peaked and dipped but overall definintely declined, despite taking at least 30 minutes exercise most days.

Hey...what do I know. I don't know how bad I'd be WITHOUT the exercise!
What sort of exercise do you do?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Exercise can help me when the depression is mild & I think it helps ward it off when I'm doing well but when the depression is bad the exercise is more likely to just leave me in a pathetic puddle of tears. I know the best plan for me is my meds & exercise. I really believe getting my weight down will significantly ease my depression.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:31 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeguard View Post
Exercise can help me when the depression is mild & I think it helps ward it off when I'm doing well but when the depression is bad the exercise is more likely to just leave me in a pathetic puddle of tears. I know the best plan for me is my meds & exercise. I really believe getting my weight down will significantly ease my depression.
I see more of a difference in myself when my depression is severe but it helps no matter what stage I am at. It really gives the world meaning!!

I think being slim will reduce my depression too but I don't think it is a direct link of slim = happy, more if I am slim I will have more energy to do stuff, I will be more confident so I'll make friends more easily and I will just not feel judged etc etc so all of that will lead to me being happier. I don't think being slim is the answer to all my prayers, but it will address many of them.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Exercise makes me happy after I have done it, but not while I'm doing it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:39 PM   #14  

I couldnt put it better myself, Lily!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #15  

Clairec -

Its varied. I used to swim a lot, and walk. Then I got into biking on my exercise bike, which had to be replaced because I used it so much..not kidding. Yoga...did an hour of that every day for months.

Right now I walk 30-60 minutes a day, and do some aerobics.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote